“Great value.”

Ranked #18 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
york,
“Great value.”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Lovely modern hotel that is almost on a par with Mandarin Oriental and Peninsular but at literally half the cost. Good central location. Rooms are good , plenty of choice of restaurants. It is rather large and somewhat impersonal. Overall a good choice at a sensible price.

1 Thank johnsanmarino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,884)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Wilmslow, UK
Reviewed 25 February 2013

As part of a multi-location itinerary, this was our last stop before heading back to the UK. Upon arrival this hotel exudes quality and style. A big hotel with lots of rooms, but our room on the 18th floor had fantastic views over the river. We arrived in the evening and were checking out later the next day but the hotel were very accommodating in allowing us to use the health club to shower and change after being out in Bangkok for the day. The breakfast buffet was buzzing at the time we arrived (20 minutes before it closed) and they were very particular in letting us know that it was due to close and suggested we got everything we needed at once to avoid being disappointed when it closed (prompty !). Having stayed in another hotel in Bangkok earlier as part of our itnerary we wished we'd booked our earlier stay here as it was well worth another visit.

Room Tip: Put in a request for a room on floors above level 6, the views are worth it
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This was our first hotel to start off our honeymoon and was the most impressive in structure and service overall. Professional staff, beautifully decorated, good pool, lovely bar by the river and the most comfortable bed ever! Breakfasts were never-ending and the live music in the evening, enchanting. We were upgraded upon arrival and did not want to leave! If we ever return to Bangkok, this will be our residence of stay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Limo pickup at BKK airport was fine, car was very nice, very comfortable, expensive by local standards but well worth it given the great start it made to the holiday.

Krungthep Wing room was luxurious. Best sleep in a long time with the comfortable king mattress and soft pillows, as well as heavy curtains. We were on the 10th floor overlooking the river, a great vantage point.

Service was impeccable! it was the start of our honeymoon and the welcome gift, chocolates, bed decorations etc were wonderful. Our butler was Natalie - she was incredibly friendly, helpful, and jovial all the time. Concierge was great too, dinner reservations, advice etc.

Buffet breakfast in Next2 was delicious - couldnt have asked for more choices as every taste was already catered for.

The location on the river is great, and next to the train which is very handy. The surrounding area can feel a little dodgy, but hey, thats Bangkok.

Room Tip: Krungthep Wing is fantastic value!
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2013

This past January I had opportunity to stay for seven nights at the Shangri-La Hotel Bangkok. In researching accommodation in Bangkok I had three criteria in mind: 1) Location, 2) Value for the dollar, 3) Recommendations of others.

Location: This property is located away from the hustle and bustle of Siam Square, Silom and Sukhumvit. It is situated along the Chao Phraya river (which made a river balcony room very appealing to me) immediately adjacent to the "Central Pier" with access to river taxis which ply the river stopping at all the major tourist attractions. The Grand Palace and Wat Pho are about 15 minutes and 15 baht away! The BTS Skytrain station is no more that 100 yards away from the hotel driveway (Krungthrep Wing). By Skytrain, Siam Square is 10 minutes away, Sukhumvit 15 minutes away with a fare of 20 to 30 baht.

Value for Dollar. I stayed in a River Balcony room in the Krungthrep Wing. This wing is a private enclave within the hotel complex. The accommodation was spacious and very comfortable. Amenities included: WiFi (which worked well all but one afternoon), hot breakfast buffet daily (which was delicious), unlimited soft drinks poolside and from the mini bar in room, daily newspaper and fresh fruit, afternoon tea and cocktail hour, personal butler service, pressing of two garments per stay and use of laptop computer. All this for a rate similar to what I have paid for room ONLY in many North American hotels.

Recommendation of others: Simply read the reviews here at Trip Advisor.

I flew into Bangkok on Thai Airways first class from Hong Kong. From the door of the aircraft, through immigration, baggage claim and customs to the door of the hotel car took 10 minutes. How Thai Airways delivered my bag to the baggage belt so quickly is a mystery. The hotel car (BMW 700) delivered a cold towel, cold bottled water, complimentary wifi and a wonderful smiling chauffeur as we traveled into the city. On arrival at the hotel I was met by the Manager and welcomed in grand style as a bellman whacked a huge gong. I was brought inside and seated in a comfortable chair while a hostess saw to check-in. Within minutes I had my key and my bags were on their way up to my accommodation. The room was as promised; a beautiful riverside room with balcony on the seventh floor. The balconies are edged with foliage including gorgeous flowers. The view was amazing and despite the heat of Bangkok, I spent several afternoons just sipped a cool drink and reading a book on my balcony.
The accommodation was clean and fresh in my smoker's room (this hotel is smoker friendly). The bathroom was large and included a full bathtub and walk-in shower. Top quality toiletries were provided.

I had opportunity to dine at several of the hotel restaurants and found the food excellent though a little on the steep side (but comparable to similar in North America.) Right at the end of the hotel driveway were many local food stalls and restaurants offering their wares at a fraction of the cost of eating in the hotel. And I mean a fraction - a wonderful fresh Pad-Thai dish for 30 baht (that's $1.00)

The hotel features two swimming pools, one for the exclusive use of Krungthep guests. Well executed accommodation for both non smokers and smokers is provided around the property including all outside spots. The pool staff made sure I always had a cold soft drink and that I was comfortable on my oversize pool lounge chair. This is truly a resort class property, surprising considering the location in the heart of a large city.

The service at the hotel was absolutely flawless. From arrival welcome to departure goodbyes everyone I met greeting me with a smile and an genuine desire to make me feel at home. On my second day in Bangkok I returned to the hotel after a hot and sweaty visit to some of the upriver temples at about 4:00pm. I so looked foward to a cold drink in my room but, alas, there was no ice. Off I went, silver ice bucket in hand, looking for an ice machine. In my search I ran into a chambermaid cleaning one of the rooms. I asked her where I might find an ice machine. She said that she would bring ice to my room as soon as possible. I wasn't in my room five minutes when there was a knock at the door and there she was with a bucket full of ice. EVERY DAY following there was a full bucket of ice in my room at exactly 4:00pm. To me, that's thoughtful service.

I so enjoyed my stay at the Shangi-La Bangkok and would gladly return. I highly recommend it (particularly the Krungthep Wing) to anyone visiting the "Land of Smiles."

Room Tip: All rooms are located away from elevators, face the river and have balconies in the Krugthep Wing.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Stayed there in Feb 2013. The hotel is a bit outdated, service was outstanding in my opinion and the location is quite good. It's also close to the MRT station and Ferry terminal, especially if you stayed at the Krungtrep Wing.

Room was okay, it's a bit outdated but still quite good, my only complain that I find it a bit dusty (esp when you move your window's curtain). The food selection for breakfast could definitely be improved compared to other 5 star hotel since I think the breakfast selection is quite basic.

Having said that, I think that their service is very good and their facilites is also outstanding (pools, health club, etc).

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 3mt1
Ramsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Wow loved this hotel best we stayed in on our trip to vietnam and Thailand. We stayed Horizon club level which was perfect and well worth it with lovely food and drinks provided between 5.30 and 7pm The hotel is sumptuous our room and bathroom were gorgeous with a spectacular view of the river.Our first day was chinese new year with a great lion dance display in the foyer. All the facilities were excellent and boat and sky train nearby to take us to other parts of the city. Food was superb in the main dining area where you could have breakfast if not enough choice in the horizon lounge. Pool area was lovely looking out over the river.
Large lounge area with a piano playing and a singer. We stayed five nights but wanted to stay longer and enjoyed Bangkok only problem as ever was the intense heat. All the staff were excellent and so smart in their very attractive uniforms. loved our stay here and would definitely return and highly recommend.

Room Tip: Horizon rooms are higher giving great views as well as the lounge with breakfast and food and drink...