“My Absolute Favourite!!”

Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok
Ranked #18 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 18 May 2010

I LOVE this hotel. My fiance and I have been there about 5 times and it feels like home every time we return. It's grand, elegant and comfortable. It's not in the same league as the Mandarin or the Peninsula but that's why I love it, you can relax and be yourself on holiday, you don't have to be wearing a suit to feel comfortable. The service is amazing. We once had a guy come and flush our loo just after we got our room to check it was working ok. Seriously! We always get a river view room - great to watch the boats - in the Shangri-La Wing as the Krungthep wing can feel a little isolated and too quiet. The food is great, the beer is cold, the cocktails in the cocktail bar are strong and delicious and Angelini's is the best Italian restaurant I've ever been in. We're going again in August regardless of the political situation (I'm happy to stay in the hotel for 10 days if necessary..!). Thailand needs our tourist dollars and I am more than happy to oblige!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JaniPK
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok

Reviewed 18 May 2010

We came to the Shangri La to start of our Honeymoon in January and it was utter bliss. Very elegant and chic. Firstly i would recommend to stay in the Krungthep Wing as you get treated like a King with a Free Afternoon Tea everyday, fit for a King...Plus Free cocktails, basically anything you want to drink, free Buffet all between 5 and 7pm...My new wife loved the smell of the lobby!!!......very soothing and homeopathic.....The staff went out of their way to accomodate us and nothing was to much trouble.....The food in the restaurant on the waters edge is incredible....do the bbq buffet at night and the brekkie in the morning!.....oh and check out Roy the pianist in the bar!...Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank juicytt
Reviewed 16 May 2010

We have been at the Shangri-La in Bangkok for 3 days with our 2 kids.
Service as usual for Shangri-La standards: just perfect!
In room check in, all ready, great service, always trying to accommodate your requests and desires
However, this time Shangri-La does not get the highest rate due to the location of the room.

We had a suite in the old part: the Krungthep Wing. From all review I read this Wing is suppose to be the most 'distinguished' part of the hotel.. After being there I am not sure..
Rooms are roomier in the Krungthep Wing, and less is going on... but restaurants are all in Shangri-La Wing, and there one can have higher floor room where to enjoy the landscape

Our Suite had a nice view over the river as expected, enough space for all of us, 2 balconies.. they just forgot to mention that a highway passes by. But I assume this is Bangkok. One cannot really stay on the balcony as the noise is so unbearable that the view is appreciable only with closed windows
We first got a 4th floor suite: right at the level of the highway We asked for a higher floor, but we could only get an 8th floor suite. As the highest floor of the Krungthep Wing is the 18th (if I remember correctly) one cannot really avoid the highway..
The rest was simply perfect as mentioned and they even managed to satisfy my spoiled daughter.. who is difficult to satisfy..

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank sscc0404
Reviewed 16 May 2010

We stayed here for two nights in the Krungthep wing. The check in was smooth and we were in our rooms quickly. We arrived early morning and as it was raining we decided to have a couple of hours of much needed sleep! The rooms were lovely, very spacious and the bed was huge and very comfortable. The view from the balcony was stunning. The pool area was shaded and the afternoon tea was delicious. The hotel is situated perfectly for the skytrain and ferry. The gym is great. The staff were wonderful and couldn't do enough. Overall this is a fantastic hotel. The Krungthep wing package includes soft drinks all day, afternoon tea, afternoon cocktails and canapes and sundowner cocktails and canapes. As other reviewers have said you do not have to eat out if you don't want to. I know there are cheaper hotels but for value for money the Shangri La is hard to beat! I'll definately stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank westielOverYorkshire
Reviewed 12 May 2010

We stopped here for two nights and were pleased that good prices for our stay could be found.
Reception made a few mistakes and made a bit of a meal of the check in but were friendly enough and eventually resolved things.
The room had a good view over the river and was a good standard and size. It was a little tired looked and ready for a face lift.
I used the gym which as very good.

We didnt use the restauurant other than for breakfast which offered a very good selection on good quality.

A good standard of hotel and worth considering.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank docscooter
Reviewed 12 May 2010

One of the top 10 hotels in Bangkok. Great rooms, excellent service and superb poolarea.
Nearby you have good shopping and just one minute away to Skytrain.
Good value for the price of the rooms, although expensive rooms in comparance to other hotel in Bkk.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jenfro
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I stay here at the start of my vacation as something special and I not disappoint at all. It is really great. I have balconey over the river and the room is very big and in great comfort. I love the terrace restaurant buffet so much choice and at a really good price. Shangrila is really the best.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo