“Food great - but service was Strange….”

Whale's Belly Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #721 of 12,102 Restaurants in Bangkok
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: French, Italian, Seafood, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sukhumvit
Description: The latest fine-dining restaurant in Bangkok by the unique concept “Dine in the Whale’s Belly”, The creative interior design gives way to the under the ocean theme. The fine-dining restaurant faces the 180 degrees panoramic view of Sukhumvit Road by floor-to-ceiling glass panels. And thanks to the Jazz music in the background.Whale's Belly is fine innovative European restaurant & bar, mainly offers the selections of fresh produce from the sea created with delicate method while more premium earthy choices are also available. The technique and presentation are mostly modernist French & Italian, with a slight influence from global cuisine.Whale’s Belly is perfect for anyone who loves to eat excellent food & wine with atmospheric pleasure and impressionable fine-dining experience.
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I have to rate this average based on the experiences below. We had quality issues with us being three of eight total in the restaurant, so I wonder what the selection issues would be like on a full night. It has the feel of an expat managed restaurant where the expat owner/manager is either on extended leave or has left the restaurant in the hands of others and has gone on to open a branch in the next town….I have seen this a lot in asia for western Cuisines where you go to a classy place but something is missing.

Two friends and I met for dinner on friday January 3rd and were the only diners in the restaurant until two other tables were filled….this is not always unusual just two days after new year's eve, but the bar downstairs "Six to Twelve" was packed.

Service was "Strange"...
*dried out mini croissants was the bread served with dinner and all courses. It was as if they bought a bag from Villa market and heated them in a convection oven to serve as bread. This was the only bread served all night.

*A special was announced with a comment that they only had one special. When we went to order, the waiter announced that the special was already gone. When my friend asked for his second choice, the waiter said that there were two of those also, but they were also already gone (to one of the other four diners in the restaurant. This struck us as very strange in that they did announce a special, but they did not brief us on any selections with limited supply.

Food was great - very flavorful, well presented and served in a timely and professional manner. I also greatly enjoyed the house Shiraz. Complementary drinkers, appetizers and a palate cleanser were all served gratis as part of the meal. The courses were enjoyed by all.

A two entree meal with 4 drinks total and one shared desert came out to ~$65USD per person.

So, I can only rate Whale's Belly as average given that the service mis-ques were disturbing and made for a strange evening

Reviewed 26 December 2013

we came here for the catchy name. wanted some more theme about them but how much can you really do dining inside a whales belly. Pinochio was here.

a slow night before the Christmas eve we got great service and a nice table by the window. some welcome drinks (non alcoholic) as we sat, thank you. amuse bouche presented right after ordering and not sure what it was however a well accepted nice compilation thank you again. we started with the Caesar salad and bluefin tuna tar tar. sad to say the Caesar won this battle for us by a far margin.

seconds we both did fois gras, ladies fois gras and scallop and me with the seared fois gras salad. we appreciated both of these starters. mains coming up next but they delivered us a re fresher course of something that worked well cant say what it was but will add a pic.

the miss had the salmon and I went with the mushroom and truffle risotto for mains. she didn't finish hers so I got it the next day and ate it cold out of the ice box. cold fish always taste more fatty for me and I like that. lala my main was a good choice but maybe a little heavy. I finished it easy. enjoyable.

still not ready for the taxi ride home we went for some chocolate fondant, hmmmm not so sure how I feel on this one. more fun to look at then eat. at last a limoncello is served with it as another complimentary item, thanks again and again. a fun restaurant that didn't damage the pocket or we managed to order all the right things. with tax and service it was 5,200 baht with red and white wine by the glass and a bottle water. great night out, nice food, fun atmosphere and fond service.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

The Christmas Menu was magnificent! Every course had a individual taste that doesn't need explanation! I was extremely pleased with the service and the wine that was recommended! The only thing and the key point for me was, that I had just enjoyed a 300 Euro Dinner (12,000 Baht) and was asked if I wanted a cognac, and after being filled so nicely, obviously I said yes. What did I get? A nice Cognac, but was charged 600 Baht for it. I am not the one to cry about 600 Baht,when spending 12,000 Baht for dinner, but it is just good etiquette to give a nice cognac, after a filling 9 course menu, on the house! Sadly the only reason I wont come back.

1  Thank Marvin L
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I do feel bad in writing this review as the service was very good however I cannot say the same about the food.

First off we were seated close to the kitchen which did have a nice curtain to hide it. I started hearing bells ringing and it wasnt just in my head, it was actually coming from the kitchen "ding, ding, ding"!. Turns out that means "orders up"! Just like you get in a diner . . . not something you would expect in a nice restaurant. "Ding"!

Let's talk about the food. We received a very tastey rum (no alcohol) puchwhen we sat down. It tasted very nice however it was equavillent to one sip. Why give it at all?

We ordered caesar salad and a strawberry arugula salad. If you like anchovies and I mean you REALLY like anchovies and I mean ALOT of anchovies then you will like the caesar salar. The strawberry arugula salad was "so/so" nothing to write home about.

After our were finished the waitor did ask if we liked the salads (as we did not eat them). Since I failed ot say I did not like anchovies I cannot blame them,. the waiter promptly said he would change for a new one. I was impressed witt that. We then received what I thought was a sorbet to cleanese the palate however I was pretty shocked (and a tiny bit diguested) to see it was a white foam and some gray ice that was not a fruit. It truly resembled dirty dishwater. Nobody informed us what it was nor do I really want to know.

For an entree we both ordered M'C N Cheese Ravoli. Ding! Entrees come and out came four small ravioli's some with chicken. Chicken? I thought it was a Mac and Cheese ravioli. I am still hungry.

The owner who is very lovely came to apologize about the salads. She offered us complimentary beef broth with black truffel which was very good.

I do have to point out the service was very good.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Whale's Belly is a new restaurant to embrace Bangkok's already thriving fine dining experiences. The only difference: GREAT Food at Afforadble prices. 5-7 Course Meals, with wine for 50 plus dollars each. When I say MEALs I mean the best French Dishes Ihave ever tasted, including in my 30 or so trips to France. anyone on vacation in Bangkok should make this as their one special night out to relax and enjoy a perfect evening.
The only down side: Staff is Friendly and Eager to Please.... not expected at a French Restaurant. I felt out of place and wanted the waiter to argue with me when I asked for a certain wine to go with my meal :)

2  Thank Akram Y