“Not the Best”

Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok
Ranked #17 of 880 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 8 August 2005

I stayed at this hotel in March, and let me tell you I expected much better. Although our room overlooked the river which was very nice the furniture needed to be updated and the rug was very stained and worn. At night it would have been nice to stay of the little balcony overlooking the river but there were many cockroaches, which I did not expect or want to find crawling outside. The rooms were a good size but very boring. I enjoyed the next2cafe beside the pool though. You have the option of sitting by the pool and the river outside, or inside. We chose both. The buffet was excellent as well. Overall the rooms disappointed me. You're better off staying at the Peninsula or the Oriental in my opinion

• Stayed: March 2005
5  Thank cng343
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok

Reviewed 3 August 2005

I stayed at the Shangri-la Bangkok in April - an absolutely great luxury hotel - one of the best in Bangkok in my opinion. Check-in and check out was very smooth. I stayed in the newer Krung Thep wing - the room was very well appointed with great views of the river (especially at sunset!). Everything from the wonderful bed to the huge marble bathroom was excellent! I especially like the little touches like the electrically folding curtains. Service was also above par, I was greeted with a smile everywhere I went. The restaurants are pricey for Bangkok but very good (I can especially recommend the Horizon Cruise Buffet service on the river boat). The pools are great as well - a bit crowded at times but never overwhelming.

All in all - a truly great 5 star hotel!

• Stayed: April 2005
7  Thank JMBF
Reviewed 1 August 2005

The Shangri La must be the best choice in Bangkok.
Rooms are beautiful, staff are fantastic, location is perfect, eight great reataurants.
I cannot fault this hotel and I am well traveled and very picky.

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank gabirds
Reviewed 30 July 2005

The Shangri-La is an exceptional hotel. Our room looked out over the river and the view was amazing. We loved the fresh fruit that was placed in our room every afternoon. We ate dinner one night in the Thai restaurant, both the food and atmosphere were amazing. We especially enjoyed the Thai dancers. We ate two breakfasts in the Next 2 Cafe. We ordered off the menu rather than have the breakfast buffet. Our breakfasts were quite good. The hotel staff was very attentive, the room was spotless, the robes were nice and comfy, and the toiletries were top-of-the-line! I can't think of anything negative to say about our stay.

• Stayed: March 2005
4  Thank BWBradford
Reviewed 24 July 2005

We have stayed at various hotels in Bangkok and the Shangri-La is the best ! We upgraded on arrival to an executive floor room which included a wonderful breakfast, own private balcony, free canapes and cocktails in the horizon lounge daily. The cost was approx £30.00 total and was well worth it. Our room was spacious, clean and modern. The hotel is also located in a good position by the river and close to the train terminal. We ate in the hotel one evening, there was lots of choice and the food was of a high standard. After a couple of days at the Shangri-La we were well rested before continuing our travels. Recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed: June 2005
9  Thank Armsy
Reviewed 17 July 2005

My boyfriend and i stayed at the shangri-la for 2 nights in june. The rooms are lovely- though the bathroom was quite average. Very clean and comfortable accomodation with great view over the river. Staff were welcoming and helpful. Breakfast overlooking the river was also nice in the mornings with plenty to chose from.
The lobby and restaurants are quite spectacular. We ate at Salathip next to the river. It was expensive, though the food was good.
We'd definately stay here again!

3  Thank muzfuz
Reviewed 8 July 2005

This is a very nice hotel. Not quite up to the level of Peninsula, Sukothai or Oriental, but it is a very, very nice hotel. I think it has one of the best breakfasts in the city! It is also at a great location, on the river, near the sky train and right down the street there is an amazing foot reflexology place, air-conditioned, with lazyboy chairs and young men and women who are well-trained. A great way to end a day of touring as you head back to the hotel. If you can get the Peninsula or Sukothai for the same price, I would stay at those, but if not, this is a wonderful option

• Stayed: August 2004
3  Thank admglick
Travellers also viewed these Bangkok hotels
Silom
Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
The Peninsula Bangkok
#7 of 880 in Bangkok
Sathorn
Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn
Sukhumvit
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, A Luxury Collection Hotel

Been to Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok

Address: 89 Soi Wat Suan Plu, New Road | Bangrak, Bangkok 10500, Thailand
Region: Thailand > Bangkok > Silom
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#10 Romantic Hotel in Bangkok
#10 Business Hotel in Bangkok
#11 Spa Hotel in Bangkok
#12 Family Hotel in Bangkok
#16 Luxury Hotel in Bangkok
Price Range: £120 - £241 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:5 star — Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok 5*
The Shangri-La Hotel, Bangkok, is a 5-star luxury hotel in Silom district, Bangkok. The design and appointments express the welcoming warmth and richness of Thai culture throughout the hotel, from traditional teak dining pavilions to the most up-to-date room features.The hotel has a total of 802 rooms including 72 suites in two wings, Shangri-La and Krungthep, and is adjacent to the Saphan Taksin station of the Skytrain, Bangkok's elevated metro system.The hotel also offers fully-serviced apartments for guests wishing a longer stay. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelbag, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Booking.com, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Shangri-La Hotel, Bangkok Hotel Bangkok