“LOCATION TURNED OUT GREAT!”

Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside
Ranked #142 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Auburn,CA
“LOCATION TURNED OUT GREAT!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

We enjoyed our 3-night stay in this very busy hotel. There was some construction going on near the dining area which I’m sure will soon provide some lovely views of the river.
The rooms are not only spacious, but there was the thoughtful addition of robes and an umbrella.
The breakfast buffet was sometimes crowded, but there was room for everyone. There were many delicious choices both Western and Asian. We had delicious minestrone soup there for lunch ($8.50). The International Buffet in the evening was a fun place to sample dishes. You can also have your meat and fish cooked to order.
There is a complimentary boat shuttle to a main dock where you can catch the Skytrain, or take the shuttle just for the views on the river. It takes about 10 minutes one way.
There is a beautiful pool and pool area with small gardens.
Wander in the hotel to find an almost hidden gift shop (I found dressy pants for 600BT-about $20). The 15th floor will give you views of the Bangkok skyline. There was live music and some dancing in the lobby/bar area in the evenings.
Wander just out the door. Walk to the main street and to the left and across the street is a 7/11 store for extra water, etc. Walk to the main street and to the left to find Noji Salon (for less that $7 the lovely owner of this salon braided my hair into a carefree French braid that lasted for a week). Just to the right of the hotel is Bob’s Boutique (My husband had Bob copy a favorite jacket. Bob did an excellent job, but mailing it to northern Thailand became complicated. Try to pick your purchase up at the shop.). Just a 10-minute walk to the right on the main street brings you to Asiatique. It’s a beautiful modern market (meaning lots of different stalls) including places to eat. This shopping center is open only after dark.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sssnancysss
klaus_sennik, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this lovely review of our hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you were comfortable with our hotel rooms, facilities and services. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed our high quality buffet at our Terrace restaurant and our location added convenience to your stay.

You will be pleased to know that we have now embarked on a gradual 're-improvement' program to rectify certain areas; one of these is the almost-complete renovation that is currently undertaken along our river terrace. Soon this will be completed, offering our guests the luxury of a 220 meter direct river frontage and we truly hope to welcome you back for another pleasant stay with us again in the very near future.

Klaus Sennik-General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

I enjoy my stay at the hotel with boat service to the Pier - transfer to many historical sites in Bangkok. Friendly staff and attentive. The only one thing… hot water was not hot enough for a tub bath… but shower.

Room Tip: Room with view of River… Asiatique is a new evening dinning excitement with Ferris Wheels. Rooms fac...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for writing this review on the TripAdvisor.

We are happy to know that that you have been satisfied with your stay. Your comment have been noted for further action, and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future.

Berwick St John
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

When I first arrived, I fully expected this hotel to get four stars from me. I had two stays, the first of 3 nights and then, after a short stay in Kanchanaburi a further five nights. I had envisaged relaxing days around the pool, watching life go by on the river. I had asked for a room with a river view and was certainly not disappointed when I was given a lovely suite for my first stay. When I returned from Kanchanaburi, I also got a room with a very decent view of the river although on closer inspection this room was rather 'tired'.
As other reviewers have said, the shuttle boat up to Saphan Taksin is a good facility as you can then link with river boat services or the Sky Train. It does however take a good 45 minutes to get to somewhere like the Sukhumvit.
Staff were generally friendly, especially those on the concierge desk who were able to get metered taxis whenever I needed one. This is a huge benefit as local taxi drivers will charge a fortune.
The downsides however outweighed the benefits for me. The design of the hotel is such that the pool area gets very little sun, maybe 2 hours a day and due to the conference facilities, there isn't actually a view of the river from poolside. The hotel had 525 rooms I believe but only 28 sun loungers hence every time I visited the pool in the afternoon, not only was there no sun, but also nowhere to sit or lie down. There is some sort of renovation going on at the river side though I am not sure whether this will actually improve anything. Far from having a relaxing break, I found the whole situation very frustrating and not a little disappointing.
The locality isn't actually a good one, there is very little around apart from the Asiatic Market which is just a shopping complex which is very overpriced and the restaurants are mostly pretty poor. Even the one or two street restaurants are wildly overpriced, maybe because they know the tourists in the area are all going to be on 5 star budgets.
I only had one breakfast in the hotel which was frankly chaotic and the quality nothing special (I could not face the queue at the egg station).
In the evenings the lobby bar has a 'singer' which was pretty ghastly.
Because my stays were on a number of different bookings, I found that on at least four occasions I was locked out of my room and my internet connection and was forced to go back down to reception for a new key card. Despite having e-mailed them my booking confirmations and given them printed copies, they kept asking me for these, even as I was getting in a taxi to leave.
The Wi-Fi internet was very slow and the housekeeping during my second stay was completely erratic with toiletries replaced either at random or not at all, and in one case I returned well after 4pm to find that the room had not been serviced.
Toward the end of my stay, I was seriously contemplating moving to another hotel. With hindsight I should have done so. I have stayed in Bangkok on quite a number of occasions and of the hotels visited, sadly this is the one I've liked the least and I shall neither recommend it or return to it.

Room Tip: A river view is the only reason you would come here,
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AttitudeAdjuster
klaus_sennik, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write your feedback on your stay at our hotel.

We are sincerely disappointed to hear of the experience you have had during your stay. As a hotel that has been in operation for more than 27 years, we agree that there are some signs of 'tiredness', but you will be happy to know that we have now embarked on a gradual 're-improvement' program to rectify certain areas; one of these is the almost-complete renovation that is currently undertaken along our river terrace. Soon this will be completed, offering our guests the luxury of a 220 meter direct river frontage.

As for the service rendered, we wish to stress that guest comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and we are committed in making every possible effort to provide every guest a comfortable stay; and we apologize that this has not been met. Please be rest assured that immediate measures have been taken to further enhance our guest experience.

Thank you again for your constructive comments, and please allow us another opportunity to welcome you on your next visit to Bangkok.

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Smartours exceeded all expectations with their Amazing Thailand trip. This was the first hotel and was very nice. I loved walking to the Asiatique Market, 10 minute walk down the street from this hotel. The only negative was that there was an excessive charge for wifi in the room so everyone was in the lobby using the free wifi. Breakfast was unbelievable with specially made omelettes.
Our guide, Ketsara made the trip exceptional. She was knowledgeable, kind, patient and efficient.
Our price for this hotel was very good. I rated it excellent based on a price of under $100.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank CanadaSuntraveller
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write this review.

I am so glad to hear that you had such an excellent stay with us. Your satisfaction is our first priority and we take pride in achieving that. We hope to have the honour of welcoming you again and we look forward to your next visit to Bangkok.

Fujisawa, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

As the hotel is a five-minute walk to a newlly developped shopping and restraunts area of "Asiantique," I chose the hotel this time same as last. The room rate is less expensive and I got an upgraded room, a suite room, on the Executive Floor. Enjoyed free evening drink and light meal, then went to Asiantique for shopping and dinner. What I most impressed was a support for transportation provided with concierge, Mike and Kelly. Both are so cheerfull and sincere to help me to arrange a taxi. I will stay again when I visit Bnagkok.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank ttoshi2013
klaus_sennik, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your continuous support and for sharing your nice review about our hotel.

It is great to hear that you were impressed with our services and that you were well taken care of during your stay. Your kind words about our associates have been shared to our team and they are delighted to know about your excellent feedback.

Thank you for being our valued loyal guest, and we all look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visits to Bangkok.

Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed two nights four people in two twin rooms in September.

Hotel
Beautiful lobby and lush garden.
The hotel river view bar and terrace was completely abandoned and under some kind of unclear construction, so no enjoying the river view really.
The hotel is definitely past it's golden days, external is worn and dated, interior is more modern but halls and common areas excluding the lobby are still very 90's.
Spa is ridiculously overpriced, you can get prime treatments in Bangkok for half price elsewhere. Gym was small but nice.

Pool is large, clean and with great sun beds,
Unfortunately most of the pool area is in the shade so don't expect great tanning possibilities
Nice service with towels, pool bar and shower bathroom facilities near the pool.

Rooms
Large and clean rooms, 90's almost ski cottage décor with weird bathroom setting featuring a Dutch door window over the bath tub? Making the twin room we stayed in little to the imagination what was going on in the bathroom, very weird.
We stayed in the right wing, compromising the river view only to partial view.
Clean and fantastic beds!

Location
Private shuttle boat from Saphan taksin pier was a great service. So was the complementary tuk tuk ride to the nearby asiatique night market well worth a visit. Not much else in the area. Either go by taxi downtown or go by boat, but be sure to have an early night since the last boat back is at 23h.

Hotel staff and waiters were very accommodating and friendly,
As of typical Asian manner, you'll be asked to repeat and re confirm your food order two to three times…

Only thing negative is the check in procedure, you're asked to give your credit card for any 'possible expenses, like the mini bar'
When we asked if it could be in cash instead, as I don't trust most hotels leaving them with my credit card details, the check in personnel assured us that it was only the details, no money would be withdrawn until checkout if any charges applied.ok so we left our credit card details.
Not only did the hotel reserve 3000baht on our cards the day of check-in, it took 10days and two calls to get it back! Lesson learned
DON'T EVER TRUST THEM WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD and make sure you have the 3000baht cash during checkin to avoid the problems we had.

Restaurant; I highly recommend the superb breakfast buffet definitely worth the 450baht per person, with a large variety of western breakfast items and hot cold dishes.

The pool Bar snack food was ok, tried sandwiches and desserts, overpriced but good quality and western portions.

Room Tip: If you want the best river view stay in the left wing (right wing if you have the river at your back...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jo W
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write us a review on TripAdvisor.

We highly appreciate your kind comments as we always value guests' impressions and expectations whether positive or negative as it is in the way that we can continue to improve our service standards. We sincerely apologize for the delay of your refund and we have carefully looked into this matter. The feedback receive from our guests is vitally important to help us grow and provide superior service to further enhance the guest's comfort.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and we hope you will give us another opportunity to welcoming you on your next visit to Bangkok.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I'm a travel agent and have been in this hotel with my group of 28 people last October in the beginning of our tour.
Two weeks I returned for more two nights (with my wife only) and asked for a late check out. They said yes, on the second day I've reconfirmed this information twice. But when I returned from my lunch outside my room door was locked them I've informed that I should leave the room immediately or my belonging would be confiscated in case I don't pay the difference. I've explained the case to some employees (they didn't care and insisted that I should leave as a STREET DOG).
I've also to speak to either a general manager or a duty manager again no one show up to talk to me.
I've been in tourism field for more than 30 years and never seen a scene like that. One client and his wife been treated like street dogs.
Apart from that I've requested a wake up call what never works. And in the end the taxi booked from the concierge never show up either.

Room Tip: DON't BOOK this hotel unless you want to be treated as a street dog.
Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank FabioElias123
klaus_sennik, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time out of your busy schedule to share your feedback regarding your stay with us.

I sincerely apologize for the adverse experiences you have encountered during your stay with us. I was very concern to read about the way you were treated and how your check-out was handled by us. Your valuable comments have been shared with the team and please be rest assured that appropriate measures have been taken to clarify and rectify the situations.

I will be writing to you personally with an apology note shortly.

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to Bangkok.