“Perfect location”

Ranked #386 of 866 Hotels in Bangkok
“Perfect location”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Very good service!!!!!:)

Very hot outside at this time.

Inside there are aircondition all over:)

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank biljard
Kennedy K, General Manager at President Solitaire, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from President Solitaire!

Thank you for your comments. Indeed the weather in Thailand at this period is very hot. And just recently we have finished upgrading our air-conditioning system that affects guest rooms and public areas.

We hope to see you again very soon!

Happy Songkran (Thai New Year)!

Kennedy Kapulong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights in April 2012 with my partner. The location is excellent: close enough to the hustle and bustle of Soi 11, but far enough away to be quiet.

First impressions of the lobby are not great: the place is maybe 20 years old and is in need of a facelift. Still, the front desk staff were courteous, efficient and friendly.

Up to the 8th floor in a funny little creaky lift - could not fit more than about 4 people. Out into a hallway with very low ceilings (I am 6'2" tall in there was only 2" to spare in places) and into out room. The room was HUGE - lovely kind size bed, huge 42" TV, polished wood floors, full sized fridge and kitchenette. Nice big bathroom with 2 sinks - very happy with the room.

We checked the literature in the room and a booklet said we were members of the President Executive Club, which gave us free sodas every day, a free massage, fruit basket, daily newspaper, 4pm checkout and several other benefits. I called the front desk and they confirmed that we were indeed Club members so we were delighted.

Over the next few days there were no newspapers, no fruit, no soda refills and so most mornings after breakfast we gave a list of the missing items to the front desk. After a few mornings we gave up. On the final day the front desk called the room twice to ask us to checkout - both times we said no, we will checkout at 4pm as per the Club deal. We checked out and were presented with a bill for another half days' stay, and for sodas consumed. I challenged this, the duty manager was called (a young Thai man, around 25 years old) and the conversation quickly disintegrated into an argument over what had been promised, by whom and whether we had anything in writing to justify our position. Eventually my partner managed to calm him down - it seems that we had been upgraded to a higher class of room but were not entitled to the benefits. Anyway it was settled, but the young manager seemed annoyed with us - a great shame.

Anyway back to the rest of the stay. We had several issues with the room (shower door about to fall off the wall, shower seal missing and leaking aircon - but all of these were fixed promptly.

Breakfast was good - a small selection but changed daily. The restaurant manager merits a special mention: extremely helpful and friendly - went out of her way to give us information. The room service was also very good and well priced.

The pool was smaller than the baby wading pool at the condo back home so we didn't bother.

Room Tip: Check whether the new Holiday Inn building site at the front right of the hotel has started work - a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dbenne22
Dear dbenne22,

Warm greetings from President Solitaire!

Thank you for posting your feedback through TripAdvisor. We appreciate guest comments and take them as measurements of performance and also room for improvements.

We have investigated on the matter that you mentioned, about the Solitaire lub Floor benefits. I believe you were informed upon arrival that the room was upgraded and does not include the benefits. However, when you called back to re-confirm you were told otherwise. And this caused the confusion and inconvenience on your part. With this I sincerely apologize on behalf of my team. I offer no excuse and have already sent out a strong message to the team about this case.

We do hope you will give us another chance to be of service to you again. And next time, we shall be more detailed and cautious. Please feel free to contact me if you have any concerns or requirements and I shall look into them personally.

Cairns
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I stayed for 2 nights with my husband and son. All the staff were excellent - reception, concierge and even a free Tuk Tuk service polite, smiley and could not do enough for us. We received a free upgrade to the Penthouse suite and our room was enormous. It had a huge spa bath and a outdoor balcony. The air-con was fierce and provided a great retreat from the Bangkok humidity. Internt was good from our room on the 14th floor. The good was a bit daed but still very useable and the pool small but hardly used if you felt like relaxing. I would definitely use it again

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. We had the penthouse room 1414
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank maggiedamian
Dear maggiedamian,

Greetings from President Solitaire!

On behalf of my team, thank you for sharing your feedback about your most recent stay with us. Thank yo for commending the warm, friendly service of the Concierge and Front Desk teams. I shall forward your comments to them and they will surely be delighted to know that you are satisfied with their service.

Our rooms are relatively larger than usual hotel rooms, plus they are equipped with small kitchen, microwave oven, hot plate, full-size refrigerator, and small dining area. We also provide free tuktuk shuttle service to nearby areas (skytrain, subway stations, shopping centers, and hospital).

