“Great location, Friendly Staff, clean & comfortable...lovely stay!!!”

Salil Hotel Sukhumvit Soi 11
Ranked #126 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Sydney, Australia
“Great location, Friendly Staff, clean & comfortable...lovely stay!!!”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

As the first hotel stay in Thailand ever for me and my friend, I thought it was perfect and great value for money!!!
It didn't take long to get to from the airport by MRT (underground train). We were checked into a very clean and comfortable room by friendly staff.
The Salil is just a 5 min walk to sky train, and so close to everything else. Food stalls, taxi's, tuk tuks, shops/malls, tailors, laundry, restaurants etc....
We didn't dine there for dinner, but the buffet breakfasts which were included in our stay, were beautiful! A really good selection which was neatly presented. We especially loved all the sweet fresh fruit.
All the staff are helpful and friendly, especially the tour lady at reception.
If you decide to stay there, you must try Foot joy massage (the lady's with pink shirts) the best foot massages I ever had in Thailand. It's half way between Salil Hotel and the main rd, same side of the street as hotel.

I'm not sure why I am always reading other reviews about staff there not speaking good enough english. I personally found that although A FEW of the staff did not speak fluent english, I was still able to communicate with them, and I didn't have any issues. That statement pretty much goes for the whole time I was in Thailand.
Before I left Australia, I made a point to learn some basic Thai words, and phrases. That is the least I could do out of respect to the Thai people. They are beautiful humble people, and I can't wait to go there again.

To all the staff at Salil Hotel Soi 11,
Keep up the good work and I hope to see you again soon.
Kop khun ka!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tongareva

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in one of their superior rooms. I was travelling alone and this boutique hotel was the perfect choice for me. It is very convenient sine the Nana BTS is just at the end of the street. All the happening shopping places are within 2-3 trains stations away. I absolutely loved the charm of the rooms and was perfect for a quiet getaway. I am definitely coming back to stay in this hotel sooner.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Cabyness
SalilManagement, General Manager at Salil Hotel Sukhumvit Soi 11, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Dear Cabyness,

Thank you for sharing your Salil experiences on TripAdvisor, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the beauty room and love the location.look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Nina.sirikul
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Great area and convenient soi 11 but busy soi too many bars u eat drink all night. Hotel closer train station just walking 3 minute to sky train, room clean cute and lovely, staff very friendly and thanks sa and joey for help us we will be back again!

• Stayed July 2013
SalilManagement, General Manager at Salil Hotel Sukhumvit Soi 11, responded to this review, 21 July 2013
Dear DDNS,

a big “Thank you” for your wonderful compliments and we sincerely hope to welcome you back again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Salil Hotel was nice and clean with friendly and helpful staff. We were very surprised and thankful to be advised upon our arrival that we were upgraded to a top floor room which was very quiet with a great view.

Thank you Salil!

Dear Tuktik5398,

Thank you so much for your wonderful compliments on tripadvisor. We hope to welcome you back again soon to experience yet another memorable stay with us.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Overview experience of nice Hotel Design, friendly staffs, easy location, and even nice breakfast. This Hotel located in the heart of Sukhumvit district where gathered of most foreign travelers. Salil Hotel surrounded by most the western bars, massage centre, 7-11, traveler's facilities, restaurants, and tasty street hawker stalls. 5 minutes walking distant from BTS (Nana station) and much of Taxi/tutuk service enable for visitors access to every part of Bangkok City.

Room Tip: Deluxe Room & Street View the best
1 Thank David Y
SalilManagement, General Manager at Salil Hotel Sukhumvit Soi 11, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear David Y,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review on TripAdvisor, we are so glad you have had a positive and memorable experience here at the Salil Hotel Sukhumvit soi 11. I will certainly share your kind words with all our team. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This small boutique hotel is in a great location on Soi 11, right in the heart of Bangkok. Nana station is a 5 minute walk, as are night markets, and cute VW vans turned into bars line the route at night. We were really happy with the location.

The service however was questionable, although most of the staff were all friendly ...

We arrived a few hours early for check in, and understandably our room wasn't ready. We didn't mind waiting but the lady behind the counter insisted we see the smoking room that was ready. As neither of us smokes, and I have a chronic lung problem we said that we didn't want a smoking room, but she carried on insisting that we see it. We think, because I was in a wheelchair she was trying to be helpful and allow me to get comfortable quicker, but we just felt harassed!

To see the room we went though, as we didn't want to seem unreasonable. It stunk! Within 2 minutes of being in it, we had to leave. Our very helpful, (he actually couldn't do enough) bell boy had already deposited our bags, so to me this wasn't just "looking" at the room, they'd assume we'd be happy, without checking.

So, back down to reception, (in a wheelchair in a very small lift) we went to request another room, and were thankfully given one on a non-smoking floor, (or so we thought!).

The rooms themselves are really cute, and decorated in period colours. The beds are quite large, and comfortable, and there's enough space to move around the room.

We had requested an accessible room however, and although the hotel had explained that there were steps up to the hotel entrance (4), they hadn't explained that there was a large lipped step to get into the bathroom, and then another lip to step over into the shower. Whilst I managed this, this would pose a problem for others who were less mobile. I would imagine there have also been a few incidents of fit & healthy people tripping over this large step in the middle of the night and suffering the consequences. A rather large design fault in the room.

There was the usual complimentary tea, coffee & water, but we were bemused to see a "price list" for broken items. This always worries me in hotels, as you start to wonder about the types of guests ....

