“Magical.”

Temple of Dawn (Wat Arun)
Book In Advance
More Info
US$54.70*
and up
Private Tour: Bangkok including Wat Arun by...
Ranked #4 of 611 things to do in Bangkok
More attraction details
Owner description: This temple is considered to be the most famous and photographed temple in Bangkok, which features a soaring 70-meter-high spire decorated with tiny pieces of colored glass and Chinese porcelain.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Best views of this temple are from a river boat on the Chao Phraya river but you still need to visit the temple to take in the wonderful architecture. Its one of the oldest in Bangkok and on the opposite bank to the more famous temples of Wat Pho and Emerald Buddah. At the right time the sun sets..well go and find out for yourself...won't spoil the surprise.

Write a ReviewReviews (16,617)
All reviews
in 479 reviews
"spire"
in 127 reviews

Reviewed 21 April 2012

This is a nice temple to visit. You can get there by car or river taxi. You can also get a nice work out climbing up the many steep steps. Be careful if you are out of shape because coming down the stairs is as challenging as climbing up. But of all the Temples inBangkok, I prefer this one best. Add to your places to see at least once.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

My Thai girlfriend wanted to go here over Songkran to make her devotions, and seeing as I needed an injection of real Thai culture, I enthusiastically agreed to this. We decided to go by taxi, me as usual at this time being a total coward and pandering to my Songkran hydrophobia, wanted to remain dry. .

We crossed the Chao Phraya river by ferry (3 (or was it 30?) baht per person - a bargain) and were on the opposite bank in no time. A word to the wise though; watch out for the 'guides' (touts) trying to get you to go on an over-priced river trip! Once on the other side, we did the 'ethnic' number (well, for me anyway ... ) and dressed up in traditional Thai costume to pose for photos at 100 baht each. Well worth it, and she looked gorgeous as usual and I - well, I just looked like a total prat, but there you go. I have the photographic evidence of this, but I'm not sharing it with you lot that's for sure :-)

So - the temple; well, I will let you see some photos we took as my clumsy, mere words cannot do it full justice, but seriously folks this place really is something else. More proof, were it needed, of why I love this country so much. The architecture is aesthetic eastern baroque, and almost touches the sky such is the elevation that the principal edifice attains. The carvings that adorn the exterior are intricate, highly artistic, and a fitting testament to the devotion of the Thai people to their religious beliefs.

Now, for those of you who fancy themselves as ace clamberers, climbing up the precipitous steps can be a bit daunting as it's almost like going up a sheer cliff face so steep are they. But, me being me and in reasonable physical shape, myself and my companion got to the top to look out over the river and beyond. Absolutely breathtaking views of old and new Bangkok; ancient building set against the steel and glass fingers pointing upwards to a pure azure sky. Beautiful. All that said, I had to get back down again ...

If you want to know what the real Thailand is all about, then Wat Arun is one of those places to visit. I cannot recommend it highly enough. A treat for the senses and the soul, this temple is truly magnificent. I know that i will go back, that's for sure.

1  Thank DoctorDarkeDerby
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Clean, and nice, very beautiful view of the river and the city, sometimes there are too many people, but it's ok anyway.