“was comfortable”

Ranked #387 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
Muscat Governorate, Oman
“was comfortable”
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Rooms were of good size and were clean. Although you might want to note that
!) housekeeping staff wont change your soaps coffees etc regularly, On occasions I had to call to get them changed. One day I noticed that they had put the same old used soap which was earlier lying on the floor back on the soap stand- By now I have stayed in hundereds of hotels but this was the first time where 4 * or 5* was getting cheap on this stuff.
!)One day I called shuttle service from nana station and after waiting for 20 mins I walked to the hotel, on my way I didn't see any tuk tuk but was told that there was traffic..which wasn't the case because I spotted the tuk tuk neat the hotel..and when I confronted the person on duty..a concierge staff manager..spoke on his behalf Which I believe should not be the policy and I right away pointed this to him..but....
!) hotel is not as close to nana as it seems...it is fair distance..would say atleast 10 min's..walk n i have noticed there were quite a few hotels on the way to this hotel as well. so if u can find something with the same value somewhere closer then why not.
Otherwise the hotel was comfortable to stay.. I liked it. Although I believe hotel management needs to change its policies a little bit or if they already have policies in place then they should implement them so that there customers could feel even better

1 Thank shiv1Melbourne
GMPS, General Manager at President Solitaire, responded to this review, 29 September 2010
Good morning Shirlmelbourne,

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear of your difficulties with our housekeeping and concierge. I have brought the matter up with the person concern.

Yes sometime we do have traffic issues especially at the corner of Chili Culture restaurant,traffic can be bad you can wait around 30 minutes before anything moves.

I am very sorry that the housekeeping did not change the soap daily, as per our practice we won't be changing unless the guest request for it.

gm@presidentsolitaire.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Currently staying in this hotel (16-21 Sept 2010) A single father travelling with my 5yr old son. Staying in a solitare suite.
On arrival we had to wait about 2 hours for our room to be ready. Though it seemed that other guests arrived and were shown to their room straight away.
Bedroom is big and roomy. Kitchen area has microwave and hot plate.
Large TV and dvd in the bedroom. I would of thought for a one bedroom appartment that there would of been a TV in the living area as well. I would of had a big TV/dvd in the living area and just a TV in the bedroom. But just the one TV.
Our room had NO towels. Then when they were frayed and old. Clock did not work. The 2 bedside lamps did not work. They have a questionair that they would like guests to fill out, but there is NO pen to be found.
So far I have been here 3 nights and the rubish bin in the kicten has not been emptied yet. When I moved the phone on the bedside table, there was half a bisciut under it. Empty complimentry water bottles still left in bathroom, not taken away by cleaning staff.
Hotel is suituated in a quiet area. Yes it is a good 10 minutes walk to Nana Sky Train. Hotel does have a Tok Tok service which seems standard for hotels away from main transport.
Door staff are pleasent. Breakfast is ok, enough to choose from.
I have stayed in alot of hotels in Bangkok and Thailand and generally like to try new hotels. This hotel is OK for a one bedroom appartment. I have another 7 nights here in Bangkok and will be staying at one of this hotels other hotels. Namely the Grand President which I have stayed in before, (about 5 years ago) Judging the 2 hotels as it stands, I would rate the Grand President better for the money.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Good morning darylgreen,

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear of your difficulties with our housekeeping and Front Desk. I have brought the matter up with the person concern.

Sir, we will normally accommodate our guest accordingly if we have rooms available when you arrive early. I think in your case your room category that you request was not available,I am very sorry .

I am very sorry that the housekeeping was not to the standard and I have called our Executive Housekeeper about the matter, I guess she did went up to your room and apologize for all the issues.

