“Great location, basic room”

ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai
Ranked #169 of 880 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We needed to spend one night in Bangkok while we waited for our flight next day. This was a perfect place to have something to do.

The location of this hotel is in the hart of the tourist area. You walk out the door and you see bars, shops, restaurants, live music etc. Awesome!

My usual review
1) towels were soft
2) sheets and towels clean
3) AC worked great
4) free wifi in room
5) lots of hot water
P.S. room had no safe

The room was very basic and dated. Very basic. Outside in the hallway they had buckets out with water dripping from the ceiling... lol

I found it funny how low the ceiling was in our bathroom... Very low hahaha

The staff were great.
Breakfast was OK... very basic... could have done without the breakfast.

So I would stay here again just to be in the hart of the tourist area and not need to cab it somewhere else. But for a longer stay probably not.

Overall I really have nothing bad to say about the palace...

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side that buts up against the parking garage. It is much more quiet on t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Viengtai, General Manager at ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear PT twice

I would like to genuinely thank you for your valued feedback on your recent stay with Viengtai. I am glad you enjoyed our soft towels, clean sheets, well function air-condition, efficient hot water. Thanks for appreciating our style of hospitality- we believe it’s important for every guest to experience the heart of Bangkok, Price wise with brilliant room quality.

We look forward to stay in touch with you and take good care of you when you are next in town please ask to use our safe deposit boxes at the lobby. They are free for all guest, you might love to know that water dripping from the ceiling in hallway was repaired nicely.

There are newer reviews for ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Good, clean and friendly 3 star. Mix of leisure and business guests. Large room, pretty Spartan but comfortable. Bed quite hard but still managed to oversleep! One block from Khao San Road which is as close as you'd want to be - very noisy and earplugs definitely recommended. Overlooking bars and restaurants on street below so noise of revelers continuing until at least 2am. Good breakfast, service fine.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear TravelSmarty111

Agreed, Viengtai location is second to none as we are right next to Khao San Street also it has harvested flattering reviews and served you well. Your feedback on noises from surrounded restaurants is much appreciated and I am delighted to assure you that we are actively working to improve noise disturbing, with double glass installation.

With comment like yours has sprung us to continually improve services providing to guests, thank you for your understanding and open-mindedness in our maneuver to resolve these matters. Please do not hesitate to contact our reservation at rsvn@viengtai.co.th directly to ensure you are well looked after on your next visit.

Sutiiruk K.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

On the whole I was very happy with the hotel in general and with my room. However, my experience was badly let down by the shower. I am only 6' (183cm) in height but I could not stand up straight in the shower without my head going through the polystyrene ceiling tiles. In my room this would've been a potential issue for anybody 5'10" (178cm) in height or taller. This unfortunately struck me as plain unacceptable, a lot of travellers are going to be taller than 5'10". This is not a problem I have experienced in any other hotel and not one I think a traveller should be reasonably expected to tolerate.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear James R

Your recent stay feedback is greatly appreciated, whereas hearing your situation frustrates me. Allow me to apologize for the bathroom low ceiling inconvenient you had to endure. Please accept our assurance that we will seek to deliver a better experience on your next visit.

You may like to know that our plan to renovate has started and bathroom ceiling is one of the ideas. We hope that your recent stay has not marred your opinion of Viengtai and we hope to have the opportunity to be of service to you again.

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Cheap enough, perfect location near Khao Sarn Rd (ask for a room at the back on the car park side: it's much quieter), good service, cheap food in and nearby the hotel...all round this was as good as we could have expected given its location. Think we got bed bugs a few night which was quite bitey and itchy, but the staff sorted new bed sheets as soon as we told then. Close to loads of great restaurants and attractions, free shuttle bus to Grand Palace, really pleased with this place considering :)

Stayed: July 2014
Viengtai, General Manager at ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear MarcusAsterix

It is enjoyable to see we are located in the close proximity to all your requirements, I also glad that overall you had pleasant stay with Viengtai Hotel. On the other hand I am regretting to hear your trouble with bed bugs as our House-Keeping maintains cleanliness at their utmost effort. I have passed on your value comment to them, Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon should your travel bring you back to Bangkok. Please give us a call or email at rsvn@viengtai.co.th, our reservation team is more than happy to arrange room at the back for you.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Happened to find this hotel after fellow travellers recommended it. We stayed one night because it is expensive in Thailand standards but it was a nice room (nothing fancy). The one bonus of this hotel was the swimming pool. Bangkok heat meant a refreshing swim in the pool was very welcome. The travel agent in the lobby was very helpful and helped us to book further travel down to the west coast - very handy to have that service there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Viengtai, General Manager at ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear DHunter8

It is certainly vital to provide wild range of activities and services options for our guest when travelling away from home to different part of the world. I am elated to catch your comment on a very helpful travel agent in the lobby and swimming pool was the advantage. Our Swimming pool exemplifies an oasis of Viengtai for our guest subsequently hot day out. I am cheerful to hear swimming pool serve its purpose.

I would like to this occasion encourage you to visit the hotel’s website when planning your next stay as we do offer exclusive packages which includes late checkout at 2.00 pm., welcome drink etc. - all of which will certainly add value to your visit.

Once again, it was our pleasure to have you with us and hope that we can extend a warm welcome back in near future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My partner and I ended up staying here for 2 nights for the duration of our time in Sth East Asia. The rooms were comfortable. Our first room was a lot better than the room we got on the 2nd night...air con wasn't working and a much older room. The hotel is located in the amongst the hustle and bustle of BKK with lots of bars, shopping and restaurants right at your front doorstep. Both of our rooms were facing the noise, however, that didn't bother us (you need to expect that whilst in Sth East Asia and its all part of the great atmosphere)! We had early departures for both of our stays here so we never got to try the breakfast menu. The hotel did give us a breakfast box though and that was nice. The swimming pool was great and we used that upon returning to our hotel after a hard day touring, shopping and eating. Staff were very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 21AmberM21

Dear 21AmberM21

Thank you for taking the time to pen a review on Tripadvisor, it is most welcomed and prized. We issue positive feedback directly to our staff. The team and I were ecstatic to read that you received a friendly and accommodating and overall you enjoyed your stay. Our staff constantly put extreme effort to make our guest’s stay irreplaceable and pleasant; your comment therefore has been so well taken.

Whereas negative feedback is used as a management tool to reflect, address and remedy as part of our ongoing efforts to provide our guest first-rate service. I hope that when you are in South East Asia next, Bangkok and we Viengtai Hotel would have another opportunity to host you, our valued guest again.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Have now stayed here three times, so know what I am talking about.

The good:
- friendly and helpful staff
- location (also a bad thing, see below)
- clean rooms
- the pool is an added bonus

The bad:
- location (very noisy and busy, located in a backpacker district so if this isn't your thing then stay away)
- the wifi. The wifi at this hotel is the single worst I have ever experienced, and I've stayed at some truly horrendous hostels across SE Asia. It connects easily enough but is so hideously slow that it takes 20 minutes +++ to send an iMessage. The free computers they offer in the lobby are no better and were so slow I couldn't even check into my flight on them. It's not acceptable in 2014, and misleading to advertise that they offer free wifi as it's of no use at all and we has to go to nearby restaurants to use their wifi.
- staff don't communicate with each other. I was sent email confirmation of a late checkout until 3pm yet on the day I was to checkout I received a call to my room at noon asking if I'd be checking out soon or else I'd be charged an extra night
- the "deluxe" room I paid extra for on my third stay is a bit of a joke. It was located on the second floor looking over the street and was so awfully loud that I didn't sleep a wink. You'd think that a more expensive room would be higher up and facing away from the street, not closer to it!

Overall an ok hotel but I've had my fill. My next trip to Bangkok I'll stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear s4172249

At Viengtai Hotel we are committed to creating memorable experiences for our valued guests and it is certainly a pleasure Viengtai got to welcome you at least 3 times. In the meantime I do truly regret to hear your feedback on the services both external and internal where guest opinion keeps us on our toes. I do apologize for any inconveniences caused and would like to assure you that your recent experience is not the typical standard of our hotel and your feedback will be shared within the management team to ensure that we consistently deliver a professional level of service.

We have also informed wifi provider to increase stronger signal and you are absolutely right, it is 2014 a weak signal is inexcusable. I honestly hope that we can have another opportunity to host you and your family back again. Should you need assistance with reservation, Please do not hesitate to contact our reservation team at +66 2282 5434 or email them at rsvn@viengtai.co.th