“High quality hotel but watch out for bathrooms!”

Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside
Ranked #142 of 852 Hotels in Bangkok
Montreal, Canada
“High quality hotel but watch out for bathrooms!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

We stayed at the Ramada Menam Hotel and loved it (part of SmarTours) but the bathrooms are downright hazardous. As soon as you turn on the shower most of the floor gets flooded, including right around the toilet, so it becomes very slippery.

Apart from that we loved the vast buffet and the luxurious accommodations. We were part of a group and had asked for 2 beds but they only gave us 1 and suggested we switch with some ladies travelling together (friends), which would not have made sense.

They helpfully provided breakfast boxes because we were going on an early excursion, and even opened the breakfast buffet early another day. Free wifi very difficult to access apart from on the desktop computers in the lobby.

If you like varied breakfasts, please note that this is the last peanut butter and cheese (not together ;) ) you may see if you leave Bangkok. Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karen S
klaus_sennik, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We always appreciate candid feedback from our valued guests. We have shared your comments with our team for further improvement, and thank you for your positive comments on our food and accommodations. We hope you will allow us an opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to Bangkok.

Klaus Sennik-General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We have all been in a hotel which was more suited for business travelers and those looking to attend a conference but i think what works against the Ramada plaza is the location. It is quite far from the city and although there are some sights such as the Asiatique bazaar closeby, it doesn't really fit tourists' needs in terms of sightseeing.

The staff were friendly enough but it was a mission to find anyone who spoke English , which kind of contradicts the entire purpose of creating a business friendly environment. I know people will say that its because its Thailand and English is not their native language it is expected but it got to the point where i had to use sign language to ask for something which is quite unacceptable for an international brand like Ramada. Besides, i stayed at another hotel in Bangkok during this stay and English speaking staff were not an issue there.

The rooms were tiny, no real amenities and the TV was from the 90's so i think a technological upgrade is required for this hotel.

The hotel restaurant was nice, they had a good buffet so no complaints there.

Not much in terms of sights closeby except the Asiatique bazaar which is a food/restaurants/shopping area maybe 4 blocks away but not enough activity to warrant spending money at this hotel in a stay.

Overall, if you are a tourist looking to explore bangkok with your family or friends, would definitely recommend you stay closer to the city centre e.g. closer to Sukhumvit so you pay less in cab fare and spend less time in traffic. This hotel is good for an off site event or a conference but not much else.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here, try to get a room overlooking the river at least the view would be good
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
klaus_sennik, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us

We are sorry for not being able to meet your satisfaction regarding the points you mentioned. With regard to your comments about our location, our hotel provides free shuttle boat service to the skytrain station from where you could easily access through city center or almost anywhere in Bkk. We have shared your feedback on other points with our team for the purpose of improvement. Thank you for bringing those matters to my attention as it is our wish to try and meet our guests' expectation. Please feel free to contact me should there be any opportunities for us to be a part in making your stay more comfortable.

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you again on your next visit to Bangkok.

Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

This was by far the most expensive hotel I stayed in during my two week trip to Thailand (double the price of anywhere else I stayed) but also sadly the most disappointing! I booked it especially so that I could have a river view for the Loi Krathong festival and that was great - I could see the festival boats going up and down the river from my room and some pretty fireworks. The room itself was distinctly average though - very worn and tatty furniture. Nothing awful but certainly not worth the price I paid. A couple of other disappointments were: getting a taxi upon leaving; there were two other guests in front of me in the queue and from what I understood they'd already been waiting ages. I waited a good 20 minutes which was frustrating given I'm pretty sure I could have walked to the end of the road and hailed one instantly!!! Also, I only stayed one night and my check out was somewhat delayed because the receptionist had to phone for someone to check my room - I understand that was necessary but it was a little uncomfortable.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank sofic88
klaus_sennik, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time out of your busy schedule to share your feedback regarding your stay with us.

We highly appreciate your kind comments as we always value guests' expectations whether positive or negative as it is in the way that we can continue to improve our service standards. We regret to hear of your unpleasant experience during your stay. The feedback receive from our guests is vitally important to help us grow and provide superior service to further enhance the guest's comfort.

Thank you again for your constructive comments, and please allow us another opportunity to welcome you on your next visit to Bangkok.

Auburn,CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

We enjoyed our 3-night stay in this very busy hotel. There was some construction going on near the dining area which I’m sure will soon provide some lovely views of the river.
The rooms are not only spacious, but there was the thoughtful addition of robes and an umbrella.
The breakfast buffet was sometimes crowded, but there was room for everyone. There were many delicious choices both Western and Asian. We had delicious minestrone soup there for lunch ($8.50). The International Buffet in the evening was a fun place to sample dishes. You can also have your meat and fish cooked to order.
There is a complimentary boat shuttle to a main dock where you can catch the Skytrain, or take the shuttle just for the views on the river. It takes about 10 minutes one way.
There is a beautiful pool and pool area with small gardens.
Wander in the hotel to find an almost hidden gift shop (I found dressy pants for 600BT-about $20). The 15th floor will give you views of the Bangkok skyline. There was live music and some dancing in the lobby/bar area in the evenings.
Wander just out the door. Walk to the main street and to the left and across the street is a 7/11 store for extra water, etc. Walk to the main street and to the left to find Noji Salon (for less that $7 the lovely owner of this salon braided my hair into a carefree French braid that lasted for a week). Just to the right of the hotel is Bob’s Boutique (My husband had Bob copy a favorite jacket. Bob did an excellent job, but mailing it to northern Thailand became complicated. Try to pick your purchase up at the shop.). Just a 10-minute walk to the right on the main street brings you to Asiatique. It’s a beautiful modern market (meaning lots of different stalls) including places to eat. This shopping center is open only after dark.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sssnancysss
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this lovely review of our hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you were comfortable with our hotel rooms, facilities and services. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed our high quality buffet at our Terrace restaurant and our location added convenience to your stay.

You will be pleased to know that we have now embarked on a gradual 're-improvement' program to rectify certain areas; one of these is the almost-complete renovation that is currently undertaken along our river terrace. Soon this will be completed, offering our guests the luxury of a 220 meter direct river frontage and we truly hope to welcome you back for another pleasant stay with us again in the very near future.

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

I enjoy my stay at the hotel with boat service to the Pier - transfer to many historical sites in Bangkok. Friendly staff and attentive. The only one thing… hot water was not hot enough for a tub bath… but shower.

Room Tip: Room with view of River… Asiatique is a new evening dinning excitement with Ferris Wheels. Rooms fac...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for writing this review on the TripAdvisor.

We are happy to know that that you have been satisfied with your stay. Your comment have been noted for further action, and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future.

Berwick St John
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

When I first arrived, I fully expected this hotel to get four stars from me. I had two stays, the first of 3 nights and then, after a short stay in Kanchanaburi a further five nights. I had envisaged relaxing days around the pool, watching life go by on the river. I had asked for a room with a river view and was certainly not disappointed when I was given a lovely suite for my first stay. When I returned from Kanchanaburi, I also got a room with a very decent view of the river although on closer inspection this room was rather 'tired'.
As other reviewers have said, the shuttle boat up to Saphan Taksin is a good facility as you can then link with river boat services or the Sky Train. It does however take a good 45 minutes to get to somewhere like the Sukhumvit.
Staff were generally friendly, especially those on the concierge desk who were able to get metered taxis whenever I needed one. This is a huge benefit as local taxi drivers will charge a fortune.
The downsides however outweighed the benefits for me. The design of the hotel is such that the pool area gets very little sun, maybe 2 hours a day and due to the conference facilities, there isn't actually a view of the river from poolside. The hotel had 525 rooms I believe but only 28 sun loungers hence every time I visited the pool in the afternoon, not only was there no sun, but also nowhere to sit or lie down. There is some sort of renovation going on at the river side though I am not sure whether this will actually improve anything. Far from having a relaxing break, I found the whole situation very frustrating and not a little disappointing.
The locality isn't actually a good one, there is very little around apart from the Asiatic Market which is just a shopping complex which is very overpriced and the restaurants are mostly pretty poor. Even the one or two street restaurants are wildly overpriced, maybe because they know the tourists in the area are all going to be on 5 star budgets.
I only had one breakfast in the hotel which was frankly chaotic and the quality nothing special (I could not face the queue at the egg station).
In the evenings the lobby bar has a 'singer' which was pretty ghastly.
Because my stays were on a number of different bookings, I found that on at least four occasions I was locked out of my room and my internet connection and was forced to go back down to reception for a new key card. Despite having e-mailed them my booking confirmations and given them printed copies, they kept asking me for these, even as I was getting in a taxi to leave.
The Wi-Fi internet was very slow and the housekeeping during my second stay was completely erratic with toiletries replaced either at random or not at all, and in one case I returned well after 4pm to find that the room had not been serviced.
Toward the end of my stay, I was seriously contemplating moving to another hotel. With hindsight I should have done so. I have stayed in Bangkok on quite a number of occasions and of the hotels visited, sadly this is the one I've liked the least and I shall neither recommend it or return to it.

Room Tip: A river view is the only reason you would come here,
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AttitudeAdjuster
klaus_sennik, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Bangkok Menam Riverside, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write your feedback on your stay at our hotel.

We are sincerely disappointed to hear of the experience you have had during your stay. As a hotel that has been in operation for more than 27 years, we agree that there are some signs of 'tiredness', but you will be happy to know that we have now embarked on a gradual 're-improvement' program to rectify certain areas; one of these is the almost-complete renovation that is currently undertaken along our river terrace. Soon this will be completed, offering our guests the luxury of a 220 meter direct river frontage.

As for the service rendered, we wish to stress that guest comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and we are committed in making every possible effort to provide every guest a comfortable stay; and we apologize that this has not been met. Please be rest assured that immediate measures have been taken to further enhance our guest experience.

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Smartours exceeded all expectations with their Amazing Thailand trip. This was the first hotel and was very nice. I loved walking to the Asiatique Market, 10 minute walk down the street from this hotel. The only negative was that there was an excessive charge for wifi in the room so everyone was in the lobby using the free wifi. Breakfast was unbelievable with specially made omelettes.
Our guide, Ketsara made the trip exceptional. She was knowledgeable, kind, patient and efficient.
Our price for this hotel was very good. I rated it excellent based on a price of under $100.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank CanadaSuntraveller
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write this review.

I am so glad to hear that you had such an excellent stay with us. Your satisfaction is our first priority and we take pride in achieving that. We hope to have the honour of welcoming you again and we look forward to your next visit to Bangkok.