“Somerset is really home away from home” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Somerset Park Suanplu

Somerset Park Suanplu
Ranked #118 of 844 Hotels in Bangkok
Singapore, Singapore
“Somerset is really home away from home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

It's our second time staying in a Somerset Serviced Apartment. Our first time was just great and Somerset has just become a wonderful option for us in every city that we will visit in.

Location was somewhat far from being accessible. When you're in a city like Bangkok, you would want to be walking distance the nearest BTS or MRT. However, I find that this is an acceptable trade for the extra space that you're getting. Besides, I also like staying in a quiet location. As mentioned in other reviews, Somerset also provides a tuktuk service to the Sala Daeng BTS station every 30 minutes (from 930pm to 630pm). There was a time that the Tuktuk was late by 15 minutes but mainly because it was rush hour and nothing can be done about it.

Although the rooms were far from being immaculate, it was clean, chic, comfortable and very homey. It's very good value and it's really like a home away from home.

But like our homes, it should be refreshed once in a while and I think Somerset Park Suanplu is due for one:
- some of the walls can use a paint job
- some of the units may need to be "aired" once in a while if not being occupied for more than a week; it was evident that our unit (room 1601) has not been occupied for quite some time because of the smell.
- the sink should also be checked
- the bed also didn't fit the headboard that I wonder if there was a bigger bed before
- CRT television???

The breakfast spread was great. There's a variety to choose from: Asian and Western which caters to the taste of most guests. However, quality for the Asian line-up was a hit or miss which made me think if they have different chefs every day. In the five days that we were there, we enjoyed day 1 and day 5.

In terms of service, everyone was courteous and helpful. The housekeeping team needs to pay more attention though on items that needs to be replenished.

If you're staying in Bangkok for more than 3 days, I suggest that you try Somerset Park Suanplu. Although it's far from the busy streets of Bangkok, it's what you would want in a home --- a place where you can recharge after a day of exploring a buzzing city like Bangkok. Plus, did I tell you it's a good value for money?

Room Tip: as much as possible, ask for higher floors.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear Matthew4971,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience. It was a great pleasure having you stay with us once again.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. At the same time, we are happy to have met your expectations in service and quality standards. Receiving such positive feedback from our residents motivates us to further improve our commitment to delivering good service. We do note your comments about some of the furnishings and we are planning to commence some refurbishments from mid 2013.

Once again, thank you for your valued patronage. From all of us at Somerset Park Suanplu, we look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

Although this is not they newest of properties, this place "works".. I stayed here with my family on a short break and we used several of the amenities, the pool was good however it was covered which made it quite cold, there was also a small kids paddle pool which was attached to the main pool which was not covered so that was a little warmer, the changing rooms were not very good, so I suggest changing in your room and coming down. The breakfast was served in the restaurant in the lobby, the staff were very nice, but make sure you get your breakfast vouchers (if your rate includes breakfast) as they are quite strict about it. We also used the free tuk-tuk which the apartment offers to Central Silom/BTS, The tuk-tuk was punctual and nice, but note it's only one-way and they don't offer pick-up (at least what the driver told me) A nice thing was the apartment had a mini-mart in the lobby but even better was a few steps outside was a 7-11 which was easy to get things from. There is nothing open on the Soi after about 11pm apart from the 7-11 so if you like to get late night meals etc this is not the place for you. The rooms were fine, I got a chance to stay in the older and newer style rooms and both were perfectly fine, spacious and good. The only problem with the rooms is that they all have balconies, when your travelling with toddlers this is not the best thing as they can quite easily open the lock, and then quite easily climb up the barricade of the balcony, ONLY for this reason I wouldn't recommend staying here with toddlers. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. Beware: There is a tour desk in the lobby, the tour desk operator which is an older lady is very very pushy.. but in a funny way.. if you ask her about any tours, she will hound you until you book it through her!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank M88M
Dear M88M,

Thank you for your comprehensive feedback on your recent stay.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. At the same time, we are happy to have met your expectations in service and quality standards. Receiving such positive feedback from our guests motivates us to further improve our commitment to delivering good service.

As our restaurant is outsourced, guests are issued with breakfast coupons if included in room rate to present the operator and hence why they require them on arrival to breakfast. Thanks for the comment about our tour desk operator. I will remind her of the service she is providing and try not to be too 'pushy'.

Once again, thank you for your valued patronage. From all of us at Somerset park Suanplu, we look forward to welcoming you again at any one of our serviced residences.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

I'm not able to rate the hotel as I've not stayed there before. Nevertheless, I look forward to my stay at Somerset Park Suanplu in end March.

Lastly, I'm also impressed with the personal touch of the GM. It takes one's sincerity to make an effort to reply to every single review.

Well done....

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this review, 17 February 2013
Dear E L Singapore,

Thank you for your comments.

