Atlanta Hotel
Priceline
US$179
US$160
Priceline
All reviewsrooms are basicbudget hotelswimming poololdest hotelquirky hotelno liftfourth floorhot waterrestaurant stafflaundry servicebusy citythai foodfoyeranonghammocksthailandpets
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Sometimes I don't know why I come back here! The accommodation side of it is a little depressing. But somehow I keep coming back! Don't expect luxury or style - rooms are clean but plain, outdated, a little backpackerish. I suppose I come back because it's cheap, and has a certain charm - the pride in its history and the fact they don't appreciate "degenerates or sex tourism". The pool and jungle garden out back is lovely (could do will some maintenance). I suppose it's an institution really. If I'm on a budget and need to stay in that area, I stay there. Otherwise there are options nearby for just a bit more. The restaurant is fab though. All up, it's good points are the food, locAtion, outdoor area and lobby, as well as price. Bad points- run down but clean, rooms a little depressing.

Room Tip: I prefer a garden view room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Thenessness
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The Atlanta hotel is different. If you like the standard hotelrooms, please avoid this place. If, however, you are like me and have a special place in your heart for the extraordinary, check out this hotel. You will find quirky and humourous texts all over the place. The rooms are without any kind of extra comfort, but what is offered, is more than enough. It was for me, in any case. I loved the swimming pool. I loved the authentic food in the restaurant. The guide in the central hall "Thailand for tourists" is definitely worth the read. The lady in the restaurant hugged us after staying five nights and wished us well. How kind is that? This place is unmissable if you want real and authentic kindness in the centre of Bangkok.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Savannah020
Reviewed 21 July 2014

If you are looking for all mod cons then definitely don't stay here, but if you are looking for a place with history and character then consider the Atlanta. It's true that the basic bedrooms are a bit dated but ours (we chose a suite which included a sitting area) was clean and comfortable enough. However, when you step into the foyer ("the oldest unaltered in Thailand") you get a sense of the hotel's former glory. We often lingered in the 1950s-style restaurant – magazines and newspapers are provided, and there is wifi access – as well as the small library and writing room in the foyer area. Staff were friendly, especially the head waitress who is every bit as characterful as the hotel. Unusually for me (vegetarian) there were dozens of dishes to choose from and we ate here regularly during our five-night stay. Also appreciated the social conscience ("no sex tourists") and commitment to animal welfare.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ReviewbyKL
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Ive stayed in a LOT of hotels around the world and this would be one of my favorite.

NO smoking on the premises.
Excellent garden with tables.
Massive hammocks
Quiet yet central location
Fan rooms with excellent ventilation when you open up the 2 doors.
Great restaurant with Anong the manager who has worked here for 41 years...

Excellent vegan menu.
No loud hotel guests.
Great work desks in the foyer.
Fastest internet for youtube uploads Ive encountered ever. ( I make youtube vids for a living).

Room Tip: Don't want a rave party next door? Stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank Durian R
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I found out about this hotel from the Lonely planet guide, whose description: "You half expect Humphrey Bogart to trot down the stairs in this perfectly preserved mid-20th century lobby. The rooms are skeletal in comparison", is particularly apt. The entrance is immaculate old world design, complete with a writing desk and book ladder. Up stairs it's a bit of a different story. My room was fairly spacious, but the beds were, indeed, skeletal and thin, as was the bathroom. The room is bare except for a telephone. The door which led onto the balcony was nailed shut, which gave a slightly claustrophobic feel. Other than this it is in a great location, near a supermarket (at the end of the street) and near the trains. Unless you're prowling around the streets at night you're unlikely to encounter any serious sex activity, so it's quite a safe area to stay in. I would stay out of the pool though, which looks fairly deep and old...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo