“What more would you want.”

Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok
Ranked #21 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We have stayed here a few times now. I think it is outstanding. The Staff are very friendly, great position, very handy for the river boats, Sky train, Silom Road. I stayed in the Krungthep wing, which has a really nice small pool, and includes evening drinks and canapés , which were excellent. The room was first class extremely comfortable, good WiFi and again the room staff were excellent, nothing too much trouble. My one small disappointment was the Krungthep Wing breakfast. I was offered a new one instantly. The next day I took breakfast in the main breakfast area , which I have used in the past , its large, its busy,and its great. You can sit inside or outside, on the terrace and watch the river traffic. There is huge array of buffet food to suit all tastes. It may not suit all people some of whom may prefer the intimacy of the Krungthep wing, but for me it is one of the highlights of my stay here. Gold star as always to the Bangkok Shangri la.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (8,644)

Reviewed 28 March 2014

cJust back from our annual trip to the Shangri-la Bangkok, which , until this trip, I would have said was one of my favourite hotels worldwide.
Arrival, usual warm welcome, the gong sounds and you enter the haven that is 'Shangri-la '.
We checked in and were escorted to our room, which was a lovely surprise as we arrived 3 hours before the official check in time.
We choose to stay in the Krung thep wing, for its tranquility , when we arrived , the staff informed us that there was 'a little' maintenance work' going on by the Krung thep pool, and if we so wished , we could use the main pool and have our soft drinks benefits there..
After a quick nap, we went down to the lounge for afternoon tea. This is where we noticed a slight change, in past years, as you were seated and offered your choice of beverage, a multi storey cake stand would be delived, with a selection of sandwiches, lovely cakes, scones and jam and cream,
This year , a small plate of 2 scones , the smallest amount of cream and jam was put on the table, and then you went to the buffet to get the sandwiches and cakes. The choice wasn't as opulant as in previous years, and the cakes certainly not as fabulous.
In the evening, the usual standard of pre dinner drinks and buffet were superb , drnks flowed, service as always top notch and good atmosphere.
The following morning we went to breakfast, as always , excellent.
We then went outside to sit at the Krung Thep pool, the pool atendant warned us about the noise. We managed 10 minutes there, it was unbearable. We retreated to the main pool at the Shangri-La , which it has to be said is beautiful, But, its a huge pool , with lots of people, and kids, which, the Krung thep wing pool isn't .
Anyhow, we stayed by that pool each day, not using our faclity at the Krung Thep at all because of the noise.
We mentioned this to the front desk manager, who was very sympathetic, I did state i felt that we should of been prewarned about this work going on ( scheduled for 2 months ).
By way of compensation, we were offered dinner at the NEXT 2 RESTAURANT.
We dined there last year, and it was superb, this year, a very different story, it wasn't busy ( saturday night) , the food choice although plentiful , not wildly exciting, and to be honest, everything I had was at best luke warm, mostly it was actually cold.
Our final disappointment was, on check out, we checked our bill, to find that we had been charged for drinks by the pool ( included in Krung thep wing privilages ) , when I mentioned this, the lady went to speak to her supervisor, who came out to me and told me abruptly 'alcohol not included;'. I reminded her , that it was a non alcoholic beverage. The drinks were swiftly removed, i was then asked 'You happy with bill now...card please'. I paid the bill, went back to our room to collect the luggage, looking at the bill again, i noticed something
on there about mini bar charges, again soft drinks from mini bar are included.
I went to the desk, queried this, and was asked 'did you drink Perrier?' , i admitted i had, i was then told, that these were not included in the benefit !!!! In past years, they always have, you can have Perrier by the pool, in the lounge .......but not in your room ! Evian however you could !!!! Go figure !!!!!
These are only small things, but these little extras made Shangri-la what it is !
I do think penny pinching or 'dime pinching' is really not worthwhile. Its a product like this that makes a hotel stand out or not..
Hotels in Thailand all offer a very high standard, The staff here are amazing, all very service orientated and the location is perfect.
Please dont let your standards drop !!!!

Room Tip: away from renovations if you in the Krung Thep wing !!!
4  Thank BricklayerUk
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Do not waste your time trying to decide where to stay in Bangkok. Do yourself and your significant other a favor and just book here. This was the absolute best hotel we stayed in while traveling all around Thailand for three weeks. We had a friendly and warm welcoming by the front desk staff. Pear was phenomenal and professional. When I entered the room, I jumped up and down like a little girl. The attention to detail is exquisite. The room was well decorated and the view was breathtaking from the 18th floor. You can hop on the skytrain which is a 3 minute walk from the hotel. You have to try the chocolate they have in the lobby area. It was seriously the best chocolate I have ever had. The bon bons had an apricot like filling that reminded me of the Sacher torte in Vienna. I checked out the Mandarin Oriental and if you are trying to decide between the two, I prefer the ShangriLa based on the staff and main areas. What a romantic way to start off our trip. Yeah there are plenty of cheaper places in Bangkok but you really won't regret staying here. The staff made our anniversary very special. I really appreciated the little surprises when we got back to our room.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I had the pleasure to stay at the Shangrila in Bangkok - I cannot admire the hotel or the staff enough and it would be very unfair on my part to mention one or two employees here , as from the limousine driver , to the restaurant personnel , the guards , the bell boy , Concierge manager , front desk , everyone was extremely courteous and professional

The breakfast is a feast and un paralleled in comparison to the many other hotels i have stayed in during this trip , truly amazing , My wife and i had the lea sure of dining at the Angelini and it was sublime , to say the least - Anyone coming to Bangkok do make it a point to stay at this hotel

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed 26 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Shangri-La Hotel, Bangkok for 4 nights.
Here is a place that you can do as little as you like and enjoy the comfort, luxury, and fine dining or as much as you want adding day tours, shopping and other activities. It is very well located next to the Skytrain, next to the river boats with beautiful surroundings, great food and drink and service second to none. I never write one of these reviews, but my wife and I truly love this place.

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed 26 March 2014

As with most of the Shangri-La properties I´ve staid at - you know what you get and they always deliver. The hotel is located along the river close to a few other 5-star properties and close to the BTS Skytrain station. It´s conviniently located close to the express-way which gives you a quicker way to the airport.

I staid at the Horizon floors and the lounge is nice and good for breakfast and evening free flow cocktails.

The rooms are good with all modern amenities, although a bit worn really. More cosmetic then practically worn, but I was a little surprised seeing a Shangri-la room this worn.

The pool area is nice and lush, although maybe a bit in a need of a touch up. Went for a drink there and it was a bit of a wait to order a few drinks really, plenty of staff and not much people, but still we were left unattended - maybe I should change my aftershave?

At large though, this is a wonderful hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it. On a personal note, there´s plenty of choice in Bangkok and I´ll probably use another one next time. Not that it´s bad, but it didn´t "nail" me well enough I guess.

Room Tip: River-viem rooms are nice.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Shangri-La_Bangkok, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Viking66,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay although our pool failed you. You will be happy to know that we will soon carry out our pool maintenance service. Should you have any other valuable feedback for our improvement please contact me at ed.brea@shangri-la.com.

Best regards,
J. Edward Brea

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We had a good time during the recent stay.We first met those efficient staff at lobby and front desk.We brought back a good memory as we enjoyed the comfortable room with balcony and beautiful river view.The breakfast and swimming pool are excellent.As we had stayed at nearby hotel twice before and are familiar with nearby facilities like BTS, supermarket, shops and massage.I never imagine that we could walk to BTS station by walking through the luxury air-conditioned corridor at 3/F of Shangri-La Hotel.I at last appreciate the outstanding service by Mr.TOON-manager at front desk.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony above 15/F