“Clean modern convenient”

Ranked #103 of 852 Hotels in Bangkok
Singapore, Singapore
“Clean modern convenient”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The hotel is extremely convenient as it is situated next to the BTS line right at the end station called National Stadium.Opposite is the famous Mahboonkrong shopping center and down the road is the higher end Discovery ,Siam Center and Paragon.
Checkin lobby is on the 9th floor.This hotel occupies the upper floors of the building whilst its cheaper brand Ibis occupies the lower half.Small comfortable lobby with typically friendly polite Thai staffs.There is a nice outdoor lounge to relax and have a drink and savour the scenery and the heat.
My room was on the 24th floor so it had a magnificent view.Size was on the small side..with twin beds and a lounger.Good planing of space so that you could stow away your big bag under a sizeable baggage area.Usual amenities of closet with iron and safe.
Room was very clean and everything worked well.The aircon worked well.Beds were comfy with nice comforters and soft large pillows.
Bathroom was big.Shower but no bath...had a see through glass partition to the beds but could be shutoff with a sliging wooden door.
Wifi was weak though and dropped very often.but it was free..so cant complain.
Very recommended hotel for price ,location and cleanliness.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Philip L
SimoneHMI2, General Manager at Mercure Bangkok Siam, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear AsianWorldTraveller,
Thank you for sharing your review about your recent stay with us. I am happy to read that your stay was pleasant and that you have no problem to recommend our hotel to others.
Again, many thanks for taking the time to share and I hope that we will welcome you back to the Mercure Bangkok Siam again soon.
Simone Hansen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Perth
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My sister and I stayed here for two nights, nice and close to the shopping, clean enough. The tour advisors gave us the wrong information to a Mauy Thai fight we booked- so not pleased with that aspect!!! The breakfast was included, how ever the food was below average, the bacon was hard you couldn't even cut it with a knife, the fruit platter once out was dived upon so there was limited fruit. I couldn't get near the eggs as there was a line up!! The salad was boring!! Once something was finished it took a long time for more to come out!! The coffee have me the runs and the tea tasted like ash!!! We had better breakfasts at our hotels in patong!!

• Stayed March 2014
SimoneHMI2, General Manager at Mercure Bangkok Siam, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear Bugglelugs,
Thank you for taking time to post your review about your recent stay with us and I am very sorry that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay.
I have passed your feedback on to the chef and tour desk to address and resolve these matters. We have already discussed and are now looking to change our supplier for the bacon in an effort to improve on the quality of the product.
Again, thank you for sharing and I hope that we have another chance to welcome you back in the future.
Finley
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed here during the shut-down of the city, which was right outside our door. No trouble at all, a fairly basic hotel with clean, functional rooms, and a nice bathroom. Suited our stay perfectly, as we were only in Bangkok for a few days of shopping!! This place is perfectly positioned for that!! Right at the sky-train station, and surrounded by all the major malls. The concierge staff were terrific, and cheerful, and the breakfasts were very good.The front of house girls could have been friendlier and more helpful....they seemed to like to chat amongst themselves and any enquiries were met with annoyance at being interrupted! The pool area was very clean, and had amazing views of the city, especially at night. Would reccommend for a short stop-over.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed from 1-5 March 2014. The location of the hotel is great, it is just next to National Stadium BTS. This hotel is very simple and basic, do not expect a huge lobby or welcome drinks like many other Bangkok hotels. Be prepared to bring your luggages to your rooms yourselves.

The room is clean and simple and we tried room service and food was good. However, the breakfast is disappointing so if this is not included in your hotel stay, I recommend you to skip this and eat elsewhere.

The room is quite comfortable except for the pillows. They give you two pillows each but they are very flat and we had neck aches lying on them.

The staff are generally friendly and nice enough when you ask them questions. The main problem we had was with the taxis that are stationed outside the hotel, please do not take them. We wanted to visit Chinatown but the tut tut driver lied to us and said that it was closed and can he drive us to somewhere else for dinner. We realized that it is because he wanted to drive us somewhere where he can get commission for it. I understand that he is trying to make a living but it was really uncomfortable that he lied. When we insisted that we want to go somewhere else, he relented and got us another tut tut, who wanted to charge us 200 baht just to go somewhere 10 mins away. It was an entirely unpleasant experience and I wish the hotel staff had stepped in to help as this is just right outside.

When we checked out and the hotel helped us called a cab to send us to the airport, he didn't helped us negotiate properly with the driver. When we boarded the cab the driver immediately demanded close to 700 baht. We argued and reduced it to 600 baht, which is still a ridiculous price to pay for the trip. But we just let it go.

Be VERY firm in what you want when you speak to the hotel staff, don't leave any chance for guessing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ristymisty
SimoneHMI2, General Manager at Mercure Bangkok Siam, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear ristymisty,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay with us and I am sorry that you were disappointed with some aspects during your stay.
We do have bellman on standby at the ground floor lobby and I am sorry that they were not available to assist you at your time of check in.
I also apologise that some tuk tuk drivers in Bangkok can sometimes take advantage of tourists. Please note that these are not part of the hotel nor endorsed by the hotel.
It also can be a bit difficult with the taxis as well I am afraid and our staff are strictly instructed to assist our guests to arrange for metered taxis to avoid bad experience.
Sadly I myself as an expat in Bangkok also experienced this from time to time, but again sorry that this happened to you.
I hope that we have a chance to welcome you back to the Mercure Bangkok Siam again soon.
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Had a bit of a problem finding the correct exit when I disembarked from the train at National Stadium. Mercure Siam sent an email highlighting the way to get to the hotel via Skytrain (which is very easy to take from BKK airport) but they forgot to mention which exit to take since there's four or five different ways to get out of the station. I ended up at MBK after carrying my huge suitcase through the middle of the square where the protesters were gathered, and only got the correct location from the friendly security guards at the shopping complex. Management, it would be very helpful for your guests if you include the correct exit (W1) in your email.

I requested a quiet room when I checked in and was given a room on the 20th floor across from the Nissan building. This was great since I am a light sleeper and didn't hear that much noise from the protest outside. I enjoyed making hot drinks with the tea and bottled water they provided and sitting on the daybed. The bathroom was clean and had no problems with the water pressure; housekeeping did a great job with tidying my room every day. Oh, but it'd be nice if the hotel could provide a bottle opener, I had to resort to using my house key to open a bottle of Heineken.

The only complaint I would have is that when I requested for a pair of scissors from the front desk, I waited 20 to 30 minutes and never received those pair of scissors. I called front desk to cancel my order and went out and bought a pair myself. That was a bit of an inconvenience but because Mercure is so centrally located, I just walked over to MBK and did some shopping at Siam Square.

Was I the only traveler who enjoyed the atmosphere of the protest? Sure there were blockades but I felt safe walking around at 10pm by myself because of the security. The protesters themselves were very polite and friendly and did their own thing.

Would definitely come back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank nivhana
Dear nivhana,
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us in February.
Since your departure the rally site has been dismantled so the area is back to its usual busy self with easy access to great shopping and attractions near to the hotel.
I am sorry that you had some difficulty to find the correct exit from the BTS and we are waiting on the new signage to be installed by the BTS. I note your idea to add the exit number on the email.
I am very sorry about the miscommunication regarding the scissors and I have informed to the Front Office Manager the situation to better inform the staff.
Great to hear that you will definitely come back and we look forward to it.
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

The room is clean. The room size is good enough for a couple or three. I love the sofa in the room near the window. The staff in the front desk are not too friendly and smiling except for the night shift supervisor Wichariwat (sounds like). He was very polite and accomodating. He remembers my name and greet me.
The gym was spacious. I love that it's overlooking the swimming pool. The swimming pool is nice and it's on the rooftop. The pool bar waitress is very nice (i cant remember her name). One thing though, I ordered bruschetta but the bread was too hard. It might have been overtoasted. We didn't complain coz we're hungry.

I will come back again this month with friends. I like this hotel. It's near everything.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear pinayaquarius,
Thank you for your kind words especially about our great staff and I will be sure to pass on your compliments to Khun Benz who was the Supervisor that you mentioned.
Good to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy our roof top pool, bar and gym which does have great views of the city.
I have noted and informed the chef about the bruschetta and I apologise that it was not up to our usual standard.
Great to hear that you will be coming back later this month and we look forward to seeing you again then.
Ra'anana, Israel
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Once we got to it, the hotel was modern and clean, However, because of the protests, taxis can not get near to the hotel, so we had to wait in the street in a not too pleasant neighbirhood till a porter came from the hotel ( about 10 minutes) and walked us to the hotel ( about 5 minutes to the hotel through protestors, street vendors and police). We arrived in the evening, and the thought of going back out was so unpleasant that we stayed in. The hotel dining room was closed, so we ordered room service: not exactly what we had come on vacation for. There were constant speeches on very loud loudspeakers, but thank goodness our room was on the other side away from the square, and we hear nothing
In the light of day we saw that the escalators up to the sky train were literally outside the hotel, and that was VERY convenient.
The staff were correct in their behavior and no more, and did not go out of their way at all to compensate for the unpleasantness outside. Of course it was not their fault, but their attitude was that it was not at all their problem.
Going to places not on the Skytrain route was not convenient: if there were no protests, we would just have taken a taxi to those areas.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear linda43580,
Thank you for posting your review about your recent stay with us and I am sorry that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay.
I understand the difficult situation during your dates of stay with the rally site causing some access problems, and we did send an email to all our guests to inform them of the situation and how to contact and access the hotel.
Our restaurant is open until 10pm daily and I am sorry if it was closed after these hours, but as you mention we do have room service that is available 24 hours.
Again, I am sorry for the areas that are out of our control, however since the 2 March the rally site has been dismantled and the area around the hotel is back to normal with easy access to the hotel.
I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back under different circumstances.