“AVOID AT ALL COSTS”
Review of Ma Hotel

Ma Hotel
Ranked #630 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The swimming pool is unusable due to a massive mosquito problem and it's in the reception where everyone stares at you. Apart from this I was a victim of an indecent sexual attack from the night time supervisor. He visited my room in the night to fix the safe and closed my door, he repeatedly made sexual advances towards me and would not leave the room. I had to get the British consulate involved and they are currently doing a thorough investigation. When I spoke to the night manager he called me a liar and started shouting at me and telling me I was lying. I asked for a refund so I could leave and go to another hotel. He refused and continued shouting at me. I am waiting for the result of the investigation and I will be taking legal action against this hotel. I STRONGLY advise that anyone should avoid this hotel an if they do stay here do not let any members of staff into your room especially if you are alone. There are many more hotels better quality for the same price. PLEASE PLEASE avoid this place at all costs

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank steven s
Varavuthi B, General Manager at Ma Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Khun Steven,

Greetings from Ma Hotel Bangkok,

First of all, We would like to thank you very much for choosing to stay in our hotel. We would like to explain for your all comments. Mr. Thanavin did not sexually harass neither Mr.Steven nor Mr.Steve and other incident which your did not mentioned. The reasons are as follows:

1. With less than 3 minutes and 36 seconds in the room, we do believe that it would take him that long to greet the guests, unlock the safe deposit box, come out and go back in to put the cover back that he forgot. This would certainly left him almost no time for other meaningful conversation, especially when they were never acquainted prior the incident.
2. There were two guests in the room and with the limited amount of time, we found it hard to believe that Mr.Thanavin alone would dare to harass a two full grown men.
3. According to our standard procedure the door was always opened.
4. The guests remained in the room for almost half an hour after the claimed incident before leaving the hotel to go outside. During that half an hour There was no call or complain to any of the hotel staff as well as Manager on Duty. The guests came back to complain over six hours after the claimed incident. We believe that if the incident really happened the guests would probably complain right away.
5. Mr. Thanavin is one of the top staff who was voted by our guests for his high quality service through hotel questionnaires. We are confirmed still Mr.Thanavin had no history of complaint by other guests and in his past working.
6. According to the guests outside incident. On 29/12/2014 Mr.Wipark (Front Office Manager) who was manager on duty. Mr.Steven and Mr. Steve have asked the hotel to refund their payment for 1 night stay, but Mr.wipark had informed them that prior to refunding, The hotel's procedure would require to perform a full investigation on the matter. The guests did not agree with waiting for full investigation and informed us that they would report to British Embassy. Along with the issue about the "Sexual Harassment Incident". We received a call from Bangrak Police station which informed Mr.Sunderland to urgently contact them about his other incident outside hotel last night . Which Mr.Sunderland had gone into a fight with A Pakistani man at DJ pub (Silom soi 2) and had injured that man, we believe that the guests simply wanted us to refund them right away as to get away immediately.

Once again thank you very much to stay with us and for your feedback.

Varavuthi B.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Check in.
Deposit 1000 Baht with wrong name on the statement.
I complained that i am not Mr. Wallow from Sri Lanka and they answered me
that no matter who's name is on it.
Check out.
Of course i was not Mr. Wallow from Sri Lanka and they asked me where i found this deposit
receipt.
When they understood that i am not stupid and i would never accept to not take my deposit back they asked me to pay 2000 Baht because as they said i smoked to my room (i never did) so they must go buy a "disinfection sprey of 2000 baht" from a :super market".
I answered that i didn't smoked so i will never pay this amount.
Now guess what.
They told me that i look a nice guy so they will make a discount for me of 1000 baht so they
pretend to keep my deposit or better mister Wallow's deposit.:)
After various meetings between them they decided to make a new discount of 500 baht.
Finally i accepted because there was not other way to let me go to the airport
and of course they kept 500 without receipt because their printer was out of order.
In other words..... never and never, forever and never.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Dimitrios D
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I stayed at the Ma Hotel for 2 nights. Its a standard room, comfortable and clean, but not enough mirrors in my opinion. But lovely and quiet - great for a good night's sleep.

the first morning I could not get any hot water for the shower, was only lukewarm, but the next day it was on with full force - tho the water pressure was highly varied, and went from just right to scalding water numerous times. Just plan accordingly. Showers were otherwise clean and looked as if had just undergone a renovation. Not bad at all.

Breakfast had several selections and was somewhat varied, but a little ho-hum, but just enough if you have to dash out and put something in your tummy for a long day.

Wi-fi was no problem, but lagged at times.

If I could give this place a rating, I would rate a C+. Staff warm and friendly, but i was given the wrong room key on the first night and walked in on an occupied room. Whoops! Easily rectified and with no fuss.

If you are a fussy traveler, this is not your place. If you are looking for a place to shower, relax, and sleep in a clean bed with no frills - this will suit just fine.

Room Tip: Doors keep out no noise - either from inside or out. Bring earplugs if need.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Hmmm, where to start...

Looks good in the pictures, maybe I got given a duff room since I booked very late and got a 'cheap' price. Room was just 'ok' - corner room with a window (kind of) with a pile of rubble outside. No info offered at check in of any kind.

Shower totally useless - hot then cold then a dribble. Sink wouldn't drain (finally after 30 minutes). Bed was decent. Huge TV but a bit pointless if you don't speak Thai. WiFi - forget it! In the room was worse than dialup, unusable. It seems all the room doors can only be closed with a loud bang, which you'll hear a lot of. Lots of noise whenever people move about in adjacent rooms or corridors.

Booking said that breakfast was included, but in the morning I'm told, no breakfast included, maybe you can buy something in the dining room. Asked for a café near by - nobody at the desk knew of one. Desk staff were friendly but not particularly helpful.

They probably shouldn't say there is a pool unless the word 'paddling' is inserted before it. Perhaps add a few fish and have a nice feature for the lobby, because that's where it is.

All in all, a big flop. I know it's on the cheap end of the scale, but it just seemed like everything was on the slide. If I'd paid full whack I would have been very grumpy! (This is just mild grumpiness, honest).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Matt Q
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Super comfortable plushy (but not overly plushy) beds, friendly service and great location. Best value for a 4 star in this area. Booked through agoda. Did not eat at the restaurant so can not judge. Could use a full gym , pool is on the lobby floor right by reception (nice, not overly clorinated). Will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank porkchop_on_the_go
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Ma is a small hotel, but the location is great, its near everything, and very near (4 $ tuk tuk) to patpong market. near restaurants to it, and easy to find a taxi to anywhere
Staff are extremely friendly, and the hotel is very clean
- problem with the country, take with you a spray and everything u need in regards of mosquitoes
- their breakfast is not much of international, its more than a Thai breakfast, i could not handle it, so, its a waste!
but i would totally recommend it to anyone who will visit Thailand- Bangkok

Room Tip: Rooms are very basic and small, but floor number 5 has the bigger rooms, adviced.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank DinaAT
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

Really good and friendly service. Good location in Silom area. Rooms are clean and nice. Good value for your money!
Also restaurant services provided good.
Swimming pool are is quite small and inside, but ok.

• Stayed: April 2013