I note your are staying with us in late March. Should you wish us to reconfirm your reservation details or have any requests, please do email us at enquiry.bangkok@the-ascott.com

We look forward to welcoming you to Somerset Park Suanplu.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

I stayed here for two weeks in January 2013. I can highly recommend this establishment for exceptional value cleanliness and location. Easy access to trains and markets. Hotel staff including Aussie GM friendly and very helpful. Only downside smoking in rooms is still allowed which affected me but such is life can't wait to get back there.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
Dear SammanthaS,

Once again, thank you for your valued patronage. From all of us at Somerset park Suanplu, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

This review is a bit late in coming as I stayed at Somerset Park for approximately 6 – 7 weeks in November to December 2010. However, the hotel so justly deserves a great review that I’m going to post this anyway. I hope things haven’t changed at Somerset Park as I plan to stay there my next trip to Bangkok!
I was sent to Somerset Park after having spine surgery at the nearby BNH Hospital. I’ve stayed at excellent hotels in the USA, Asia and Europe, and I’ve stayed in fancier and newer hotels than Somerset Park. But of all the hotels I’ve stayed in around the world in the last 30 years, Somerset Park definitely had the kindest staff and management of all!
The doormen, front desk staff, spa and fitness center staff took excellent care of me and were always kind and helpful. The staff was always concerned for my welfare as I recovered from spine surgery and other health issues.
Manager Khun Valter, front desk staff member Khun Petchuluck, and the whole fitness center and spa staff, especially Khun Maew deserve special commendation for all of their assistance to me and concern for me. I didn’t even miss not having any family or friends around in my recovery from what was a truly horrible surgery.
The housekeeping staff were also very kind and responded to my requests promptly. I can’t remember the names of all the hotel staff who gave me assistance and I do them a great disservice. But I’ll never forget their kind faces or how well I was treated.
The first room I was put in was huge and very nice, but I just didn’t care for the layout and since I had to spend most of my time hanging around the room, I changed after a few days. The new room I was put in was perfect – very light and bright with a large balcony and a view of Soi Suan Pluu. The room was on a high enough floor that noise was not a real problem.
The hotel lobby is nice and bright and had lovely art work from local artists for sale. The lobby restaurant was always empty; except for breakfast (breakfast comes with the room). The breakfast was nothing special, I will admit. The lower quality of the breakfast is the only complaint I can give for the hotel.
The room service was good and usually quite prompt and was happy to deliver to my room or poolside.
The pool is not huge and the area is mostly shaded, but I enjoyed the pool area and spent a lot of my recovery time there. In fact, the staff helped me have a lovely birthday party poolside!
One of the nicest things about Somerset Park is the green and park-like front “yard” for lack of a better term. There are (or were) lots of koi fish in the pond, a small walking path, and enough shade and lawn to make spreading a blanket outside and reading or relaxing surprisingly enjoyable. There just isn’t a lot of green “lawn space” in Bangkok where one can just lay on the grass and read a book or something. But Somerset Park is lucky enough to have a small bit of green.
The hotel is about a ten minute walk to the nearest sky train station. This is the only other down side – distance from the Sky Train. But the hotel does have a Tuk Tuk that can take hotel guests to the sky train.
Personally, I love Soi Suan Pluu. It has a little big of everything. No huge malls or complexes on Soi Suan Pluu, but to me that makes it feel more local and authentic. There is an interesting wet market just down the road from the hotel, and a holistic medicine center right across the street from the hotel. Alliance Française is a short walk and situated on Satorn road. Alliance Française has a wonderful little café for eating lunch!
People looking for the immigration department, which was located on Soi Suan Pluu since roughly the beginning of time, will be disappointed. The immigration department has moved far away to (or near) a huge complex in or near Chaeng Wattana. Too bad! Soi Suan Pluu is very low key compared to nearby Silom road and is not really a “touristy” area. To me, that is a HUGE plus. But, that might not be to everyone’s tastes.
One note: laundry at the hotel was rather pricey. So I took my laundry to combination flower shop/laundry shop immediately to the “right” (East) of Somerset Park. Of course, I don’t know if it’s still there after two years.
In terms of other facilities, there is a tennis court and guests can pay for lessons. I took a few tennis lessons and really enjoyed it! I can’t say much about the exercise equipment was my spine surgery didn’t allow me to use it. There are also various exercise classes, but again, I wasn’t able to take them so I don’t know about the quality.
The women’s restroom on the fitness center/swimming pool floor had both a steam room and sauna, which was very nice. There was also a very small room with Internet access and a printer. I only used it for printing and I don’t recall if it was free or not. The rooms had free WiFi during my stay.
The best part of Somerset Park is that it truly felt like home and I was happy to return to my room each night!! Actually, this is a serviced apartment which is great for longer stay visitors. I truly loved my stay at Somerset Park and I can’t wait to go back!

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor for both the view and the quiet. I liked having a room facing Soi Suan Pl...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Dear Waterlili2544,

Thank you for your detailed feedback on your last stay with us.

Your compliments inspire us to continually provide and improve the level of service that residents have come to expect.

Once again, thank you for making us one of your preferred accommodation choices. We look forward to welcoming you again to Somerset park Suanplu or at any one of our serviced residences.
Hastings, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

this was our third visit to the somerset. We thought they would have ironed out some of the issues, such as rather tired decor and facilities. But in spite of hearing it had been improved very little has been improved. The breakfast is large in quantity but low in quality.
The staff are very kind and helpful, but are not supported by effective management.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms where the toilet leads off from the bedroom.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Valter N, General Manager at Somerset Park Suanplu, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Dear Graham F,

Thank you for your feedback on your 3rd stay with us.
We hope to commence our refurbishment program by mid 2013.
We hope that on your next visit you may experience our refurbished rooms. More information will be published on our webiste when we have firm start dates.
Thanks for your continued support.
Pune, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

Fairly good location if the hustle & bustle is not what you unwind to at the end of the day.Besides Baan Kanitha,Sala Daeng,Suarwong & Silom nearly right by the corner rest assured our gastronomic leanings needn't suffer.great rooms for the price.we had ourselves a 3bedroom unit & the space offering was delicious!

Room Tip: Higher floors for sure buffers the sound & a great kaleidoscope
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Dear Leah1998,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay.
I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the local restaurants in our area.
All our three bedrooms are located on the highest floors 25-28.
We hope to welcome you back again soon.