“Perfect stay”

Mercure Bangkok Siam
Ranked #96 of 894 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
SebastienHMI2, Manager at Mercure Bangkok Siam, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Write a ReviewReviews (2,323)

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights as a stopover to Phuket. We had never been to Bangkok before and this hotel was a great base to help us discover the city. Checkin was a breeze and the staff very friendly and curteous. Assisted to our room, which we found to be small but thats what you pay for. Great views of the city over looking MBK, BTS system and local roads.
We had breakfast in the hotel each day and found the selection quite varied. Had read reviews on tasteless foods and no variety, they are wrong. Had dinner in the restaurant one night and again found the meals to be excellent quality. Staff were always helpful and although some language barriers, we are in a foreign country!
Access within the hotel was slow as you have to catch a separate lift from lobby and restaurant to rooms.
All in all we enjoyed our stay. Even though we as Australians are a minority in Thailand, we had no trouble at all. Enjoy your stay here........we did.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Steven H

Dear Familyhay,

Thank you for posting this wonderful comment on Tripadvisor about your 3 nights stay within our establishment Mercure Siam.

I am glad that we could be of some help, our location is indeed strategic when it comes to visit the city.

Our front office teams are doing the necessary to check you in and out quickly while providing you with practical advice about your stay and displacement in the capital, to make you feel comfortable from your arrival until your departure is a must.

It is wonderful to know that you have appreciated the delicacy and the variety of our breakfast as well as our “a la carte” menu and I am relieved that you have tried it yourself and then give us back the most objective comment.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again in a near future.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The room was reasonable sized, no bathtub, still new and clean yet. Big window, spectacular view over the National Stadium and the city. Perfect location, right in front of National Stadium BTS and right opposite to MBK shopping mall.
The front desk lady receptionist neither greet nor wearing any smile but the house-keeping lay did Perhaps that is the Mercure standard?
Drinks were cheap at Happy Hour at the bar.
Reasonable rate. Will come back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
SebastienHMI2, Manager at Mercure Bangkok Siam, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear whohow,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us at Mercure Siam.
I am happy to read that you were satisfied with the room size and cleanliness, it is essential for us to provide a healthy, modern and pleasant environment to our guest.

We usually receive positive comments about our staff friendliness regardless of the department they are working at, may it be housekeeping or front office. Even if mood changes could happen to any of us it is our duty to display a cheerful smile and to make you feel comfortable and welcomed in all circumstances.

Indeed, at Mercure lobby bar, you will be able to enjoy the happy hour time starting from 4 pm to 8 pm. Over there you can order beers, cocktails and mocktail for only 99 Thai baths (Approximately 3 USD).

Thank you for sharing your point of view, we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Bangkok.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

To avoid a horrifying Bangkok taxi ordeal to the airport from the hotel last week, i made a request to the hotel's porter to specifically help me call for a metered taxi to the airport. I repeated my request that i only wanted to get on a metered taxi and insisted no less than 3 times, and before i got in the taxi i requested another time to the porter to make sure i get in a metered taxi. Instead of translating and making sure with the taxi driver that i get on a taxi that runs on meter, he was in so much of a hurry, he placed my luggage instantly into the taxi and hurried us into the taxi. Once in the taxi i insisted again, to be on meter. The taxi driver kept quiet until on the road and then threatened (and actually stopped by the highway) to throw us by the highway if we do not compromise to pay the rate he demanded. The taxi number is F8379. This bad experience could have been avoided if the hotel porter actually took my request seriously and affirmed it for us before putting us into the taxi, specially when i have emphasized this so many times at the hotel. I have stayed in couple of hotels in Bangkok, so far all other porters did a good job making sure i get in a metered taxi by requesting from the taxi driver again before putting us in the taxi, small gesture but big impact. But from Mercure Bangkok Siam Sq, please dont depend or rely on the porter to do that for you else you may probably risk the same bad experience we had.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Travelasia_2000,

I am really sorry to read about the misadventure that you have experienced on your way to the airport.

The voice of our customers is critical in maintaining our high standards and I am sorry to read that you experienced some problems with the staff service and behaviour.

I have passed your feedback on to our Front Office Manager to review with the bellman teams, which was helping you carry your luggage.

Please accept my apologies regarding this matter, usually our bellman team is telling systematically to the taxi to turn on the meter, but it is then the driver's initiative to do it or not, it also happens that some of the driver agreed to open the meter and close it afterward.

We can provide a car for you by making a request to our tour desk, in that way we are responsible for your safety and comfort.