On your next visit to Bangkok we do hope to welcome you back to President Solitaire!

Thank you and Happy Songkran (Thai New Year)!

india
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I have visited Bangkok11 times between 2010/2012.I have always stayed at President Solitaire,and for the room rate I feel that this hotel is a great deal.The rooms are spacious and the bathroom modern and clean.The staff always have a smile on their face and I have always found them to be courteous.I love this hotel.

I am going to be staying with them this month from the 17th.

The only issue I have is that I always arrive by 5:30AM.The hotel should try its best to get us a room as soon as possible.Also for corporate clients like myself it would go a long way if some refreshments were provided on arrival and a later check out than 2pm.

Otherwise good job President Solitaire.

Room Tip: I like the Solitaire Suite.Large and seperate area to relax.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jaanemanIndia
Dear jaanemanIndia,

Good day!

Thank you for posting your feedback through TripAdvisor. Your comments will be useful to travellers around the world looking for alternative accommodation in Bangkok.

We have taken note of your requests on your upcoming stay with us.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to our doors. Thank you for your continued support.

See you very soon!
Happy Songkran (Thai New Year)!

Warm regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Poor OLD president Solitaire. I cannot beleive how this hotel has declined in 2 years. There special renovated rooms had only been painted. The rooms are big but nor clean. My wife had some small items stollen. The male boss of check in staff was rude and unhellpful. The swiming pool had many tile missing and a broken under water light. A person could be easily hurt. The breakfast was plain and boring. We did not enjoy our stay at all. There are better value hotels in Bangkok. Time for President Solitaire to do a complete renovation. I cannot believe compass hotels still advertise this hotel

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aussie6060
Dear Aussie6060,

Good day!

It is sad to know that you were not satisfied on your stay this time around. Our apologies if we did not meet your expectations. Despite many challenges and strong hotel competition, we still strive to keep our property competent. We do admit that the building is quite old, not as new as other buildings rising up recently in the area. But we are proud of our loyal and honest staff who are always on hand to assist every guest.

We thank you for your comments, likewise thank you for your support from the past years.
We are still hoping that you will be staying with us once again.

Solingen, Germany
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We have been here a few times back in 2008. It was a great hotel. Everything was clean and a top of the notch 5 star hotel.
Now in 2012 we were very disappointed from this cheap place. A lot has changed. The hotel is dirty and worn. You find mold in the rooms, dirty bathrooms and unfriendly staff. They are still saying they would be a 5 star hotel, but you can not compare this hotel to a typical 5 star hotel in BKK. The hotel deserves 3 stars at the most.
Front desk staff is rude and doesn’t provide customer service. The breakfast is simple and cheap. One day we found ants in the jelly. We had to bring our own drinks for breakfast as the stuff provided was just nasty.
You will find wires coming out of holes in the pool wall from broken lights.
The bathrooms are dirty as the rooms are.
On top of that I got my wedding ring stolen from my room while I was at the pool.
The taxis in front of the hotel are waiting to rip you off. Prices are double then what you would pay for a taxi using the meter. Here the hotel makes some extra money with the taxi drivers.
I know the GM will soon respond to this and tell us, what he could all have done for us. Of course…… Don’t waste your time and money and book one of the real 5 star hotels, there plenty out in this area.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank voicestream
Dear voicestream,

Good day!

Thank you for your comments through TripAdvisor. We are unhappy to know that you were not satisfied this time. I have informed the concerned departments about your comments and rest assured that this will not be taken lightly. The hotel may not be as new as other buildings in the area, but we try hard to keep our rooms clean and follow standard policies. In any event that an item is allgedly missing, please feel free to inform our staff and we shall assist you in resolving the matter. We do have procedures to follow in investigating on matters such as the one you mentioned but we also need to be informed.

Guests book with us because of good value for money, warm service from my team, among other things. If you prefer to stay in 5-star branded properties, we shall understand that, hoping they can match the good value for money that we offer.

Anyway, we thank you for your supprort through the years.
We still hope that you will give us another chance to be of service to you next time.

Fairfield, California
Reviewed 26 March 2012

when i booked this hotel ask for pick up service from the airport or shuttle service or bus service information i have sent three e-mails for request to recommend us. Not even single explanation. Towels were cheap. blankets were terrible on the bed. not very impressed with this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Raminder951,

Good day!

My apologies for the lapse in communication regarding your request for airport pick up. And regarding the linens, my apologies if they were not up to your standards. Despite many challenges, we try hard to keep up with the hotel standards.