“What a shocker!”

Ranked #783 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Bangkok, Thailand
“What a shocker!”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The old saying is your get what you pay for and the Unico Express is a good example of that. I did wonder why their pictures on the website were all from the outside and of local attraction more than of the rooms.

I was very surprised and hopeful when I was dropped off out the front, very nice reception area and very friendly staff......all 20 of them. The check in was straight forward and the staff extremely efficient and was escorted to my room with a porter carrying my bags.

This is where it goes bad. The room is shocking, small, dirty, damaged and just bad. The TV only has 10 working channels and maybe one in English and Ill be here for week with just me and the BBC! There is actually graffiti on the wall beside the bed.....never seen that before! The light beside the bed is just hanging off the wall, the lino flooring was lifted up and missing pieces.

Anyway, the location is good and the price is ok and the bed is pretty comfortable but you can do better.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Gary S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Hotel is central, reasonable rated, good and friendly staff, clean rooms and neat bathrooms rooms. What was the highlight is the good quality bed. I stayed in delux room. If I visit Bangkok, here is where I would stay.

Room Tip: Choose delux room here.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 17 November 2013

in a nutshell, if you are used to staying in decent hotels when you travel but because of the low price you pick unico express, a bad bad decision. I stayed in this hotel 5 nights last year only because it was close to Bumrungrath hospital. Everything about this hotel is below average. You get what you pay for. I know some other decent hotels around the hospital now (around $60 per night mark). Never going to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tomal62

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Taipei
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I came to BKK every year , this the most terrible hotel , I has been stay so far ,
when I open the room , bathroom was dirty , and everything in room look old and dirty , the door look like someone was break in , when I inform front desk ,first in the begin was agree me move to other room in second day , and second day in the morning when I went to front desk ask move room , they told me hotel full booking , if I want move room I have to pay extra 15 USD to better room , I told them I will not pay extra money , they either clean the room they was gave to me , or move me to other room , funny thing is they have space for me to move after I told them I will not pay extra , really bad experience , never stay here again ,

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Mawanella
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Value for the price but price is not everything, I will not go this cheap again, since it was just one night we booked in to the hotel, it was not expected, rooms were big but need refurbishing, it was nothing what they show on Agoda, the BF was OK, staff too was not that bad, when we came back there was no power and they dint have a backup generator so no elevator we dint want to climb all the way may be some 18 floors, we slept on the couch knowing there wouldn’t be AC too in the room, I wonder what happens to the elevator while on the move, are we going to be stuck there? check this before booking, overall this what you get for what you pay, if you’re on budget go for it or pay more for the TAXI and be out of town, this is not my type of hotel

Room Tip: Try to get in low floors
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
melbourne, australia.
Reviewed 22 October 2013

after an overnight flight and arriving tired and jet lagged at 7am i was told my room wouldnt be available until 2pm......extremely unimpressed. no offer of water, coffee or breakfast from the disinterested staff. front desk suggested i might like to sleep by the pool! rather than rest on one of many couches. i waited and i waited. at 11am i was shown to my economy room. believe me, nothing like the photos! black mould in the bathroom, dirty old tap fittings, a rusty, dinged up refrigerator i would expect to find in the tipping yard and a bashed up sideboard/cupboard with its edges so damaged you could see its chipboard construction underneath the plastic veneer, also long overdue for the scrap heap. i was shocked. definately not what i was expecting. and i was quite prepared to trudge the streets and find a new hotel if things didnt get better. i paid 300 baht per night extra for a very comfortable upgrade.....the complete opposite.....clean white cotton linens, modern fittings, smart bathroom, newly re-furbished, good aircon and lighting, secure and with a safe. and then there was the breakfast debacle - cold food, scraps of food, no fast top ups of what was being consumed quickly, no frills food, fake orange juice, tepid coffee and tea super super weak, uncleared tables, incompetant staff/not enough staff (given the large tour group present), violent movies on large flat screen and bad piped music competing. so given everything i have said, tolerance levels, aesthetics, food quality, etc on my/your holiday need to be considered......i can't recommend this hotel, as much as it's staff's typical thai politeness tried it's operation was too clunky and clumsy for me to feel completely comfortable......i guess you only get what you pay for. and just to add....rooms were under re-construction whilst i stayed.....that's promising!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank roamlikequeens
Kolkata
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I request not to stay in this hotel. All the pictures given in the website are COMPLETELY FAKE..
I room size is too small to stay...bed covers were dirty, no window in the room, suffocating, narrow aisle passage, staffs were not supporting.Ver bad ambience, dirty. We stayed there from 11th Sep - 13 Sep 2013..
PLEASE NOTE :- Specially for INDIANS, the door of the washroom is completely transparent in SUPERIOIR ROOMS, even there is no curtain.
The sofa set of the Deluxe rooms are simply pathetic..
We made a mistake of booking this hotel and paying for it....
Plz dont make the mistake like us...
Better make a comfortable stay with the same price in other hotels..

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends