“Wonderful hotel in the middle of Bangkok”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #365 of 710 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We picked Hotel California after only reading really good reviews about it. The Hotel is a few minutes walk from the BTS Station Phrom Pong and the Shopping Center the Emporium where you can find a movie theater and a food court. It takes you about 10 minutes to the station SIAM with the train (5 stops) where you can do some more shopping.
Although it is in the middle of everything, the hotel is very quiet. the bed was super comfy and the room big enough for two people.
Our room was lovely and was cleaned everyday. The staff is wonderful and was really helpful with directions etc. When we missed our flight back home, the woman behind the desk made phonecalls and helped us although her shift was already over. We absolutely enjoyed our stay and would come back in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joyce03_11

Reviewed 31 May 2013

I stayed here with my wife last month and could not fault the place at all. Staff were very friendly and bent over backwards to help us. Upon checkout I asked the owner if I could stay in the rooom several hours past checkout time because I had a late flight. The owner allowed me to stay and wouldn't accept any money for the late checkout. Rooms were clean with all the amenities.The hotel is only a short walk to the BTS and restaurants. If you are after a hotel with excellent value for money this is the place to stay. I have travelled to Bangkok on 5 occassions staying at many hotels in the Sukhumvit area. This has been the best by far (in this price range). I will definatley be staying here when I travel back to Thailand in October.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We selected this hotel at the last minute because the hotel we initially booked was too far away from the town and public transport. We booked via agoda and had no troubles checking in. I was concerned at first because I couldn't find a phone number for the hotel to check on my reservation.

The hotel was easy enough to find. It's about 10 minutes walking distance from Phrom Phong BTS station which is just a few stations away from some of the major shopping destinations. Restaurants around the area are limited but you can easily find street food and convenience stores nearby.

The hotel is a no-frills type of hotel with bright colors for the rooms. Our queen-sized bed was comfortable and the AC worked fine. All the basic amenities were available. There's not much of a view but I wasn't bothered because we were out most of the time anyway. The shower could've been better though because the pressure was very low and the hot water was lukewarm at most. There were many TV channels (300+) but only few were in English. There was high speed free WiFi.

The staff were attentive and allowed us to keep our bags in the storage room after we've checked out.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank smellyocheese
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Hotel California is the best hotel in Sukhumvit area, with great prices and very helpful staff. It's located just near a public bus stop and a 5 min walk from the BTS. The prices are the cheapest I've seen in the Sukhumvit area, especially for the quality you get. Super comfortable bed, brand new flat screen TV, refridgerator, amazing hot shower, and icy cold air conditioner. The staff is so helpful with whatever you need, especially Brooke, the new owner. She is really friendly and will help you with anything! It's so hard to find that in Bangkok!! I stayed at Hotel California for nearly a month and really felt at home there!!! I can't wait to get back as soon as possible :)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 31Anonymous
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I travelled to Bangkok along with my wife and teenaged son on 8 May 2013. A week earlier, I had emailed the hotel requesting for confirming reservation of a three-bed family room. When we arrived at the hotel at 4am in the morning, we found a young Thai man, who spoke no English, snoozing at the reception. I politely woke him up and showed our room confirmation on my lap top. The young man spent about 15 minutes looking at the hotel's register but could not find our names. He went and woke up the owner of the hotel: a middle-aged Australian lady, who agreed to provide accommodation for us in two separate rooms until noon when she promised to transfer us to a large room with three beds. Me and my wife went to our room; I kept my baggage and came out to the reception where my son was waiting. The Australian woman at this stage harshly accused me of using four-letter words when speaking to the young Thai receptionist. Of course, a person of my age and academic background would never ever think of being rude to anyone, and using four-letter words, which i never did, was out of the question. The lady warned that if I ever used any vulgar words with her staff she would throw us out of her hotel. I simply struggled to explain my position to her without any success. Finally, the three of us decided to leave the place expecting more trouble. I had been to many redneck places before, but Hotel California, located in Thailand, was a horrible experience to me, and particularly my teenaged son, who had never before come across such behavior from a hotelier.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pris0ner
Brooke J, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2013

This customer had sent an originial gmail booking request (not booking.com or agoda etc), I sent him back 2 prices but he never responded with a confirmed booking. Then turned up at our hotel at 4am and of course the room was full.

I have amazing Thai staff who explained to me that when they advised him this he started yelling four letter words at them and they felt intimidated by this man.

I gave them 2 rooms to sleep in that night and then by 10am had moved lovely willing customers from his room to another room with my staff moving their stuff. I went to his current room to advise him that we'd bent over backwards to have his room ready by 10am the next morning only to be slapped with a we're checking out.

I let him leave with no fuss. Sometimes no matter what you can't make some people happy and this was one of those customers.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Don't be put off by the name or the sign outside !! This is real little gem in the heart of Sukhumvit ... conveniently situated between Phrom Phong & Thong Lor on the BTS, you can find everything here from vintage dresses on sale outside, great lavazzo coffee, bagels, flatscreen tv, air-con, kettle (although would be better without ants inside ;-)) Brooke is the perfect host, friendly, helpful, total "can-do" attitude so hard to find sometimes in Thailand ;-) I will definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone coming to Bangkok, where it can be daunting, this is a real home from home.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Zoë J
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I just checked in to this hotel today and found out that the staff need to know how to run the hospitality business. I booked through latestays.com with a small amount of deposit which I have to pay the rest at the hotel. When I arrived, there is no one to check me in. I have to wait for a while until a man appeared. Then I handed him a copy of the booking that I printed out from my email. He asked, "What is this?" I explained that it is a booking from latestays.com, but he doesn't know what is it. He didn't even know what to do with me since he only knows 2 travel agents, booking.com and agoda. He kept saying he just got back from his days off and didn't know anything much. I again explained about the rate I have to pay, which is not the full price. He still affirmed that I must pay the whole amount. He said to me that the owner, currently on a trip to Laos, told him to do so. Then, I contacted latestays.com to confirm with the hotel about the rate. Quite a waste of time until I get my room. Staff need to be trained about how to deal with different situations. Because I have a clearly stated confirmation letter, he should let me check in a long time ago. My first impression to the hotel -- a bit disappointed.

Room Tip: Do not book through any weird name travel agent because the staff only know booking.com and agoda. Q...