“"NYE big mistake"”

Ranked #18 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
London
“"NYE big mistake"”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We choose this hotel for the location and its good name, Location was very good with the metro station next door and pier where you are able to pick up a water taxi or boat.
The hotel is very nice; our room was spacious with a large bathroom with balcony over the river.
The staff we very friendly and helpful. We was here for 4 nights, this was quite enough as we did not particularly like Bangkok, with this in mind we was looking forward to NYE in the hotel before we went on to a beach holiday in Phuket, the set up for NYE was looking very good, nice big made up table's around the poolside with a large stage and a band.
So on NYE we got ready and headed down at 8pm, only to be disappointed with where we was seated, they had sat us behind the stage next to the river with three other table's unable to see the band or stage(which was lucky cause the band and singers were rubbish) the food was very good but with the 10 minute walk back to where we was sitting it was cooled, after dinner and when we was the only ones left out of the three tables, we complained and asked to speak to the manager(Oliver Baader) who moved us and refunded my wife's and sons ticket money at a price of £200 each adult and £100 for my twelve year old(who they wanted to charge as an adult at first) was a reasonable refund .
The entertainment was so BAD that the person who organised the NYE celebrations should have been sacked, when the band and singers finished each song no one was clapping it was so down beat and embarrassing that most people looked like they wanted to go to bed, so we ordered a few drinks and made our way to the river where we could hear the music from the peninsula which was so lively.
The firework display was the highlight of our stay, but I would say this hotel is for business or couples on a short visit to Bangkok and not for Children.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Andrew R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,884)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

It's been a few years since my last stay here, and I was pleased to see a range of improvements to the hotel but no change to the SL blend of both charm and efficiency.

Arriving late in the day I was allocated a room exactly as I requested - I has forgotten how nice the river view actually is (in the main wing)..

I had arrived on a long train journey and went straight down to "Next 2" for dinner. I was immediately reminded why hotels like this one keep their reputation as all my needs were anticipated - even my need for bug spray before I thought to ask if they had any.

One thing you can be sure of at a Shangri-La is a high level of attention to detail in room preparation. The rooms here are therefore always exactly as you would wish for - simply perfect.

I loved everything about my stay and the way the hotel has integrated itself to riverside life. If I was being very picky I would say that the alcohol prices are on the higher side of high (especially local beer and wine), but maybe this is to be expected in such a famous and prestigious hotel.

I would always stay here when in Bangkok, and look forward to my next visit.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed three nights and found the staff highly serviceable, courteous and attentive to detail. Recommend a room with river view to see the spectacle. The breakfast buffet was the best we ever had in terms of quality and choice available.

This is not an inexpensive hotel but quality is definitely assured and we were thoroughly impressed and satisfied.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Having stayed at the Bangkok Shangri-La four times, I was excited to arrive with my family on January 3rd, late in morning. To ensure that we could immediately check-in the room, we started our reservation the night before, credit card to guarantee.

After being taking to the Horizon Club Lounge to check-in on the 3rd, I was informed that our reservation was cancelled since we did not show up on the 2nd. Frustrating to say the least with three small children. After waiting for nearly five hours, until 4:30pm, we were taken to the executive suite that was reserved. Even though I received a typed apology from the manager, no compensation was ever offered. Interesting enough, six days later a similar thing happened at the Sheraton Orchid, but at least we were given a junior suite until our room was ready at 5pm.

Long story short, at a five star hotel, agreeing to throw $300USD out the window to pay for a night when you won't be there in order to have a guaranteed check-in the following morning, there should never be a delay in the reserved room being ready. If there is a delay, there should be substantial compensation from the hotel.

Typical of the Shangri-La, besides this major error on their part, every other part of our five night stay was excellent.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank jaredites1
Shangri-La_Bangkok, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear jaredites1,

Thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, Bangkok and sharing your comments with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for the reservation error which resulted in the cancellation of your booking and the long wait for your room upon your arrival. However I am pleased to hear that you had enjoyed your stay and hope that you will not allow this aspect of your visit to spoil your impression of our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me at kieran.twomey@shangri-la.com if my team and I can be of any assistance.

Best regards,
Kieran Twomey
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Having stayed previously it can sometimes be an anti climax, not here in fact it was even better than last time.We stayed 4 nights in Krungthrep wing room which included some nice touches like afternoon tea and cocktails. Somehow though this hotel gets the right balance between relaxed and formal and is a great retreat from the madness of Bangkok, well done to the staff for making our stay a memorable one again.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank crispy23
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This was my first time to Thailand and this hotel was the 1st part of our holiday, for us, this hotel was fantastic, the staff were fantastic always happy to help, the pool area was great, clean and well kept, our room was clean and well kept as well...we were on the 23rd floor and the view was great too....over all this hotel was just what we wanted. The main dinning room, food was just "FANTASTIC" the whole hotel was well kept...could not fault it!. The river taxi from the hotel was always on time and free to hotel guesses...and such a lovely couple that run the river taxi, and you can get the sky train from through the hotel as well.

Room Tip: Higher you go the better the view from your room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

This is my second visit to the Shangri-La Bangkok and this time I booked a Horizon deluxe river view room with club access. The room at about 35 square meters is smaller than what you would find/ expect from a luxury hotel in Bangkok and the view was rather partial. Defects such as the night table being badly scratched from the alarm clock were surprising for such a caliber hotel. The Horizon lounge was acceptable although the selection of offerings left much to be desired, especially compared to other Shangri-La hotels in mainland China. The hotel gave me an impression of cutting costs. The service was friendly and ever present, in line with any other Thai establishment. With ample choices of luxury hotels in Bangkok, I am not certain whether I would return. Overall my stay was “ok”, but I was hoping and looking forward to more than that.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Shangri-La_Bangkok, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear CCS294229,

Thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, Bangkok and sharing your experience with us. I am sorry to hear of your unpleasant experience this time.I hope that you will not allow this aspect of your visit to spoil your overall impression of our hotel. Please contact me directly should you have any other valuable feedback for our improvement - kieran.twomey@shangri-la.com.

Kieran Twomey