“I can't wait to go back.”

Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok
Ranked #22 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We've stayed in a few Shangri-La's around the world and there is something about this chain and in particular this hotel in Bangkok that I completely fell in love with. I'm not sure if it was the fact that we had just spent our first two weeks in Thailand and I had just discovered it was my favorite place in the world or just the sheer opulence of the hotel itself?

I normally much prefer modern less formal hotels and the decor here is grand and sometimes fussy. I think it can look very old fashioned in pictures and some of the rooms look dated but the rooms are in fact decorated to a very high standard and have great facilities.

The service is impeccable, some of the best I've experienced in the world. The whole place feels relaxing, charming and completely comfortable. You really have to be there to understand the experience.

We stayed in the Krungthep Wing which is a bit more expensive but you get so much added in it kind of all works out. This included at wonderful high tea on our arrival in the restaurant over looking the river which two hours later was followed by cocktails and canapés in the bar and even sundowner cocktails brought to the balcony in your room by your butler. It really was the most wonderful experience and the perfect end to our holiday.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David M

Reviewed 11 August 2012

We stayed in the Krungthep wing with two other couples and the staff, facilities and overall experience could not have been better. Every single one of us were in awe every moment that we spent there. The Krungthep wing , like the Horizon rooms are a little more expensive but if you can stretch to it, don't give it a second thought. If getting a complimentary cocktail brought to your room early evening by your own personal butler along with a plate of delicious canapés to set you up for the evening ahead sounds good to you then look no further than here. We've left with memories that we will hold close to our hearts thanks to all the wonderful staff. Next time we're in Bangkok, we won't consider nowhere else! Thank you!

Room Tip: The Krungthep wing affords you a view of the river with your own balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Butangkawi
Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

Nothing less than a perfect hotel. Good location just next to the river and next to the sky train station. I would say its one of the best hotels in Bangkok. The rooms are renovated and big. With a view over the river the rooms get a 5/5. The pool area is also renovated and also gets a 5/5. The only down side is at high season there is hard to get a sunbed. The service is amazing, nicer and more helpful staff is hard to find. A great hotel in total that's gets 5/5 every day of the week. I have stayed here five times and I would never heaitate to go back!

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank experiencedtravelIer
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Wow. This hotel experience literally took my breath away. The only other hotel that comes close was the Dussit Thani's Rattanakosin suite. But the Shangra-La wins the overall experience without even breaking a sweat. I've stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world. Thailand. USA. Mexico. Canada. Japan. Taiwan. The Shangra-La is a MUCH better value and provided an overall experience that absolutely left the competition lightyears behind.

Our in-residence butler, Phillips, is a big part of what made our experience. Everything from travel assistance to happy hour drinks to advice about tours and culture -- Phillips was always there to help us with a beautiful Thai smile on his face. He was, as they say in America, the icing on the cake! He took our experience over the top from being just a great hotel experience to being a personalized adventure where every whim and need was perfectly catered to.

If you ever stay in the Krungthep Wing, I strongly recommend that you request Phillips by NAME personally. He will make your experience one that you will never forget.

I hope to stay at this hotel on EVERY visit that I make to Bangkok from now on. It really makes a world of difference. The spa is world class. The food is some of the best in Thialand. The facilities are fantastic. The river location makes getting around even easier than the BTS because you can take water taxis. I wish I could find ANYTHING to complain about, but the honest truth is that I can't. I have absolutely NO complaints -- only compliments.

I saw that they also offer serviced apartments. While I may not be in the market for housing in Bangkok right now, if I ever am, I am absolutely going to look into an apartment at Shangra-La and request that Phillips be our butler. I really can't praise Phillips highly enough. Nothing we requested was ever a problem, even when we thought that maybe we were asking too much!

I LOVE THIS HOTEL!!!! IT IS TRULY PARADISE!!!!!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the Krungthep Wing will provide an experience that you will never, ever forget...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Flagstaff928
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Firstly I must state that there are two sides to this property and we stayed in the Krungthep wing overlooking the river. Having arrived at the other part of the hotel, we were whisked away in a late model BMW and taken to the correct place. The staff were very welcoming and professional.
Our room overlooking the bustling and colourful river was beautifully appointed. Inclusions of internet, afternoon tea, free alcholic beverages and delicious snacks during happy hour (5.30 - 7.30 each night), free soft drinks in mini bar, free pressing for 2 garments per person, a delightful butler like Emmy to make you feel even more special and more importantly with the ability to make reservations or phone calls for you in Thai, very helpful. Thai restaurant has a delightful river setting. We will definately stay there again on future trips to Bangkok.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kduce
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We had a booking for a Horizon Club room but were upgraded to a balcony room on the 21st floor as the hotel was aware that it was our 25th Wedding Anniversary. There was also a welcome letter and some chocolate designs from the chocolate boutique on the lobby level.
Normal high standards for the Shangri La brand. The beds and pillows are always a treat to sleep on.
Horizon club lounge on the 24th floor was very good and the service was 1st class.
Breakfast in Next2 was always superb with the biggest range of foodstuffs you could imagine.
All of the staff were very well trained and could not do enough for you, and always service with a smile.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian M
Reviewed 6 August 2012

For our second trip to bustling Bangkok we decided to stay at the Shangri La. From the outset we loved it. We had prebooked Horizon Club access which allowed us to check in from our room. Some reviews have commented unfavourably on the attitude of the reception staff, but this was certainly not our experience. Without exception we found them to be polite, helpful and considerate. Our executive suite was superb. The views could have been better, but that wasn't an issue. The rooms were large & well appointed, with fresh fruit & toiletries daily. We couldn't fault them.

We were very impressed by the Horizon Club on 24th floor. We received complimentary drinks (beer, wine, cocktails or soft drinks) and snacks, which varied nightly. The service in the Horizon Club was impeccable.

The Shangri La is very centrally located, just a few minutes walk to the Skytrain station or the ferries which run up and down the Chao Praya river. If you can put up with the heat and traffic, it is also only about 20 minutes walk to Patpong market with its dubious delights. Stand by for some pretty constant badgering from taxi & tuk tuk drivers if you walk out of the hotel - they are persistent but polite.

We didn't use the riverside pool much, but when we did, it was worth it. Staff there are like those throughout the hotel - polite & willing to help. The outdoor bars are fairly expensive, but are a tropical treat, particularly on the warm Bangkok evenings. We particularly enjoyed the breakfast buffet, it was nothing short of world class, with high quality breakfast foods from all over the world to cater for all tastes. Let's face it, anywhere that serves curry for breakfast must be good.

Overall, this was a beautiful, classy hotel whose staff are a real credit to it and help make it a highly pleasurable experience.

Room Tip: River view rooms are quieter with a much better view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family