“Not impressed”

Ranked #174 of 852 Hotels in Bangkok
Tehran, Iran
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

The location is good but finding a parking is a disaster as the Hotel does not have a parking area. We stayed in a corner room it was very average but the bathroom was good. Breakfast was also very poor. I wont go back there.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Korean first
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Very poor breakfast
Some staff not friendly
Only 14 tv channels
No toothbrush
For the rating and the price I expected a much better experience. I stayed 2 nights because I fell sick. Otherwise I would not have stayed a second night.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Hushai1
Sichuan, China
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We were very pleased with this hotel. The staff were nice and helpful. The rooms were clean and new. The pool is good, nothing special but it's fine. There is service from the bar at the pool which is nice. It's very conveniently located between two train stations and a walk to bars, restaurants and Terminal 21.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
tokyo
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I stayed 2 nights at the Hotel Mermaid in March. I had booked a basic studio room, but on arrival, I was given a free upgrade to a larger room on a higher floor. (I had requested a quiet room on a high floor, and the hotel did their best to accommodate me.) The Scandinavian-style room was immaculate, and the furnishings seemed very new. The bed was extremely comfortable as were the pillows (I still miss those pillows!).

But I awoke to a rather warm room at around 3:00 AM, which seemed very odd since I had left the A/C on. I reached to turn on the light and realized that the power was out! I used my cellphone for light and called down to reception, noting that I was in complete darkness. Five minutes later, the power came back on. I returned to bed, relieved; yet, five minutes later, the power went out AGAIN. I immediately phoned reception, and the power returned a few minutes later. But the power went out once AGAIN. This happened no less than 10 times through the night. Clearly, there was a problem with the circuit breaker. The annoying thing was that when the power returned, all of the lights in the room would momentarily turn on, waking me up. It wasn't clear to me if this problem affected only my room or the entire hotel. There was no problem with the power the second night.

Also, when I returned to my hotel room late the second evening, there was no hot water in the shower. I phoned reception, and I was informed that there was a problem with the boiler and no hot water would be available that evening. For a newish four-star hotel, this was quite disappointing....

So, if you're considering staying here, please proceed with caution... it's a new hotel, but they have yet to work out all the kinks....

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank nakanosky
Saint Julian's, Malta
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the mermaid for 2 nights march 2013, I must admit after reading a couple of reviews regarding thai females accompanying western males to the hotel in the evening and being particularly noisy I was starting to think had a booked the right type of hotel for my family, however it turned out I had nothing to worry about whatsoever .
As we have 3 kids we booked a corner suite for ourselves and a standard room for the kids , we were given rooms next to each other with a connecting door. The rooms were beautifully decorated and modern in style , both rooms had mood lighting, cable tv , a mini bar with free water daily, and beautiful bathrooms with rain shower . The corner suite also had a huge bath tub which was just fantastic, especially after a busy day in the wonderful madness that is Bangkok!!! The balcony on the corner suite looked over the city and was particularly nice at night when the city is lit up.
The pool was lovely, it was green in colour while we were there however was still fine to swim and the kids enjoyed splashing around! The colour was due to the pool recently being treated , as its a saltwater pool this can happen I know myself as I used to have a saltwater pool in my garden and this is common after treatment.
We did not use the bar so I can't really comment.
The hotel itself is on a quiet soi just off sukhumvit , asok BTS and terminal 21 mall are about an 8 min walk away so its very easy to explore Bangkok, the infamous soi cowboy is in close proximity but to be honest its only one street and if you chose to stay away you wouldn't even know it was there !!!!
Theres a seven eleven and a family Mart within a couple of mins walk and a number of restaurants and bars all around , we didn't visit any restaurants as there were so many fantastic streetfood sellers around we didn't need to, the best one in particular is a noodle soup seller, you will find him by walking onto sukhumvit, cross the road and pass by the 7/11 he is the next stall after the stall outside the 7/11 and I can guarantee you will not get a better meal anywhere!!! he does pork or chicken noodle soup or pork and chicken with rice that's it, his food is fantastic only 40 bahts for a huge portion and you can even bring your own beer from the 7/11 !!!!
We plan to return to Thailand again later this year and will defiantly book this hotel again when staying in Bangkok.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Kellykeeling
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Rare find, we had some problems with another hotel booking, and landed at this hotel. It was a really rare find, as this hotel is new! Opened in April 2012, and a pool is really an essential when you are in Bangkok! What's more they have this jacuzzi area in the pool as well. After all the shopping, you're so tired you just need a pool to soak away all the tiredness and recharge for the next day! The hotel's welcome drink includes half a pint of beer... The breakfast was pretty simple and it is the same everyday, but if you could be creative, you could eat it differently everyday. Definitely recommend Hotel Mermaid Bangkok for the price! Location is okay. It is in the middle of Asok and Phrom Phong. I usually walk to Asok to take a train to Siam as it is in the direction of Siam, approx 7mins walk. This hotel is good for friends and young couples. Receptionist speak good english and are very friendly. Room service food was pretty good too, quite an array of selection.

Room Tip: I guess if you are a light sleeper, its good to get a room at the end/corner, lesser noise in the mo...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Khon Kaen, Thailand
Reviewed 7 March 2013

We stayed for 1 night at an Corner Suite room. The room is not really big, but the bathroom is huge with an beautiful design bathtub and separate shower.

Staff was a bit unfriendly. The hotel is in an recently renovated condo building and has a bit small swimming pool. Buffet breakfast was a bit simple.

It is only 25m from Sukhumvit road and 5min walking to the Skytrain. But you can hear the Skytrain and traffic in your room (not load, but you can hear it).

Room Tip: Due to the fact that the Corner Rooms have windows all around, they are also very warm.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple