“4TH FANTASTIC STAY”

Ranked #21 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
uk
“4TH FANTASTIC STAY”
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Our 4th stay in this wonderful hotel, the staff are second to none. From the outset, when you arrive at Shangri-La , you are made to feel welcome and valued.
We choose to stay in the Krungthep Wing, its very palatial, rooms are lovely, quite oldey-worldey in decor, but very classic. Superb beds, beautiful linens and spotlessly clean.
Bathrooms are large, well equipped with separate shower cubicle, double sinks and loads of toiletries and towels/robes.
Included in Krung Thep wing are, complimentary soft drinks and water in your room, also by the private pool, breakfast , which is excellent, a choice of buffet or waiter service, with the most fantastic fruit juices. Later in the day, High tea is offered, beautiful sandwiches, scones, cakes , a selection of teas.....FANTASTIC !
Then , after a lovely day by the tranquil pool, you have the evening coctails to look forward to !
Literally anything you like to drink, and a wonderful finger buffet to enjoy !
In previous years, this has been accompanied by a singer, sadly, she has now been transferred to the main wing of the Shangri-la !
Staff in this hotel are fabulous, from the doorman through to the pool boys, always polite, smiling, warm and friendly.
On this trip, we went to Hua Hin, but due to the coldest weather ever on record in Thailand, we had to return to Bangkok early, on our return, we stayed in the main Shangri-la Wing, as the Krungthep was full.
We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite, with Horizon Club benefits, this too was fantastic, the room was huge, seperate lounge area, tv in the bathroom and fantastic views over the River.
The Horizon lounge has spectacular views as is so high, and again , all the staff are superb.
Here you also have the benefits of breakfast, soft drinks and snacks thrroughout the day, and evening coctails.......so very hard to say which is nicer !

A review written recently, suggests this is a 3star property, I totally disagree, I travel the world on business, and stay in all the major Chain hotels, and the Shnagri-LA , Bangkok , to me, is probably one of the finest in the world for the price you pay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank BricklayerUk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,873)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
manchester
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We stayed here 3 years ago in a horizon club room, this time we decided to try the Krungthep wing so I have based my review on what we found different this time.
I asked for a high floor room away from the bridge, which is what we received. I had also advised that we would be checking in early at approx 9 am and this was not a problem.
I booked our transfers through Oriental escape who were ready and waiting for us at the airport, on arrival at the hotel a receptionist saw the car pulling up and was waiting at the door to escort us up to our room and inform us of the privileges and benefits of the Krungthep wing, she also told us that she had picked up our requests from our golden circle membership.
The room itself was a decent size with a good balcony, I really enjoyed watching the river traffic. On arrival our butler asked what fruit we liked and we had this in our room fresh everyday. The decor of the room was nice, it was very clean. I could not tell you wether the tv was lcd or an old style as that is not important to me all that I can say is that they worked fine. As mentioned in other reviews the bathrooms are probably due for a refurb but they were fine, with a large shower, bath, toilet and two sinks they are of a good size and the reason they could do with a refurb is that it is all marble so a bit out dated but very very clean.
The lounge were breakfast is served is just off the lobby and is very nicely decorated, the breakfast was good with a selection of cereals, fruit, pastries, cheese, cold meats and a very good egg menu. We never went for afternoon tea as we eres out sight seeing, however we did go for cocktails and canapes every evening, the margarita was excellent. The canapes were a selection of hot which the waiters brought around and cold which was on a buffet.
So if we went again which would we choose.
The Krungthep wing is in an ideal location as it is next to the skytrain and the boats, however it was very very quiet in the riverside lounge. The one thing I wasn't too happy with was that there was a strict dress code which we stuck to and were happy to, however there were some businessmen who had "guests" for the evening cocktails and they were in very short denim shorts, I think that the dress code should be for everybody but that is my one and only gripe.
You have free soft drinks and access to a separate pool in the krungthep wing and the service is fantastic.
The horizon club is busier, which gives it more of a buzz and it is situated in the shangri la wing and the rooms have all been refurbished to a very high standard, however because it is busier the service is not as good as in the krungthep wing.
All in all I would not hesitate to stay in either.
Whilst there we did the dinner cruise on the horizon 2 it was very good, a bit pricey but no more than you would expect for a dinner cruise of this calibre.
We didn't try any of hotel restaurants as we tried them last time so we wanted to go out and try local restaurants. I spotted queen of curry on arrival and we visited a couple of times. I would have walked past if it had not been mentioned in reviews as it was so small but very good food at an excellent price.
All in all we had a fabulous time and would not hesitate to go again. We love being by the river as it is fantastic to watch the river traffic and it is a bit of serenity in a mad city.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank vicki m
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Five star hotel? Really? I think not!!
Let me start off by saying I am a picky traveler and I do have high expectations, especially when paying $260.00 a night. I made my reservations after reading and seeing that this hotel was rated a 5 star hotel. I am not sure how the 5 star rating is giving out but I can tell you that this hotel is not a 5 star property.

I made my reservations a month in advance and wanted to be sure my room was setup with an extra bed for my son. Upon check in I was told that the room was ready. When we arrived at our room, well you guessed it, it was not ready. No extra towels or amenities, the bed was not even in the room. I called house keeping and was told that the extra bed was canceled. I called the front desk and they informed me that the bed was on its way. After a 30 mi wait, I called again, only to be told that they thought the bed wasn't needed. 45 min later they bed arrived but without the towels. Ok so thing happen.....

The room was over looking the river, I was put on the 10th floor (even thought I requested a higher floor) The room was nothing special. Very small room, bathroom was roomy with a separate shower and bath tub. Amenities were not refilled daily. Nice LCD TV with a variety of English channels. Turn down service is offered nightly.

The next morning we woke up and headed down to the breakfast buffet. The hotel did a good job with the buffet. Then i was presented with a bill. The room I booked included the breakfast buffet. The waiter apologized and took the bill back, only to come back with another bill charging me for one additional person. I finally had to go to the front desk to have them fix the mistake. Ok things happen.

Later that night I could hear a dripping noise coming form the in-room air conditioner, I called and ask for someone to look or at least fix the dripping, that person never came. Ok things happen.....

The next day I was taking a tour and needed some towels, instead of using the plush towels in our room I asked the front desk if I could use the pool towels. I was told no problem. I went to the pool only to be greeted by a pool attendant who began to argue with me that I could not use his towels. I tried to explain what I was told and the attendant became angry and started to raise his voice. Finally I just ignored him and took the towels. Yes I returned them the same day. Ok things happen......

The three pools on property are nothing special, small not very impressive.

The good? Well close to the sky train, but if the traffic is light its cheaper to catch a cab. Water taxi is also within walking distance. open market outside the hotel property was interesting.

Ok so things happened 5 star hotel I think not, at best gang I give this hotel a 3 star. The hotel food and drink is a total rip off, you will get nickeled and dimed with everything. The service was good, but Thai are always known for being friendly. You will do better at a Hilton or Hyatt at half the price.

I really wish I had taken heed with the others reviewers who warned of this hotel. Its not bad...it just not 5 star.

Room Tip: Dont book a room at this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank F5993GMericd
dehsA, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok, responded to this review, 20 June 2011
Thank you for reviewing our property, relax808. We truly apologise your stay with us had been unpleasant. Please kindly get in touch with our Hotel Manager Mr. Martin Brenner at martin.brenner@shangri-la.com at your earliest convenience and he will address this issue with you directly. We hope you will choose our hotel for your next visit to Bangkok and we will ensure your stay will be a much more pleasant experience.
Brighton, UK
Reviewed 18 June 2011

This hotel is stunning, set on the riverbank with easy access to the skytrain and riverboats.

We stayed here for 3 nights, in a river view balcony room. The room was a pretty good size (huge bathroom though!). The room is furnished very well, everything is clean and modern. The balcony is quite small but adequate, with a table and 2 chairs. Nice to sit out and see the madness going on down below you on the river! There is free wi-fi in the rooms too.

The pool area was lovely, a big pool with plenty of sun loungers, and you are given bottles of iced water and cold towels which is a nice touch.

The breakfast buffet is amazing, no end of choice and the food was very good. Very large restaurant too, so never had a problem getting seated. If you have a chance then definitely try the chocolate boutique afternoon tea, however make sure you are VERY hungry before you do though!

The hotel staff were really friendly and helpful, from the concierge who sorted out sightseeing trips to housekeeping who sewed on a button that had come off my trousers (probably after the afternoon tea!).

This really is a 5* star hotel and I would recommend it to anyone staying in Bangkok.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank gill_n
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Maybe I expect too much from a 5 star hotel, or maybe they just dont deliver.

Have stayed previously at Shangri La Singapore and was believing this was going to be similar, of which it was. Greeted initially by the man in the great costume, then checked in where they had my surname as my first name, being called Lee. Bags taken to my room and staff polite but succinct - very formal, was my recptionist. The lobby of the hotel is beautifully styled as you expect from Shangri La, opulent, spacious and the boutique stores segregate off into the peripheries, and also right to the back of the building near the Krung Thrup Wing.

The rooom is exactly the same as SIngapore, apart from a little alcove to sit in at the window to watch the river baots and bustling activity. Fruit is left daily, unless you did not eat the days before. This can vary, but is a great trait of Shangri La, especially if you've not bought any. :)

Room is average size and luckily I had internet includedin the charge but found that the wifi connection was sometimes a ltitle intermittent, especially when other people may be using it as well i.e morning when business people checking their emails - then it crashed. I do hate hotels that charge pricey room rates and then also high internet charges.In the Lobby WiFi was always free.

Gym is of a great size and working, some older than others, equipment. Nice sauna, steam room and Spa, but bit of a small area. Great size pool outisde but can get a little busy during the day if the hotel is full. Krung Thrup wing has a pool but only for thier guests.

Breakfast provides a wide selection of all nationality foods to suit everyones tastes, from sweet to savoury. Mushrooms are not western style mushrooms. Hotel food was adeqaute on the 2 times I ate. Western ad thai, and I am sure you can get the same if not better quality outside for 1/4 the price. A great restaurant just downt he road is one called Mazzaro - beautiful, and great cocktails too for a really good price. A relaxed classy looking place that is inexpensive.

Toilettries are basic Shangri La non branded, with toothbrush, comb, soap. Also shower and bath are seperate, with really plush towels. Nightly turn down service with little quote book mark left each night. No slippers.

Nice chocolate bar and hot chocolate near the ground floor bar (name escapes me), and also does coffee for those aussies craving one! I had the hot choc(gorgeous!!) but friends said it was OK.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank lee_down_under
Edinburgh, Scotland.
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Where do I start- hadn’t been here for 2 or 3 years so was a very pleasant to be welcomed back. The service was impeccable from the doormen right through to the Club Lounge management. We stayed in Horizon Club rooms and upgraded to a suite at little extra cost. Rooms had all been refurbished and it is all the extra little touches such as high speed and completely free wifi throughout the hotel (no passwords etc) the ipod docks/tv in the bathroom superb work facilities, river views, the toiletries, high pressure shower massive beds and just every request catered for. We skipped the club lounge breakfast in favour of the riverside restaurant with it’s massive selection of all cuisines. Personally I prefer to stay beside the river as it is so easy to hire a boat or take a cab wherever you need to be and the Skytrain station is just outside the Krunthep wing which takes you to the main shopping malls and Patpong in 10 minutes or so. I have stayed at many so called 5 star hotels all over the world but the service, facilities and impeccable management here outshine them all. A superb start to our holiday.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank ChazEd
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Suddenly feel like returning to Bangkok after not been there for years, and decided to book the Shangri-La on the same day of my arrival. I am glad my choice was right. The pick up service to the hotel in a luxury BMW was great, driver was very gracious throughout the journey to give towels and check for comfort.
Upon arrival, we decided to pay extras (upsold) to the Club room which has a great view of the river. The Horizon lounge service was great in general; staff was courteous as expected. The renovated Cafe was beautiful, and the breakfast selection plentiful and sumptious for us to begin the day. I thought, however, the staff could be more engaged in the breakfast service.
I like to point out that the Concierge staff (could not remember his name) was very helpful thoughout when I asked for directions in Bangkok. He had assisted in the floating market arrangement.
The light rail besides the hotel is a plus conveniently for travellers to explore around the city especially when the taxies can be challenging. I would love to return if I do travel to BKK in future......

Room Tip: Book a riverview room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends