“Right by the river”

Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Banglamphu
“Right by the river”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Authentic Thai food at reasonable prices. Go to River City and get the free shuttle boat with the name of the restaurant on it. Two minutes later you enter Yok Yor, which is a lively place with a huge outdoor terrace right on the river. Don't come too late if you want a good table. It is always busy and mostly tables are occupied by groups of Thais, who come here for the lovely food.

Visited September 2012

• Indonesian first
  • Thai first
USA
“A must go, great food, perfect friendly service”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Fresh fish, great Crab Fried Rice. We spent 110 for two of us and it was well woth it, and if I can manage to go back again, I will.
Menu in English, but very local

• Visited June 2013
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
“Owners Are Selfish”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The staff are great, very friendly. The owners are are tight and take advantage of staff and their best customers. I spend about 10,000 baht a month there, until now. May never go back. Last month, one of their servers forgot to charge for a bottle of wine. Owners took it out of his salary. He told us and I told him to put it in our bill that night. He said he would not get it back. Owners would keep it. I gave him 1000 baht cash. He likely makes only 6000 baht a month, but make a mistake and the rich Thai Elite owners take it from the poor!
Last Saturday, I just sat down and accidentally broke a wine glass. Spent 7000+ baht on dinner and the bill has a slip charging me 50 baht for the glass.
You use a cc and they increase the price 3%. The Thai Elite! Now we know why, pretty sad....

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank timm647
Bangkok, Thailand
“Expensive Seafood with a Pretty View”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Several nights ago I went to Yok Yor with several friends who have eaten there frequently. I have noticed the place for years—directly across from River City and the Royal Orchid Sheraton. Yok Yor has been there for decades so I am shocked nobody has reviewed it yet. It’s a favorite hang-out for high-ranking government types and those with a lot of decorations on their uniforms.

We had reservations, so their shuttle boat picked us up at River City's pier, where we drank Proseco at a cute tapas place while watching the ghastly huge (and very loud) dinner cruises packing the bus tourists in.

Virtually everyone else on the shuttle boat seemed to be tourists, so I was not expecting much. Most of Yok Yor's seating is outdoors, which is extremely pleasant on a balmy evening with the panorama of the city’s brightly lit skyline directly across the river.

Here’s how it works: Order from the menu if you like. But others prefer to go to the side of the restaurant to see all of the seafood on ice and some still swimming in tanks. Choose what you want and they charge you by the weight.

If you are picky about cocktails or wine, take your own. They apparently do not charge for corkage. I asked for a Bombay Martini. No gin. Bourbon? None of that either. The beer selection is lousy. It’s strictly a Black Label kinda place. My host brought several bottles of wine. When we ran out the restaurant did manage to dredge up a bottle of white wine. It was room temperature but worked furiously to chill it in an ice bucket.

The food was mostly good, though not remarkable. My host chose a large squid, which they turned into something like inedible shoe rubber. (Two minutes on the grill are plenty.) The steamed mussels were just OK. I did not sample the sea snails. I honestly do not like fish that much, but my companion chose two whole fish which were breaded and fried. They were absolutely extraordinary. I wish I remembered what they were.

Our service was good because my companions were regular customers. I did not see any of the other diners getting the same degree of attention.

All in all it was a lovely experience until the bill came. The ambiance is relaxing and spectacular. For me, it was a great one-time experience. However, if you have read any of my other reviews you will find terrific seafood in restaurants with terrific ambiance in other restaurants where they do not charge for the view.

• Visited January 2013