Dhaka
Reviewed 18 September 2010

the Solitaire has wonderfully large rooms - which are a rarity in today's world.
And the Ananda spa there is extremely good.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 17 September 2010

What a difference 2 years makes! I stayed here for 4 nights and didn't sleep well at all. I stayed in a solitaire club room because they "claimed" online that they had been refurbished. Nothing has been changed from two years ago. The TV didn't work - it was fixed later - but the old plasmas have a poor picture. The breakfast buffet is not what it was, and they were very slow to replace dishes when finished. The check in and check out was painfully slow. As mentioned by another reviewer the housekeeping does not replace the complimentary water. You have free access to the mini bar in a club room, but only upon arrival - in other words clean out the free stuff from the mini bar when you get there, otherwise if you take the "free" drinks out the next day - you will be charged???? The extra pillows in the closet had no pillow covers on them. The worst part is the air conditioning - completely wore out and VERY loud! I didn't sleep well at all. They attempted to fix it (I wish I hadn't watched - looked like the filter had never been cleaned and wires fell out everywhere) but couldn't They did move me to a bigger room where the air con compressor is not near the bed, but is in the entrance and I slept fine from that point on. The staff were very understanding and attentive, however when I changed rooms, I'd left a few things and when I asked to retrieve them, they said they'd been thrown away or were no longer in the room. The tuk-tuk service was very good - but it's only one way. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very nice hotel, it is very good value. There are just better options out there now.

Good morning ChinaJim,

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear of your difficulties with our housekeeping,dining room and Front Desk. I have brought the matter up with the person concern.

Sir, we have renovated 50 rooms out of 134. I am not sure which room you were referring too anyway sorry if the room standard is not to your expectation. With regards to the complimentary water if it was not replaced I am sorry.

We were running average 90% average this month and I am sorry again for not replenished the buffet on time, sometime we have many guest having breakfast at the same time and again I should not find any excuses.

I have asked my maintenance to check all the air conditioning in the room after your comments.

Algiers, Algeria
Reviewed 16 September 2010

first time i discover a real needs in hotel .
kitchinet in room price very abordable every think you need staff help you.
if you transit by bkk go in this hotel and tell me.
u'll be happy sure.
ketfi lamri specialste in hotels.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Good afternoon ketfilamri,

Thank you for staying at the President Solitaire. I hope that you would return in the near future and email me if I can assist you in any way.

Thank you for your comments and I wish you a pleasant day ahead.

Affendy Ismail
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 16 September 2010

Stayed for 6 days. The hotel is a nice but a little dated. Large rooms and yes value for money. However a couple of flaws let it down. No towels left on a couple of occasions and the free water not replaced in fridge only stuff you pay for. Worrying things like a small electrical service hatch in the lift at child height level with dangerously exposed razor sharp edges. An underwater light in the pool hanging down on electrical wiring. And I had no internet for the duration of our visit. I was showered with a number of irritating excuses the most “tactless” being “Sir, your computer is no good” not exactly what you need to hear with a brand new £1000 (THB 47,786) laptop which has worked perfectly everywhere else and incidentally still does at other hotels visited since. A staff member told me (quietly) the hotel has a problem with the vista operating system?

Having said this, once notified the staff did everything they could to assist. They even arranged IT engineers to visit (albeit to no avail) and allowed me to use the business facilities to compensate. That said, the staff are this hotels strength, they are fantastic and very pleasant doing all they could at every instance. The rooms are clean (if towel less) room service food was ok, breakfast ok and the free Tuk Tuk is very useful.

So, would I stay again? For the price and pure staff friendliness, yes..... but only just :(

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Immy-Steve
Good morning Immy-Steve,

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear of your difficulties with our hotel. I have brought the matter up with the person concern.

There shouldn't be any excuses if your room are without towels, again we failed. With regards to the elevator control hatch, unfortunately we were doing some servicing and my maintenance accidentally forget to lock it.

We do have some issue with certain laptop and programmed. I guess the person whom you spoke too just couldn't explain it and said the wrong things. I had a briefing with my Front Desk team with regards to the matter.

Morristown, NJ
Reviewed 13 September 2010

I should preface this review by stating that I have a bias towards large, luxury type hotels, especially in Bangkok such as the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit or the Le Meridien. This was my first stay at a boutique type hotel and I offer the rating and review based on expectations for this type of property. It would be unfair to try to compare it to a larger chain hotel. This review is probably most helpful to someone who has the same bias but would like to consider a boutique luxury hotel that has better value.

The President Solitaire is probably one of the best values in Bangkok. Through a Travelocity promotion I paid $350 for 6 nights in a Platinum suite (one of their best) which includes free wi-fi and breakfast. For 250 baht/night (about $8/night) I upgraded to a club level room which is renovated and offers 25% off the Ananda spa menu with free 30 minute hot stone massage, 15% off food and drinks (including room service), and 2 hours nightly happy hour. Needless to say, it's a no-brainer upgrading to a club level room.

Here are some quick positives and drawbacks to this hotel:

POSITIVES:
1) Excellent value for money: Depending on what suite you want, you're only paying somewhere between $60-$100 for a spacious room with free breakfast (which is quite good with a variety of selections) and Internet. Some of the furnishings may be a little dated, but it's still incredible value. Room service prices were also extremely reasonable. No extra charges for guests to your room.
2) Quiet but prime location: It's tucked away at the end of Soi 11 on Sukhumvit and you hear very little noise at night. You can actually get a nice quiet sleep which is a bonus. However, you're still in the heart of touristy Sukhumvit and there's a free hotel shuttle available. Walking is about 10-12 minutes (recommend the left hand side of the street for this).
3) Spa: The Ananda spa at the hotel is a real gem. Prices are very fair and even more so with the 25% club discount (at check-in I got a 30% coupon good for a few select massages as well). The service and massage quality here is bar-none amazing.

DRAWBACKS:
1) Service: I was surprised here because I figured that at a boutique hotel service would be much more attentive than at a large chain hotel. However, I found the staff to be a bit colder and less friendly than elsewhere. Check-in took awhile because the hotel tried to charge me 1000 baht for the upgrade from my normal suite to the same suite with club benefits. I had to show them an email from the GM Affendy Ismail that this should cost about 250 baht per night. They finally did grant the upgrade at 250 baht per night. At check-out the woman barely cracked a smile or asked how my stay was. I put the bar here in Thailand for service much higher than elsewhere in the world and was disappointed that the staff didn't come across as warmer and more friendly. Also, several times when ordering room service the bill I signed did not have my 15% club discount and I had to mention to the server to get it adjusted - this shouldn't happen repeatedly at a top hotel.
2) Fitness center: The fitness center is really small and poor. Only 1 elliptical machine that is very dated, dusty and doesn't have a cup holder. The free weights are the type that gives your fingers blisters because they are so rough. I worked out here once and just couldn't again. They need to renovate and update the equipment.
3) Housekeeping: Overall poor -- once I called and asked for my room to be cleaned immediately as I was leaving the hotel for a few hours. Came back and nobody had touched it (they finally cleaned it after I called again, but I never got any acknowledgment or apology). A couple times housekeeping left cleaning items and trays in the middle of my room. Cleaning seemed rushed and not attentive -- for instance my sink area did not look like someone cleaned it well with hairs and soap residue still very visible.

The good news is that the drawbacks are very easily correctable by this property and it's possible that the service and housekeeping issues I encountered are not the norm. And if you don't intend to workout anyway, the fitness room issue isn't one you would care about. If that's all the case, then I would recommend staying at the President Solitaire. You get a lot for your money -- a spacious suite, tasty breakfast, free Internet, quiet sleep and access to an affordable top quality spa.

Good morning Neil_in_morristown,

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear of your difficulties with our hotel. I have brought the matter up with the department concern.

There shouldn't be any excuses if your room are not to the standard and poor service rendered during your stay.

All the staff should be happy to served our guess which were proud off,unfortunately I don't think you felt the same. I had a briefing especially with my front office team with regards to this matter and shown them your comments. We have no excuses but to say sorry.

gm@presidentsolitaire.c