“VERY GOOD BUT...”

Ranked #20 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“VERY GOOD BUT...”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Very good but it did not have the same standard of luxury of its counterparts in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore (I stayed in Bangkok for four nights). The aspect that rankled the most was that when I booked this hotel back in the middle of 2011 (for my trip to Bangkok in February 2012) I informed them that my flight would get in early in the morning & I would therefore require an early check-in. I asked them to inform me of any extra charge this might entail. I heard nothing except the confirmation of my booking.

Nearer my arrival date I checked that they had noticed my request and then was informed that they would 'probably be able to give me early check-in but they could not guarantee it and therefore I should pay for an extra day - 6300BHT (£136.95). I paid this as I was not prepared to wait from 8.30am to 2pm for a room if it was not ready on arrival (having had a journey of some 20 hours to get there!). Not good Shangri-La especially when the other two mentioned did not charge me for the same thing...wonder if I would haVe got the early check in anyway?

The hotel charge for transportation from/to the aiport is extortionate (this for ALL hotels) the ordinary taxi fare, which you should agree with the driver before hand, is 400BHT and should include all tolls etc. Compared to 2500++BHT...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank llegnalem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,911)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 16 March 2012

My wife and I stayed in the shangri-la in Bangkok for the first three nights of our honeymoon in Bangkok, for a city break before we headed to Phuket for some R&R. The staff were very helpful and attentive, without being overbearing and allowed peaceful enjoyment of the facilities (and lovely pool).

The room was of adequate size, and well appointed with necessary furnishings, and a very comfortable bed. It also had a wonderful view of the river.

The hotel bars were similarly relaxed, one riverside with a live musician, the other indoors with live music and a martini special offer!

The only conceivable downsides to this hotel are that it's location means it can be a bit of an effort to get to interesting tourist sites (although access to both river services and sky train are very close), and that with 600 rooms, it can feel at times impersonal (although the staff seem to go a long way to remedy this).

Would definitely recommend to anyone wishing to see Bangkok but also have a little peace and quiet!

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Steveholt1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We stayed here for one night prior to our flight back to London after spending 12 nights island hopping. Our room which was located on the 12th floor did not disappoint with fabulous views across the river. We returned

An absolutely wonderful place to stay, the staff, room, service and amenities are all first class. We returned to the Bar after a full day of sightseeing and enjoyed the special promotion on Martini's which was a great nightcap.

We enjoyed the best night's sleep of our holiday which made for a perfect end to our holiday and set us up for our return flight home!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BaxtersUK
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Great hotel. I've stayed in a few Shangri-La hotels and Traders too and this hotel is up to par with the standard of the group.

I'm not a fan of Bangkok but a good hotel makes the difference. I'll be back and I'll stay at the Shang.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank JWGT1957
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We stayed at the Shangri-La at the end of February in the Krungthep Wing.

What an amazing hotel amongst the degradation of down town Bangkok. You either love or hate Bangkok and after our first visit we do not think we will return. However the Shangri-La was a joy. The king size room overlooking the river was fantastic; with the best air conditioning we have ever encountered and boy did we need it. We had all the trappings of a 5 star luxury hotel and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to family and friends.

The breakfasts were excellent and the complimentary afternoon tea was as good as anything you get at a top notch London hotel.

All the staff were extremely attentive and particular praise must go to the concierge team who were on top of their game.

If you are going to Bangkok spoil yourself at the Shangri-La, you will not regret it.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YorkhirePudding
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Had a super 3 night stop here at the end of our holiday to Australia and New Zealand. Service excellent and everyone was so polite. We booked a de luxe river view room and we would have been so upset if we hadnt. We were on the 12th floor and the view was supurb. We ate at the Salathip restaurant with our son and his girlfriend on our last night. The meal was excellent quality and service attentive and unobtrusive. We enjoyed the traditional music and dance. Beware of the calories in the Chocolate Boutique
We appreciated the late checkout and offer of a shower in the gym on our last day as we had a night flight back to europe
Would love to go back for a longer stay

Room Tip: De luxe river view with a high floor
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tommo2210
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Had a wonderful 4 night stop here at the end of our holiday to Thailand. Service was very efficient and so beautifully polite. We stayed on the 9th floor in a deluxe river view room - think we would have been gutted if we had not booked a balcony/river view room! Even though the hotel is situated in a rather busy part of the river we were not disturbed by any noise and in fact it was rather soothing when sat out on the balcony after dinner! Breakfast array was vast and we did chuckle at the fact you could have curry for breakfast (as seems to be the norm in Thailand) I haven't really got a sweet tooth but ended up having the bread and butter pudding twice (tasted more like a creme brulee to me). We also went on the river cruise organised by the hotel - it was OK and perhaps would recommend if you are only there for 1 night - in hindsight had we have known we would see the river so many times by day& night we wouldn't have booked it. We also ate in the Angellini italian restaurant on our last night - service and food were spot on! The service at the pool was second to none, from putting our towels on our beds for us (how lazy were we let to be!!) to the speedy delivery of delicious poolside snacks! Hotel was spotless throughout, loved the fluffy dressing gowns and slippers in the rooms. Dress is smart - smart/casual - and not the sort of bar you would feel comfortable visiting when you return from sight seeing dressed in shorts/t-shirt etc (not a criticism at all - just an observation). Great that you can walk all the way through the air conditioned hotel to the sky train (via the Krungthep wing). Ensure when using the river to get about that you use the local water ferries and not the tourist ones - they charge twice the price.(if in doubt follow the business type folk) Also we were offered several tours by our rep - you can get to the palace, leaning buddha etc yourself quite easily and very cheaply - no need to shell out for expensive tours! All in all, an excellent stay and like previous reviewers perhaps we didn't spend as much time as we would have liked in this lovely hotel, but there is just so much to do and see outside of their doors!! Oh yeah nearly forgot - the beds are divine!!

Room Tip: River view/balcony and the higher up the better for the view and the if you are sensitive to noise...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple