“Wonderful first time in Bangkok.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok

Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok
Ranked #18 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
“Wonderful first time in Bangkok.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

My first stay in Bangkok was made extra special by this Hotel. I travelled with my parents and twin sister we had two Horizon Club Rooms on a high floor. Arrived early morning no problems with early check-in the rooms were ready straight away. Room interior décor was delightful, Thai themed which was a nice touch with plenty of space all in all very comfortable size. Lovely view at night of the river from the large window. Bathroom also nice and spacious plenty of room to walk around unlike some hotel bathrooms that are crammed into a minuscule area.

Breakfast buffet was wonderful so much choice and food was of a really high standard. Manager was very professional and bent over backwards for us when we had an issue with the waffles one day!

Reception area has been designed well, very open with a spacious layout the flowers are frequently changed and always look perfect.

Horizon club is definitely a must when staying at this hotel. As a vegetarian the staff would make me any sandwich that I wanted during afternoon tea as well as creating non alcoholic cocktails for me in the evening. All staff that we dealt with in this hotel were fabulous and nothing is too much trouble.

Gym was good lots of high quality equipment just needs to have better A/C.

Pool area is an Oasis in Bangkok loved it so much I cannot wait to come here again!

Room Tip: Horizon Club Rooms are definitely worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,810)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Phuket
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

My husband and I and our two children (aged 10 & 12) stayed in room 2310, an executive suite of 70 m2 for 9 nights. On our arrival the suite was perfectly prepared with beds for both our kids and even a little toy teddy bear for our daughter, which made a huge impression on her. The room was with a breathtaking view of the river and was tastefully furnished with high quality furnishings and fittings. The bathroom was to die for, so large and light and with every possible amenity, even a TV that could be viewed from the bath. The Horizon Lounge (we used it for breakfast/coffees and evening drinks), was absolutely wonderful with warm and attentive service and excellent food & drinks provided. Overall I warmly recommend this hotel for families. The location, food and services was just perfect. My family and I will be back, my kids loved being pampered and at the center of things.
Everything was perfect!
Thanks Shangri-La Bangkok and your wonderful staff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

1 Thank Boonyuen M
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

We stayed here in April leading up to the 4 days of new year celebrations.

We strayed in the Krungthrep wing which although it has it's own reception area the approach is a bit tradesman's entrance.

Once inside though it is very sumptuous and you get many benefits to staying in this wing such as free alcoholic drinks including cocktails from 5.30 to 7.30 in the evening (but there is a dress code of smart casual so not shorts of flip flops of vest tops), free soft drinks around the pool and the mini bar, 2 garments each to be pressed free afternoon tea and cake.

We also had one free evening meal which was in the main hotel and it was a Buffett meal and the choice is amazing, Chinese, Indian, English roast dinner, Japanese etc etc. this would have been 3,300 Baht. They also have a great outside eating area.

Our room and balcony overlooked the river which was a bit noisy from the traffic but that was ok with us but once inside the room you could not hear anything, you will not need plug adapters here. The room was always kept clean and they do a turn down service you have an iron, tea and coffee and free soft drinks.

Breakfast was ok, but after having stayed at a Raffles hotel in Siem Reap the staff at the Shangri La are just not quite up to that standard, they are very smart and welcoming but we had to keep asking for more coffee and for plates to be removed especially the waiter Tom. A small thing but noticeable.

We did not get the opportunity to use the pool or Spa as we had two full days sightseeing.

We will return to this hotel and this wing either 2015 or 2016 for a longer stay as there is more that we would like to see in Thailand.

Room Tip: In the Krungthep wing I believe all of the rooms face the river and have balconys and they will all...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Leeds, West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed at the Shangri-La for our last three nights after a tour of Cambodia and Thailand. Very welcoming, comfortable and superb hospitality. Great location for touring the river and temples, markets and the lovely Sky Bar is 2 minutes walk away. Pool and sunbathing area lovely. Special mention to the staff in the Business Centre who were so helpful with flight check ins and information about taking Shangri-La umbrellas back as hand luggage!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Balcony overlooking the river.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

It was overall a disappointing stay, possibly because I had too much expectation at Shangri-la brand. It was my first time to stay in Shangri-la hotel and it is a shame that I didn't really enjoy my first stay. I am normally a big fan of a clean, boutique hotel with good and friendly service from hotel staffs. If you have a similar taste as mine, you should avoid this hotel.

Good points:
River view is very nice, try to book a room with the view and better if it has a terrace.
Breakfast buffet is certainly top quality with many, many choices.

Bad points:
Facilities are quite old and maintenance is not well done. The first room that we went to had several problems. Card key was not working well, phone wasn't working at all and so as the safety box. When I complained about it, they upgraded my room to a river view terrace room. This room's bathroom was not really well maintained. Water leaked from the showers and I could see dirty stains here and there.

If you are not staying at Krungtep wing which is literally next door from skytrain station, walking to the station takes around 7-10 mins from the main wing!

Some staffs were very kind and professional while there were some very unprofessional and not-kind staffs which were unpleasant.

I stayed in a very nice boutique hotel with immaculate cleanness and a great hospitable staff in Taipei. Considering that I paid 1.5 times more for Shangri-la hotel and there are so many nice boutique hotels in Bangkok, I really don't see any reason to stay in this outdated hotel unless they do serious refurbishment on both facilities and service.

Room Tip: Choose the room with river view
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Shangri-La_Bangkok, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Jenni-Ann,

Thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, Bangkok.

We appreciate you taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We were, however, disappointed to read that our decor and facilities has fallen short of your expectations. Although we are a long standing hotel, we do our best to keep our premises fresh. Our apologies for the shortfall in regards to the working order of your room.

In regards to the service, your comment on our staff, both for the professional and not so kind, is taken constructively as it forms the foundation of our service improvement process. Rest assured we have given this our attention.

We do hope to see you back again one day. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can personally assist you in any way via e-mail ed.brea@shangri-la.com

J. Edward Brea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I usally stay in Shangri la when I visit Bangkok for business travel. This time I came with my fameliy. My wife and two kids age 8 and 11. They really loved the hotel. Amazing pool with the most amazing staff. The best service in the world ! I recomand this hotel as one if the best one's in Bangkok.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Shangri-La hotel, such a great location. The service is outstanding, suitable for business trip. The room were very spacious and clean with excellent facilities.
Food is delicious with a lots of variety. Is worth stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends