Atlanta Hotel
US$113
  • Pool
US$149
US$115
All reviewsrooms are basicbudget hotelswimming poololdest hotelquirky hotelno liftfourth floorhot waterhotel poolrestaurant stafflaundry servicebusy citythai foodskytrain stationfoyeranonghammocks
Reviewed 22 March 2013

The Atlanta Hotel is a affordable hotel that will make you think it's 1940 or so. It is far out of step with the fast pace of Bangkok outside it's doors. It is beautiful to experience the lobby, restaurant, staircases, front desk-that must be why they film so many movies/TV shows here (they were fliming something on my floor when I stayed here). I think it's on the website that the outdoor pool here is the first one ever built in Bangkok. You'll enjoy it if you go in the hotter seasons.
I think the staff sucks though, It's like they know how affordable the place is, so you as the guest should be willing to tolerate their strict, snotty attitude. Rooms were adequate, but I was surprised to find an empty crack (cocaine) vial on the top of the bureau in the room. Someone's not following the ideals of the harsh German guy who started the place!
Overall, I'd say stay here a couple of days just to experience it. It is worth it, The Atlanta is like no Hotel I've ever seen or stayed in before or since.

Room Tip: When I was there, they didn't have air conditioning. It sounds like they do these days though.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jbyrley
Reviewed 13 March 2013 via mobile

Budget hotel in the midst of the chaos that is Bangkok. Super affordable and helpful friendly staff. On site restaurant was great too. Did I mention affordable? Cheap. On site safe if you have lock...

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 27 February 2013

It's a different place from the others, I have choosen it after I was looking at their website. I liked the super moral tone in the introduction and the fact that this Hotel has a quiet long history. The lobby and the restaurant are indeed very beautiful, but the rooms in terms of decoration and age of the beds etc are the opposite. I doesn't need too much money to change this. The bathrooms are below average. The towels are old.

The breakfast crew is quiet unfriendly, but the one for dinner is very friendly and attentive. There was an intern that I can't stop praising. She tried really hard to do her job well. The food is very good.
The hotel is located near a very noisy (also at night) road, so that the beautiful garden with the swimmingpool are overshadowed by constant highway noise. The rooms are not very well isolated, so bring earplugs in case your neighbours have a different rhythm.
The reception personnel was not very motivated. When fex. I arrived the first night late and had discovered the taxi driver tried to charge much more than on the hotels website was written I asked the reception guy to help, but he said, if its this price, I had to pay it. First after I insisted he came out to help. The hotel is ok, but if you are looking for sth relaxing then another place with maybe a little higher room rate would be more suitable.

Room Tip: The B and C floor don't have Wifi, so if you are really in need for internet connection all the time ask for an A level room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Have just returned from my latest visit - I have been staying there regularly for over 10 years now. The rooms are basic but adequate, the staff great, the rates are very reasonable and the restaurant offers a very large choice to select from. But it is the Hotel's policy of no pimps, prostitutes or drugs and non-residents not allowed past the foyer that in my mind really makes this place. Apart from the occasional door slamming or child crying, the only sound is the distant hum of traffic on the expressway nearby. A hectic day sightseeing/shopping etc in this very busy and often hot city, is ideally completed with a spell in the cool pool and delicious meal in the restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I am an unashamed Atlanta 'Groupie', having been staying there for over 25 years now. It is as good and as excellent value as ever it was. The food in the restaurant (Non residents are not welcomed) is sheer bliss. The en-suite bathrooms were due a makeover and they are now rapidly getting one. The 'Atlanta' is NOT 'Party Central' so the Full Moon brigade would not be welcome or indeed have much of a good time there. Also most unwelcome are tawdry 'Sex Tourists', their behaviour is not tolerated by the staff or management of this gem of a place. The Atlanta is the preserve of those seeking tranquillity and it is an eccentric oasis of calm amidst a frantic world.
Andrew Bruce
Dumfries
Scotland

Room Tip: There are no lifts at The Atlanta. Top 4th Floor (D) are Fan rooms with balconies and double beds. 3rd Floor (C Rooms) are small doubles with double beds, balconies and A/C and 1st and second floors are bigger double rooms with A/C. Personally I always take an A/C room on the third floor. The Atlanta is VERY popular 12 months of the year. Unless you book as far in advance as you can, you might very well NOT get a room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo