“Lovely and most enjoyable stay”

Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside
Ranked #137 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
Perth, Western Australia
“Lovely and most enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Great staff, very friendly and helpful. Shuttle boat to Saphon Taskin very useful. Asiatique riverfront shopping complex few minutes walk away. Would stay here again when in Bangkok. Staff in all the restaurants excellent. Rooms very clean.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WA_trekkers
klaus_sennik, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. It is a pleasure reading your comments that you had a pleasant stay with us.

We are delighted to learn that you are happy with our friendly staff, our rooms and our shuttle boat service will help accommodate our guest to easily access through BTS station. I have shared your kind words with our team and they are delighted to know about your excellent feedback.

Once again thank you for choosing to stay with us and we really look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Klaus Sennik

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I was excited to spend my last 2 nights in Bangkok in a 5 star hotel, as I had never stayed in one before and wanted to end my trip in a posh manner :-) I chose Ramada because of the location and good reviews, and also what I thought was a competitive price. It is not the cheapest but also not the most expensive 5* hotel in Bkk.

The location is great if you want to do the pier touristy things, like going to the Palace, Chinatown, Asiatique, which I suppose are most easily accessible by boat from the nearby pier. I had already done all that so for me it wasn't much of an advantage, but for newcomers it definitely helps. Mind you, the touristy things are done in one-max 2 days. The view of the river is nice, and that's the only thing you pay the 5* price for.

The hotel itself is quite alright if you don't stop to look at the little things. The old carpet in the lobby, the smell of old..everything everywhere, the staff that doesn't smile as often as you'd expect in a Thai 5* hotel. And keep in mind I'd never stayed in a 5* hotel, so really I could've been very easily impressed :-))

The room was a decent size (again, for a 5*?) with a big comfortable bed (though very soft if you've been travelling in Asia for a while, could need some getting used to. I didn't sleep very well but I definitely don't blame the hotel for it). But that's about where the good things end.

The furniture and decor, the carpet and curtains, the fixtures, everything is old and looks and feels old. The room had a very strong and quite disturbing smell, I'm guessing from the aircon. There was a stain on my pillow and hairs in the bathtub. The bathtub tap and sewer seemed to have seen better days years and years ago. The shower was a bit odd for my taste, it's a fixed shower head (not the rain type) that cannot be moved much and it's very low, so if you are taller than 1,70 I don't see how you can use the shower effectively, unless you crouch under it :-))

The TV has I believe 12 stations, about 5 of which are English channels. One of the 5 is doubled in Vietnamese. There is no DVD player. There is 1 (one) free socket in the entire room, if you need more, you have to unplug the tv or the fridge or anything else. The wifi in the hotel is exclusively based on an excessive charge (420B for 24hrs?!), which I found odd to say the very least. I would expect wifi to be complimentary in a 5* hotel, given that most guests are travelling for business purposes and need to work.

The pool is quite nice, though I didn't get the feel it was very clean. Breakfast was alright, there was variety and I suppose good enough food.

I cancelled my 2nd night and checked out after 1 night at this hotel; spent my last night in Bkk in a hotel with no stars and way better value, at 700B/night.

Not trying to be picky, but the expectations for a 5* hotel are very high, even from a newbie like me, and this hotel, in my opinion, is not even a 4*. You definitely do not get the 5* experience, which is why most people go to a 5* hotel, anyway. I have stayed in better cleaner friendlier and more helpful hoStels in Vietnam! The image of that bathroom together with the memory of the smell and the realization that I paid almost 3,000B for a night in this hotel will haunt me forever :-))

My advice is to book this hotel only if you can get an amazing price offer. I am sure there are better rooms and good sides of this hotel, somewhere, but do you really want to take the chance at almost €100/night..?

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank adynutzah
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for taking your time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. It is a pleasure to read your comment on our hotel location. We appreciate customers who take the time to tell us how we can better serve them.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment you experienced. We have shared your comments with our concerned staff and we are continuously evaluating our services and facilities and hope to reach your expectations upon your return.

May I thank you once again for your valuable feedback. We humbly hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back again on your next visit to Bangkok. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

It was really expensive for one night. We had to wait a over 10 mins to check in when all we wanted to do was go to our room and relax. It's quite far from the main areas and having to get the ferry/small boat to the nearest sky rail is annoying. However, lovely pool, nice beds and quite big rooms. Wouldn't say it was a 5 star though...

• Stayed August 2013
klaus_sennik, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. We appreciate customers who take the time to tell us how we can better serve them. We have taken good note about your comments and have shared with the concerned staff. We would like to thank you for bringing it to our attention. It was also a pleasure reading your comment about our pool and our rooms.

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you again on your next visit to Bangkok.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Rooms...
... are really no 5-star standard. They are quite old and need renovation. For a short stay it was ok.

Cleanliness...
... mould, hair and dust in our room. "only" in corners, but nonetheless not acceptable.

Breakfast...
... was good. Big variety and good quality

Location...
... directly at the river. Big Plus: hotel offers a free shuttle boat service to the center pier. From they you've good connections to everywhere.

Overall, if your expectations are not too high and you need a central hotel in Bangkok for some days, the Ramada Plaza Menam Riverside is ok.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sabrischa
klaus_sennik, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your review on the TripAdvisor. We sincerely regret that we were not to your expectations. We always listen to our guests as that is one of the best way to further develop our hotel to better meet the requirement of our guests.

May I thank you once again for your valuable feedback. Your kind words on our breakfast, location and shuttle boat service are much appreciated. We humbly hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back again on your next visit to Bangkok.

Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We were a bit hesitant to book the Ramada, having in mind that the hotel, formerly the „Menam“, had never been rated very highly and had been known to have very small rooms. But the river-location combined with an excellent price made us try it – and we were not disappointed!

After an extensive renovation during which they made two rooms out of formerly three, the hotel is now of a very high standard and can easily compete with the other riverside hotels, which are much more expensive.

We had booked a Grand Deluxe Room, asked for a room with riverview and shower instead of a bathtub (don’t know why hotels still have so many bathtubs – it is difficult to climb in and out if you want to just have a shower and they need lots more room and water than showers!) and were upgraded to a suite with nice riverviews and a big bathroom (with shower!)

Check-in was very fast and smooth, everyone was very friendly and efficient. The suite was brand-new – or so it seemed – everything was perfectly clean and the furniture was tasteful – although the sofa was a bit uncomfortable, being very hard. We liked the wooden floors – so much more hygienic than carpets! Great bathroom, wonderful soft and big towels.

Wifi was fast, and due to our upgrade, it was free.

Views from bedroom and lounge were great – but even greater are the views from the terrace during breakfast! We could have spent the whole morning sitting right at the river-front. And enjoying one of the best breakfasts in town – the food is really good and the selection quite spectacular.

The pool is nice, too – but most of the day it is lying in the shade. Good on a hot day, though…

The location is great – the free hotel shuttle-boat takes you to the Taksin Bridge every half hour, where the skytrain station is located and you can board the express boats from there. In addition, it is within walking distance to the Asiatique Market – a great place for dinner or to just browse the small stalls. Not really like the old Suam Lum near Lumpini Park, which it is supposed to replace – but a nice place at the river anyway.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SerenityHD
klaus_sennik, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this fantastic review of Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside Hotel. We appreciate customers who take the time to tell us how we can better serve them.

I am very pleased to read that you had a wonderful time with us and that overall experiences was enjoyable especially our room, riverview, food, shuttle boat and our friendly staff. I have shared your kind words with our team and they are delighted to know about your excellent feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any further assistance.

Once again thank you for choosing to stay with us and we really look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We asked for early check in and a view room, they accommodated with a lovely spacious room, and we napped before lunch. Legendary hospitality will have anyone smiling in minutes. Airport shuttle much more expensive than a metered taxi, and taxis are easy to get.If you tire of the delicious buffets, try the Indian restaurant in the square, best pakoras ever. Hotel shuttle boat every half hour right to MRT station.

Room Tip: Ask for river view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tdennis06
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experiences on the TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our room, shuttle boat and our legendary services. Your feedback will be invaluable as we formulate ways to ensure we deliver good service that our customers will love, come back and tell everyone they know. Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

500 bht taxi from Suvarnabhumi express way, over head road, see the skyscrapers, and down into Silom just before joining the Charoen Krung road, could get there on the Sky Train. Stayed here several times usually stay 4 to 5 days the last time they put me in a wing at the top 15th floor = better room out of the sun. Nice quiet place. I don't know why but they did ask if I had stayed before and one of the staff remembered me as did some at the riverside restaurant. Nice view of the river, watch the boats go by and overlooking Bang Lamphu Lang. Free boat ride to Taksin Bridge and get the ferry all the way up and down the river. The sky train (rot fai fah) is also at the bridge. Place just down the road full of small shops for the tourists but lots of Thais there in the evening. 7/11 and bank just across the road. Rather scruffy just outside the hotel. Get over the jet lag, big breakfast by the river, good room AC, TV, safe, swim in the big cool not deep pool. Go to Centre point near to Taksin bridge, upstairs for cheap food and on the road at night or have slop a lot ghai pak cow sway at the hotel by the river at night. Most of the staff like it if you speak some Thai. Cooks often give me tasty bits to take to my room. Makes yer feel good.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank FrankO713
klaus_sennik, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your continuous support and for taking the time to review our hotel and the services. This is greatly appreciated. We are delighted to hear that your overall experience with us was enjoyable especially our room, pool, river views, shuttle boat service and our location, which enabled you to see much more of the river side areas and its surroundings.

We look forward to seeing you back at the Ramada Plaza Bangkok on your next visit to Bangkok