“Service is good. But that's about it”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #346 of 656 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Service is good. But that's about it”
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I arrived late and staying overnight en route to Sukhothai. The hotel is rundown with a smell. Worse, my room was infested by Mosquitoes that bit me in the middle of the night, making me lose sleep. The aircon is not functioning and smelly. The person on duty is really helpful and moved me to another room which was okay. But it was a hassle to move in the middle of the night. It was so noisy - the doors kept shutting even at 2am!

I initially booked two more stays in January and February, but cancelled both stays. It is a shame. It could have been a good value in a good location. Service is not bad too. But the maintenance was awful.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed here from 9th to 12th and extended my stay till 13th. Its the second time I'm there. Overall I love this place. Walk-able distance to Phrom Phong BTS if u're lazy just hop on the bike taxis to this place in Soi 30. The owner was kind enough giving me discount on my extended stays and both of the counter guys are helpful. Of cuz I'll be back here again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I wish I would have a chance to had a good experience like other reviewers but it wasn't my case.
The person en charged of this hostel had no clue of what a good customer service was, he didn't even say hi to us when we arrived or walked by him (like 10 times) He look very unhappy.
We were very frustrated with him, even though we tried really hard to understand his english but we couldnt communicate, maybe this place is ok if you have no complaints at all and you dont care how you are treated.
I'm not blaming him for not speaking english, I just wished his english level were higher to solve problems and not get frustrated with the customer and scream at them. I hope the owner read this review and realize that things without him are not the same.
We tried really hard to get in touch with the owner to let him know about our issues at his hostel but the gentleman in the lobby didn't care about our feelings. He didn't want to give us the owners email or phone number. We also asked him to call the owner but he refused to do it. What are you supposed to do in situations like this, where people do not understand your complaints. His easy solution was to leave the hotel if we weren't happy. We initially planned on staying there for 2 weeks (that's a great business for a small place like this) but we didn't get offer a better price for a longer stay. I'm glad they didn't offer a better rate otherwise we would have been stuck in there for 2 weeks dealing with this guy and the mean housekeeper that we never had a talked with her but she was rude, as well.
Besides the horrible experience, this place needs a major deep cleaning. there is dust in the beds (the mattress was comfy though) but the shower is pretty much next to the toilet so it gets really messy when you shower and you can barely move.
Also, this is not a place if you want to rest, you can hear the sound of everything happening next door. They should provide with earplugs.
Do yourself a favor and find a better place for the same price that you would pay here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Brooke J, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
This customer and his South American girlfriend were the type of customer that want everything for nothing... They were already getting a discounted rate of 800baht per night for a King bed room, but they wanted even lower. When they didn't get it they said they were going to check out, but instead went ahead and made a second booking.... I ask if things were so bad why did you make 2 AGODA bookings???? That just doesn't make sense or correlate back to the comments you made on here and Agoda.... I don't think I need to say anymore!

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2013

A cozy budget hotel on a quiet lane. A new Hotel by the looks of it, everything was new and all mod-cons included. Comfy double bed, air-con, flat screen tv, including a nice clean bathroom. Housekeeping was great

Met the managers assistant Janny who was most obliging in advising the must-see sight seeing tours for the following days

A small walk to the BTS train station, the key to exploring Bangkok

I enjoyed my stay, Thank you :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The hotel was located at Sukhomvit soi 30, only 5 mins walk to BTS. 15 mins walk to soi 38 where there a night stall selling lots of food. I like the mango sticky rice near the famous award winning Pad Thai stall.
The location of the hotel is the reason I pick this hotel. Great price for great location.
The owner very friendly, I left my bag pack when I got back to my country, I email the owner and she keep it for me until my friend went to take it. Thanks Brooke.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Anthony S
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

This is a fab little find off the busy Sukhamvit road. Centrally located to the Sky Train, restaurants, shops, it's a great spot.
Brooke is full of top tips for where to go and how to get around further afield in Thailand. There are lots of tour places nearby where you can pick up leaflets. Brooke made time to sit down with me and share her recommendations! Lovely!
Cheap 'help yourself' cereal/ toast breakfast combo available also. Perfect way to start the day.
Really enjoyed staying here and I'm sure you will too!

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

Amazing value for money!
Great place to stay in Bangkok! The hotel is about 5min walk from the BTS train station, and about 10-15 min walk to great resturaunt areas. The rooms were perfectly clean, made-up every day, aircon, and cable tv with good speed Internet and free tea and coffee. All the little details were provided to make you feel comfortable and at home.
The only drawback was the size of the bed- wasn't quite a double bed so a little small for two but comfortable nonetheless.

• Stayed July 2013