“Enjoyable stay at a funky hotel”
Review of W Bangkok

W Bangkok
Ranked #42 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
“Enjoyable stay at a funky hotel”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We had a great 3 night stay at the W hotel. The interior design of the hotel is great, and in keeping with the W brand, and the staff were wonderful.

As we were checking in close to midnight, the foyer bar had the music turned up in keeping with the party vibe of the hotel, even though there were only a handful of people in the bar. This made checking in quite difficult as talking with the staff over loud music just made us want to get out of there. But once we got to the room, we were happy to see the crazy individual style of the room. There are some very practical features to the room (loads of power points), some feature where they are trying too hard (the tablet that controls everything in the room, including the do not disturb light which makes it difficult to switch off DND as you are leaving the room) and some features which were impractical: limited hanging space in the wardrobe, very little bench space around the vanity sink, and the infamous open toilet.

We had a problem where the mini-bar fridge wasn't cold. Even after one person came to fix it, it wasn't working so we had to ask someone to come again to fix it. Also, there was a loud buzzing noise coming from the back of the TV and I needed to unplug the TV from the wall to stop it. After a night, when I plugged it back in, the buzzing seemed to have stopped.

Breakfast had a good selection of food, and was of a good quality, particularly the pastries. Eggs are ordered and delivered at your table. They make an effort to have "handmade" foods eg greek yoghurt with fruit compote, rather than prepackaged supermarket yoghurts. The only downside is that most of the restaurant is very dark with no natural lighting, and they deliberately covered up some of the windows to make it look dark and trendy rather than opening up the view, even if it is only a streetview. Also, the coffee and tea delivery was a little slow.

The pool wasn't too busy when were visiting, so the limited number of deck chairs wasn't a problem. The hotel didn't feel too busy so I don't know what the pool would be like if it was busier. I guess the staff were good as they didn't push you to buy drinks but at the same time, they didn't offer water unless you asked.

Overall would recommend this hotel as long as you are okay with the loud music and party vibe of W hotels.

2 Thank sxjc
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Hi sxjc,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed the design and ambiance of the hotel.
I will look into all of your comments as all feedback can only help us improve our services but I am happy that you enjoyed a great breakfast at The Kitchen Table.

We look forward to welcoming you back to W Bangkok in the near future.

Nick Heath

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Arabic first

Date of Stay: May 18-20
Reservations: SPG Website
Room Type: Wonderful Room
Loyalty Card: SPG

A short caveat : I was trying to decide between Le Meridien and W Bangkok, Since I had 5000pts about to expire, I could get at least 1 night (plus a little cash) with LM or W Bangkok, then pay for another night. It was a tough call, but I decided to give W Bangkok a try.

Location: The hotel is a good 5 minute walk and a climb (no escalators) up the BTS Chong Nonsi station, it's a stop away from Saladeang and 3 stops to Siam. There is nothing around it, I saw there was a Dean and Deluca in Sathorn Square but they were closed (for the weekend?). There is nothing else around the vicinity, no convenience store or anything.

Check-in: When I got to the hotel, the counter was staffed by someone wearing a white shirt, she went through the motions of checking me in, but we had to wait a little bit more for someone wearing a blazer to do the actual check in...which I thought was weird. Anyway since one night was SPG Points+Cash and the other was an Advance Purchase, I had two confirmation numbers, I emailed the day I made the booking about merging them so I won't have to check out but at the check in the document said I was staying only for a night, it was a good thing I have hard copies of the confirmation, it's really not a big thing, but it shows the level of care and consideration the property gives to their guests.

Room: I found the room a little small...actually very small in fact I was lucky I was by myself or we will have no room for our suitcases. They placed a coffee table and a huge chair in front of the TV, which leaves about a foot or two walkable space, honestly they should have just taken it out to open the room up a bit. The closet space is relatively small and can't fit my suitcase, so we had to put the rack on one side of the bed for it. Imagine if we were 2 occupants? There was also what appears to be a rack beside the bed next to the window...honestly, who wants to sleep beside their suitcase?!?

I liked the crocodile skin detail on the TV rack and Mini bar but since it's black, you see any dust and imperfections. mine looked faded and dirty. I also don't know if the wall backing the bed was supposed to be that way, it look like there were smudges on the entire wall, as compared to the other side of the room. It just looked off... to me. Plus the black ledge...again being black, you will see every dust particle on it...they never cleaned mine.

I like the that the room had wireless controls...it saved a lot of getting up...perfect for any lazy bum. I think this is the only thing other than the mattress that I liked about the room.

Bathroom: Everything is transparent, thankfully they do have a sliding door so the toilet or shower could be enclosed at a given time, similar to the Le Meridien. The size is quite generous, but it could have been made a little bit smaller to allow a bigger room. I also noticed that there were black flecks on the bath tub, on closer inspection they were from the grout on the tiles, either they just finished my room or no one bothered to clean in in the 4 months it's been open.

Breakfast : One of the things that made me decide to go for W Bangkok was because some reviews here said they had an awesome breakfast...Well it was pretty normal to me...I love my breakfast and normally it's eggs, bacon/sausages, mushrooms and tomatoes plus fruits for me. My only concern was their eggs, if they didn't want an egg station and eggs are cooked ala carte, they could given guests a bigger serving, the omelette I got (which I had to wait 15 minutes for) was so small I was wondering if they used quail eggs.

Check-out: I checked out around 630 am, Check-out was simple, no questions about by stay or anything...maybe they were just happy to see me leave.

