“Lovely stay in Bangkok”

Ranked #18 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Macau, China
“Lovely stay in Bangkok”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Shangri is a beautiful place to stay and convenient for attractions that are along the river. The Shangri La ferry to Asiatique was very convenient. The service and faciities were excellent and we will stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,884)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Have only just had time to write this review...we stayed for 5 nights in March this year. (2 on our way to Koh Samui and 3 on the way back). We always plan a stopover here each end of our holiday as it is just such a fabulous place to relax.

This time we paid extra to stay in the Horizon Club rooms. This was a great choice and well worth the extra. The Horizon club rooms can only be accessed by using a room key in the lift so you immediately feel exclusive. That is saying something as this hotel makes you feel extra special no matter which room you stay in!

On arrival we were whisked to a private check-in and served an ice cold refreshment in the Horizon Club lounge which has spectacular views.

It is probably worth me breaking our trip in to 2 for this review. On our outward trip everything was perfect. On our first evening we had drinks in the Horizon Club (alcoholic drinks are complimentary from 5-7 pm during Happy Hour - soft drinks and afternoon tea are available all day). We then walked to a nearby fish restaurant, Somboon, which we like as we discovered it on our first trip to Bangkok some 10 years ago. We were quite tired so headed back for an early night. Our room as always was great, comfy bed, great views, beautiful bathroom with a fair sized shower. Next morning we decided to breakfast by the river (the choice for breakfast is quite simply endless and extremely good quality). The Horizon Club offers breakfast but we wanted to soak up the atmosphere of the bustling morning river traffic. After breakfast we opted for a pool day (purely because we have visited Bangkok a number of times) The Hotel however can arrange and advise on a whole host of options if you fancy sightseeing or shopping. They offer a river taxi to a local shopping centre and to Asiatique (which is in essence a large market with numerous restaurants). There is also a great river rice barge trip which there is a cost for but you have refreshments and fresh fruit and experience Thai river life. Anyway back to the pool. Plenty of sun loungers, cool towels, fresh fruit and a great drinks and snack menu. The spring rolls are lovely. I also had a poolside thai massage - very relaxing. More expensive than if you step outside the hotel but still a good price for a Hotel massage at 1800 Baht. I told my husband I felt like we were on honeymoon again as it was so blissful. I could not get an appointment at the Spa but in all honesty that was my own fault as I know it is extremely popular and I should have booked in advance. We ate out that evening as we had booked a table at Vertigo at the Banyan tree. Whilst we enjoyed our evening there I was extremely glad that we had opted to stay at our old faithful the Shangri-La as the limited exposure i had to the Banyan Tree gave me the impression that the Shangri-La wins on all fronts!

On to our return trip. This was not quite as blissful but still great. When we arrived late afternoon our room was not ready however everyone was very apologetic and offered us drinks in the Horizon Club whilst we waited (which was only approx 15 mins anyway). The Hotel was extremely busy with an educational conference. The pool therefore closed that evening for the group to have exclusive use. We had drinks in the Horizon Club and then a meal with my husband's mum and dad who had joined us for the return trip (they had been out to Australia and Koh Samui). We ate at Shang palace (the duck is amazing and very reasonably priced). We again had breakfast by the river but it was very hectic. We also then struggled to get sun loungers as they had been taken by the families assocaited with the conference. The Hotel is usually attracts a mainly adult clientele however the pool was noisy as there was groups of children. Not a particular issue for us as we have 2 teenagers (who were not travelling with us on this occasion) but some guests were clearly not happy. During our stay elections were being held and the Hotel was not allowed to serve alcohol in public areas from 6pm on the Saturday evening (room service was available). We did not receive a letter informing us of this as other guests did (this was clearly just an oversight). In fairness the Horizon Club brought forward Happy Hour so that it operated from 4-6 pm. The Hotel was also supporting Earth Hour and therefore was offering a different dining experience (candlelit buffet I think) whilst the power was reduced. We opted to take the evening river taxi to Asiatique. This was well worth the visit (the last boat to the Shangri-La leaves Asiatique at 9.30 pm).

It was my birthday on our last morning before flying home. I was slightly disappointed that the Hotel did not acknowledge this (even with a Happy Birthday note). However breakfast in Bangkok ans supper in London is definitely a good way to celebrate!

In summary, we love it! We will return. We will check with the Hotel next time in case of any special arrangements they have in place during our trip whcih may impact on the peace and tranquility we normally enjoy here. However I would highly recommend!

Room Tip: Worth booking the Horizon Club (althoughI should probably keep that as our secret!!)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We truly had a great time at Shangri La Hotel, I was stayed in Balcony room which is a great view over looking through Chaopaya river. However it's time for the rooms to be upgraded on Floor 10, but no amount of hardware spend could improve on the customer service, attitude, enthusiasm and dedication of the Front Office staff especially the manager, Toon. The side of the hotel culture was exceptional and their delivery friendly and sincere at all times. I love this place, it deserves the best in its category I am sure. I will be back and stay here again in the future when I am back to Bankkok.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed at Shangrila Bangkok in April 2014. When I checked out , I inadvertently left behind my ID Card on the table and wasn't aware of it until I reached the airport. I quickly called the hotel and was transferred to Housekeeping which, in 10 mins., located my card and hand delivered to me by the next limousine driver to the airport.

I was able to catch my flight as scheduled, and avoided all the hassle of replacing my ID Card. My sincere thank you to Shangri-la Bangkok, especially the Housekeep team and the driver.

I also want to thank the Cathay Pacific ground staff and the Manager on Duty at the Bangkok airport on 27 Apr for promising me a seat in the next flight in case I couldn't get my card in time.

Thank you.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

What a fabulous hotel. Friendly staff that cannot do enough for you. Wall to wall luxury 24/7. We absolutely could not fault it. Can't wait for our next visit.

Canapes and cocktails are a must and really make this level of luxury affordable.

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Excellent hotel, friendly staff , my room was comfortable some amenities were excellent such as the internet free access in all areas . The pool area and the view to the river from the restaurant were excellent

Singapore
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have been a guest at the Shangri-la in Bangkok for many years with several nights each year - both for business and leisure - and I find the hotel to be one of my favorite places to stay anywhere in the world.