“Fantastic Hotel in Bangkok”
Review of The Cabochon Hotel

The Cabochon Hotel
Ranked #8 of 643 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Fantastic Hotel in Bangkok”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

This hotel is perfect if you like smaller hotels with some personality. The people at the hotel is very nice and helpful. Breakfast is good. Beds and rooms very nice.
the pool at the top of the hotel is perfect in the hot days in Bangkok. Very quiet and not much people since the hotel has very few rooms.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stinehen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This hotel is pricier than many of the guest houses but it's worth it. It is a real boutique hotel - small, charming, not a chain. It's an old house and they've renovated it to create very nice updated rooms while maintaining the antique feel. It was large, airy, nicely decorated and quite premium.

Room Tip: I stayed in a suite with a separate living room (couch, big table) and bedroom. It was too big for...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank allisonlaux
London
Reviewed 15 March 2013

The Cabochon is a gem of a hotel in the city. I loved the location it was in... there is a gorgeous restaurant and interiors store on the same road, and lots of great places nearby. The hotel design is beautiful. The owners have spent a lot of time paying attention to detail. The bed linen and pillows were very high quality and the room had a great shower.

There were a few things that didn't work properly that staff should tend to... The handle on the toilet in our room was broken and the pumps for the conditioner and body wash in the shower room weren't working so we couldn't use either of these things. Luckily I had brought my own. The breakfast was only ok and the hot tea that I ordered was given to me cold. Also, when I arrived in the evening time the place was lacking in atmosphere - the staff could have turned on some music and asked me if I would like a drink at the bar, or shown me around the hotel. They just checked me in and gave me my key so the hospitality wasn't there. Its the little touches and the great staff that can make a boutique hotel a magical experience but unfortunately it was lacking in these areas.

Overall, I would stay in this hotel again as it is so beautiful but I hope that the management takes note of how to improve.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank TravelgalLondon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I was stimulated to try this hotel after a recommendation in Gourmet Traveller (if my memory serves) - a real hot spot. Hmmm. It is a lovely property in an interesting part of Bangkok that is well worth getting to know. The hotel is beautiful - the decor is chic, intriguing and overall the place is very comfortable, and the staff are terrific. Maybe I dined there on an off night, but I was the only one in the bar and one of three people in the restaurant, either that or there was a bit of journalistic licence in the review. The food is good but you'd be better off taking a 10 minute stroll to Bo-Lan.

Like its sister hotel the Eugenia, it is a property that is a little left of centre which is great, but some things were just a bit annoying. The toilet in my room didn't work properly and had running repairs rather than being fixed. Staff training was a little wayward and the drinks bill needed watching. The continental breakfast was dismal and coffee, like an espresso or latte, was extra. Did I like the hotel, yes. Would I stay again, probably not.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Duncan M
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 January 2013

My granddaughter and I were in Bangkok visiting my son. The three of us stayed at this hotel. We spent 10 days there and were treated with great kindness, hospitality and service. The rooms are large and clean, decorated with beautiful antiques and great taste. The linen is a special import of the softest sheets and pillow cases I have ever used. The beds were sooo comfortable. The hot showers like standing under a waterfall- could not resist having two or three a day. The buffet breakfasts were an interesting, tasty selection from another era. The library full of collectors' designer books, The roof top pool a great relaxation at the end of a hot and busy day, The location easy access to stores and transportation. I was very grateful to all of the staff and the owners for providing this wonderful space and taking care of us so well. It was like visiting with friends in their very sumptuous home - no commercial overtones at all. I actually wept a little when our stay needed to end.

Room Tip: There are only a few rooms and all of very good quality. We had a suite and a single room together a...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lydia T
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Spent one night in Bangkok on our way to Christmas holidays in Koh Chang and my boyfriend kept where we were staying a complete secret. It was late night and when our cab drove down one of the Sois in Sumhumvit, I was really surprised to find this gorgeous colonial-styled property hidden at the end of it.

We were warmly welcomed in the reception/library by the staff with fresh young coconuts to drink and I thoroughly enjoyed soaking in the cosy ambiance. It felt as though we were guests at a family member's luxury mansion! The container styled lift was also extremely innovative and everything was as though I had stepped into a Kipling novel, from the dark paneling of the common room to the various exotic trinkets used as decor.

The room was extremely comfortable and I especially appreciated the small welcome plate of fruits. The double doors that lead to a small balcony also gave it a special touch. Although space was a bit smaller compared to the usual places I have stayed in Bangkok, it was sufficient for two. My only minor complaint would be that I wish that the bathroom had an extra rack/shelf to put our toiletries bags on as there was no flat space to place anything so we had to use the floor. It would also be a bonus to include a long mirror for the femmes out there so we can check how we look before we head out.

As we had arrived quite late, I almost didn't want to leave the room and head out for the ramble that we originally planned - it was just too comfy! However, we did head down to the bar for a drink and I enjoyed a glass of their signature cocktail, which was some sweet mangosteen concoction that I would highly recommend. We also checked out the rooftop pool the next morning but unfortunately didn't have a chance to enjoy it...next time we would have to do that and try the dinner at their restaurant.

The neighborhood is great so do take some time to stroll around and explore a bit. The bar/restaurant at the beginning of the Soi, "Quince" also has cocktails and a menu worth trying so if you're staying for a bit, drop in at least once!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mariposita
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We had the best experience at this hotel. We were whisked from the airport to the lovely, clean, accomodating and gorgeous Cabochon. It feels like a secret from the rest of the world. We had a great nights sleep in our clean and comfortable room. The shower has great water pressure! Another bonus is the bank at the end of the driveway where we got our bhat.
Each morning we started with a nice breakfast in the fantastic dining room, and then went out to explore dirty, busy, crazy, wonderful Bangkok. The location of this hotel put us right in the heart of the action, close to BTS station Thong Lo. There's also a great night market on the opposite side of the street (and slightly east). Coming back to this clean, safe, quiet haven at the end of each crazy day was a blessing. The staff was absolutely gracious and attentive. We will certainly visit again.

Room Tip: I doubt there's a bad room!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple