“Could be better”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sukhumvit
Reviewed 31 May 2014

First of all, the food was excellent. I had sea bass with tamarind. My wife had prawns with tamarind which she enjoyed very much. My dish had thin dried hot peppers so I could add just the right amount of heat to my meal to suit may taste. Presentation of my dish was outstanding.

Now the not so good. The outside tables were too high, without table cloths and generally not very nice for the prices of food and liquor charged by the restaurant. This could be a reasonably nice outdoor area to enjoy a meal, if they just invested a little money to create a better ambience.

Service was there when called but not what you would call attentive or friendly, more business like.

Would I return? Yes, just because of the food.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We were in Bangkok in May and were recommended The Local by a local. Definitely the highlight for us in terms of restaurants. The menu seemed to have many dishes that we didn't see in other restaurants and each one had a small explantation of why it made it on to the menu. The restaurant has three parts to it - a beautiful old house with larger rooms for bigger parties, an outdoor courtyard section, a newer more modern section. As there was only 3 of us in the party, and we didn't fancy sitting outdoors, we were seated in the new bit. It lacked a little of the atmosphere of the main house, but it didn't really detract from the experience as the food was fabulous including the best fish curry I've ever had!
Pricing was on the more expensive side for Bangkok at around £35 per head (starters, main course, couple of cocktails) but obviously great value when compared to the UK.

1  Thank MrandMrsHBournemouth
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our lovely Thai host brought us to this restaurant. She had heard great things about it from her friends and wanted us to try it on our last evening in Thailand. Our entire Thailand trip was about eating - and The Local was one of the best meals we had on our trip! Food there is VERY traditional Thai.

We started with the appetizer set. The Khao Soi (curry noodles) is FABULOUS (I still dream about it), better than any we tried in the North. We then had the Penang Curry Ribs, a pork curry (forgot name) and then a Fish. We had trouble deciding on the desserts so the waiter recommended we try the dessert set. Everything was very delicious and the service was fabulous. The decor is also very nice, set in an old traditional house (there is even a chicken running around in the front). I would definitely return for the Khao Soi! 3 people with appetizers, 3 mains, desserts plus drinks was about $120CAD.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

unmatched local flavours and spices. Excellent variety of thai food on the menu and some not so common dishes too. Housed in a beautiful building the restaurant is very large and sectioned into many parts. Would highly recommend the yums (thai salads)

Reviewed 20 May 2014

The restaurant is set in two old traditional and beautiful houses. The menu offers a great selection of Thai dishes that go beyond the usual suspects and expand to include dishes from the South and the North of the country alike. I think the outdoor seating area is an even better placement that indoor. Service is good but not stellar (they looked a bit grumpy...).