Overall: Bangkok has a lot of good hotels, I have to agree with some people who wrote about their dissatisfaction about the staff...I totally understand how some people feel when they say that the staff things they are way "cooler" than the guests. They really need to do a lot of things before they expect good reviews about their property. It might look cool and hip, but as they say, "not everything that glitters is gold."

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Keslergo
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Hi Keslergo,

Thank you so much for taking your time to give us your feedback on your recent stay with us at W Bangkok.

We have noted each point you have raised. Location, from BTS Chong Nonsi is only 1 minute walk to Sathorn Square Building which escalators are available. Right next to Sathorn Square Building, there is a bigger Dean & Deluca which is also serve food as well. The average hotel room in Bangkok is 41 sqm. We actually have 8 room types for you to choose from. We have contractor to look into the bathroom as this was the first time happened. We decided not to have an egg station because we want to deliver personalize.

I apologize for any inconveniences that any of these issues caused during your stay. We look forward to exceeding your expectations on your next visits.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 May 2013

In all my travels at Starwood properties this one definitely stands out. I think a lot of this may be to do with the influence of such a young manager which has defiantly reflected upon the entire team at the W Bangkok and WOW is an understatement of the way the place is being managed. the room was even better than i expected from a W hotel. a the 5 star trimmings i especially liked the Bliss bathroom range and Lavazza Coffee machine and pods. The gym was better than my local fitness first!.

The W brand has a reputation for being fun, funky and very cool and this hotel has delivered all these plus much more. The Woobar is more than just a hotel bar, and if i was ever in Bangkok and not staying i would defiantly make the trip out to the bar for the evening. The last W i was at was in Hollywood and i can say that i preferred the bar service in Bangkok. The staff defiantly know what there doing here are very generous and fun to be around, you will most probably see the manager who im sure will introduce himself to you.

The hotel car service is also 5 Start and very affordable for getting around compared to western standards, and i would recommend using it for airport pickup and drop off.

My conclusion is. This is defiantly the place to be in Bangkok especially if on business as its in the middle of it all. but there is still plenty for tourists Vertigo bar is just down the road and a must do and the famous Patpong is less than 5 mins away. This is one of my new favorite hotels in the starwood franchise, and if it wasn't for the SLS in Hollywood it may be my favorite SPG hotel.

Room Tip: hit the bar
1 Thank SPG-41640084489
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Hi SPG-41640084489,

Thank you for your great feedback.
I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stayed and our talents gave you the true W experience and look forward to doing the same on your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your new favorite hotel.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

My wife and I made the decision to visit Bangkok after learning that the W Hotel would be opening in late 2012. The staff, the services and the accommodations of the W property especially impressed us. First, a note on the staff: my wife's bag went missing at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Amarin from the W concierge desk continuously called the airline and airport on our behalf until the bag was discovered. The staff is so hospitable and welcoming to one's needs. They are very engaging with the guests too. Second, a note on the services: we were in Bangkok for four nights and thought our best meals were at the W, whether it be room service or poolside. We were so impressed with the quality and ingredients of the food. Third, a note about the accommodations: we were upgraded after our first night at the hotel. Both our original room and our upgraded room offered spectacular views of the city. The hotel is located in a wonderful area of the city and is convenient for those wishing to travel via taxi or via rail. The pool area is extremely relaxing - just big enough and with such a unique design consistent with W properties. Upon checkout I requested the email address for the general manager, Nick, as I wanted to express our thanks to his staff. Highly recommend this hotel for SPG members or those who are looking for a first-rate experience in a first-rate city.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheLowcountry
Hi TheLowcountry,

Thank you for your great comments and I will be sure to pass your compliment to Amarin who assisted in retrieving your bag. Executive Chef Sarah and her culinary team have worked really hard to create one of the city’s best restaurants and I am glad to see that you really enjoyed it.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

san francisco
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Stayed here for three nights and read other reviews about the W Bangkok before arrival. To be fair, it needs some polishing but all the staffs are very polite and they are trying their best to please clients.

Size of hotel rather small comparing to other locations but it is very convenient located because Skytrain is only three minutes walking distance. I give that a big plus.

I would recommend this hotel.

1 Thank sfscubaman
Hi sfscubaman,

Thank you for your feedback.
I am proud to see that my team looked after you and made you feel comfortable during your stay; I will be sure to pass on your positive comments to them.
We look forward to welcoming you to W Bangkok in the near future.

All the best

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

Ok, we all know what a dirty and disgusting city Bangkok is but once you enter the W you completely forget about it all. Get the Fantasctic Suite for an amazing room. This hotel is quite stunning for such a bummer of a city. And the buffet breakfast is perhaps one of the best I have ever had.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank GlobalSwagger
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Hi GlobalSwagger,

Thank you for the great feedback.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast.

We look forward to your next stay at W Bangkok in the near future.

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 10 May 2013

The W Bangkok gave me a typical W experience - beautiful designed rooms and amazing atmosphere. The place is completely new and is already running on full speed. Beautiful pool on the 6th floor - but the pool lacks some atmosphere, though.

The restaurant "Kitchen Table" is excellent both for breakfast and for dinner. We tried several Thai and Western choices and were amazed. A bit pricey, though.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for the view!
1 Thank fivetonine
Hi fivetonine,

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to see that you liked the design and style of the hotel.

I will pass your compliment to the Chef regarding the excellent of food experience you had.

We look forward to your return so that we can offer you the same experience.