“I disagree...their Porcelain variety was incredible”
Review of Narai Phand

Narai Phand
Ranked #216 of 460 Shopping in Bangkok
Boston, MA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“I disagree...their Porcelain variety was incredible”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Perhaps because I cannot compare this store to it's previous incarnations....but I found this store to be incredible.

The wide variety of goods, particularly their porcelain (benjarong) selection, was amazing...more than I'd seen in a month of Thai travels. Hand painted bowls were as little as $20, with a full hand painted tea set for $100....which I thought was very reasonable.

They also had an extensive pewter and assemblage (painted figurines) collection. I admit, the fabric selections were not as strong as what I found on the Sunday night market in Chiang Mai, and they were more expensive. I did not take a look at the jewelry section, as I hand limited time and loaded up on jewelry in Chiang Mai (but I wish I had taken some time to take a look).

I also thought their prices were more than reasonable. Particularly when you consider these are not the mass produced crap you find in the street markets. I also thought their service was very helpful (although bordering on overly solicitous).

Bottom line, I loved the store, and wish I had budgeted more time and funds for this excursion (it was the last day of my 4 week trip). If you are anywhere near the National Stadium, it's worth a visit. If you absolutely cannot visit, they have a limited selection (with higher prices) on their website (www.naraiphand.com)

Visited March 2013
4 Thank navi_jen

• Thai first
Worldwide
324 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 714 helpful votes
“A shadow of its former self.”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Narai Phand claims to have been in business for 70+ years. It used to be in another building, between Gaysorn Plaza and the Arnoma Hotel. There, it was much larger, on multiple floors. It was useful if one wanted to shop for relatively high-end quality Thai crafts, all under one roof, and be willing to pay somewhat more for quality (or get cheaper prices from the bazaar-like shops in the basement).

But that building is now gone, and Narai Phand has now moved into a much smaller space under the Intercontinental Hotel.

I recently checked out the newer location. In short, it seems to maintain relatively high quality and price - but without as convenient a way to compare prices and quality in nearby shops - and to decide if Narai Phand's quality/prices are what you want.

Narai Phand seems to have morphed, for the worse, into just another high-priced gift shop in a 5-star hotel. If you stay at this hotel, or want Narai Phand's somewhat larger selection compared to boutiques in many other such hotels, this may be for you. But if you are looking for value - it may be worth stopping here first, but continuing to look elsewhere for your best match for quality and price.

Visited July 2012