Before going out for an afternoon wander on the first day we went to reception to ask for directions. We left feeling more confused than when we got there, and the hotel "map" was a rudimentary drawing on the back of their business card - completely not to scale and missing many vital streets & landmarks.

The next morning we got up early for a planned trip and went down for breakfast. We started to get our buffet breakfast items and were then approached to be told that we didn't have breakfast included. We were made to feel like naughty school kids! Whilst my husband went to check at reception, (as we usually do have breakfast included, and they'd neglected to remind us of this fact at check-in, and we'd been travelling for a month, so no hope of remembering!), I sat and waited, "guarded" by one of the waitresses.

My husband returned with our original booking voucher, and sure enough breakfast wasn't included, but a) we should have been reminded of this at check in, and b) the waitresses could have offered us breakfast at cost, instead of creating the drama that ensued, which was just all very embarrassing! So, without breakfast we left to go in search of some. Not an easy, achievable task at 7am on Soi 11, nothing was open! Back we trudged to the hotel to ask reception if we could please have breakfast. We again felt like school kids! We were told that we'd have to pay the restaurant directly. Bit weird, but whatever, we were really hungry by this point, and now late for our pick up time.

For 250 BHT each we were really disappointed in the breakfast selection. Pastries, fruit, yoghurt, eggs. Just very basic selection. We had a very quick breakfast and left for the day, signing, (not paying?) for our food on the way out.

In the evening we went off to see a Cabaret show and needed a taxi. The evening bell boy, was the polar opposite of the very helpful day one. Not once did he open the door for us, nor assist us with the stairs & wheelchair, and when hovering in front of him, clearly wanting a taxi, he had to pry himself away from his mobile phone! We gave him the directions in Thai, along with a map, to give to the taxi driver, and all seemed fine, until we were lost in the middle of nowhere 20 minutes later, with a very unnerving Tuk Tuk driver who kept calling someone on his phone, and stopping and asking for directions. An hour later we reached our direction, completely late for our pre-paid show, with suspicions that the bell boy at the hotel, hadn't given the correct directions in the first place...?

Upon arrival back at the hotel, sure enough, he was on his phone and completely ignored us when we came in. We're really not sure what he's getting paid for, but it's a really bad image for this hotel.

After the morning breakfast fiasco, we requested at reception if we could have breakfast in our room the next morning, as we'd be leaving early for the airport. We were told no, it was too early.

We also requested a taxi to take us to the airport. We were told no, just come down in the morning when we check out.

So, with nothing organised for the next morning, and no timelines we had no choice but to pack that night. Whilst we were doing so, we realised just how thin the walls really were, as we listened to the high pitch rantings of another couple having an argument at 2am. Eventually we drifted off to sleep to this.... Only to be rudely awakened by the fire alarm at 5am!! Needless to say, we were not at all surprised!

My husband went to reception to check what was happening, but was met on our 4th floor landing to be told the there was "no smoke, so go back to bed".

I personally don't feel comfortable with the fact that if a fire alarm is going off, even if you can't see smoke, then you can't assume all is ok. You certainly couldn't just "go back to bed", as the alarm kept on ringing. After 5 minutes, I got dressed and went downstairs to reception. I wasn't taking any risks, as there is no way I could have walked down 4 flights of stairs, if they suddenly did discover smoke!

Not a single guest in the hotel knew what was going on! The alarm went off for 45 minutes, and during that time, the phone rang constantly in reception. The male receptionist told everyone that "someone smoked too much", and there was no fire, "go back to sleep". This building should have been evacuated, just to put everyone's mind at ease!

Eventually, the fire alarm was "permanently" disabled, so although I went back to my room after an hour, I certainly wasn't sleeping after that! We were delighted to leave an hour later!

So, yes, the hotel is comfortable, and in a great location, but there was just one thing after another with the service that just ruined our stay there. We weren't at all confident in anything and definitely would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Request no smoking if you don't smoke
Dear MelindaMulberry,

We appreciate your feedback on the service. Since you came bit early in the morning and our staff tried not to make you wait tiredly in the lobby though she should have concerned more on the guest conditions. Again your room did not include breakfast but we should have informed and repeated your reservation details on arrival. Should you have any more suggestions which you feel would help to maintain and possibly improve our standard of service, we would sincerely appreciate your advice. And look forward to your return visit soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Even the room is not ready upon our arrival but it's ok as the hotel was prepare the welcome drink and snacks for us. Thanks to Pat her warm smile and personal touch service was make our trip a pleasant beginning.

We are free upgraded to Deluxe room from superior. Room decoration is Bee design, It was adorable! The room is spacious even we are triple and clean, we love it so much. Bathroom with bathtub. The only things is the water drain is poor. Anyway,the in room WIFI is strong also.

Salil offer a various choice of buffet breakfast which you can take whatever you want and we love the pork porridge so much!

Salil Soi 11 have a very good location, just only 10mins to the Nana station. Along the street there are a lots of food stalls selling nice food! Baan Phuan message centre is just beside the hotel only! If you seeking Night life area just step out to the hotel only.

We are enjoying our stay, sure we will come back again! Thank you Salil!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Suki624
SalilManagement, General Manager at Salil Hotel Sukhumvit Soi 11, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Dear Suki624,

Thank you for the wonderful review of your experience at our hotel. We are simply humbled by your kind words and will share it with our team. We are always extremely delighted to hear such positive feedback from our guests.