We have checked the car plate of the taxi driver mentioned earlier and according to our hotel policies we will not accept this taxi number anymore to ensure our guests satisfaction, we have also informed the associated taxi company to take the necessary measures based on the driver behaviour. Our security service and bellman keep the record of the unfair drivers and always inform the companies concerned.

That matter aside I hope that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel. We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Dear Mrs Simone Hansen,

Over the years, I have had many pleasurable stays at your fine hotel in Mercure Bangkok Siam. However, my visit on 1 May – 5 May 2014 (Room Number 2203 & 2219) was unfortunately a horrible exception. I am certain that once you are aware of what transpired, you will be as appalled as I am.

Here’s what happened:

Total 5 of us staying in the hotel and we got the welcome drinks voucher upon check in. We used it on the last nights of ours stayed to enjoyed the group conversation at the comfortable sky bar. I had order 4 beers and 1 extra glass. We were served by F&B staff name Ms Wavila and she provided us the warm welcome smiles. We bought some snacks from the street markets and she did introduce on the snacks we had. Half and hours later, I went to the bar requested for a glass of ice due to the beer is not cold enough and was served by a guy name Ball. Another half and hours later, Mr Ball approached us by warning “No outside food and drinks” in unprofessional attitude. We do keep all the snacks. Apparently the girl passes by and I asked her, we can’t have some local snacks here? She replies, snacks are okay but not heavy food. I and my friends continue on the conversation and suddenly that Mr Ball approached us again he said “either you keep the food if not I’m going to charge you on that or else I will call my manager” and he walked away. I felt that Mr Ball is threatening us. After I’ve finished my beer, I went to the front desk and I asked one of the girls on duty that night. “Is the front desk manager on duty and F&B manager on duty is the same?” She was surprise and asked me what is happening, I told her that I felt that we all threatening by Mr Ball. While I’m telling the girl what is happening, that Mr Ball came over to interrupt the conversation in Thai with that front desk girl. He insists that he did nothing wrong and the front desk kept apologies. I told the front desk girl “no point that you kept apologize and Mr Ball don’t think he is wrong in the first place”. We do notice that others guest seating nearby us also having outside drinks & food and why not he approached them? Is that we are Asian & they are western people? I am insisted that Mr Ball come to apologies with all of us. Ms Wanila advised Mr Ball apologies to us on what he has done. He did came to us apologies but end up is became an argument.

As you can imagine, the experience fell far short of my expectations & considering the great deal of money I have spent with your company during my multiple visits. I also frequently recommend your accommodations to other travelers.

I am not certain at this time if I will ever feel comfortable returning to your establishment. To be honest, it depends on your response to my concerns.

Joanne Chew

3  Thank narakjo

Dear Narakjo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feelings concerning your recent stay with us.

There seems to have been several missteps from our part that are not on par with the quality of service we always aim to offer to our guests.

From the situation you explain below there was certainly a lack of hospitality, professionalism and communication from our side. On behalf of all my team I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that occurred.

After reading your comment, I'm really disappointed and rest assured that your experience has served as a case study for our team in the effectiveness of their communication as well as handling simple situation.

Both manager for the Front Office and Food and Beverage have been made aware of the situation and have immediately implemented supplemental training in an effort to avoid such reoccurrence.

In spite of this situation I trust that this unfortunate experience will not deter you from staying with us again. I apologize foremost and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Was there over the weekend and stayed for 4 days. I always stay in chong nonsi area as I think the location is excellent. Mercure Siam isn't too bad when it comes to location. It is right next to the National Stadium BTS and near the shopping belt of MBK. If u take a taxi from the airport, you have to tell the driver to go to Ibis hotel instead as Mercure is lesser known. Ibis and Mercure are just side by side. The lounge was a nice place to chill but the food and drinks were just average. Otherwise, it is a decent hotel for short stay and not much to rave about.

1  Thank Fuzzbuzz_sg
SebastienHMI2, Manager at Mercure Bangkok Siam, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Fuzzbuzz_sg,

Thank you for taking the time to share a comment about your recent stay at Mercure Siam.

I am happy to read that you were satisfied concerning our location, from what I see you are used to traveling to Thailand, and I am glad that you were willing to change your habits and move to another area in Bangkok.

I'm sorry that you were a bit disappointed concerning the provided food. For your information and following our guests concerns we have already developed the range of food over there. You can now enjoy an English breakfast (omelet, bacon, sausage...) as well as an assortment of cakes and pastries, which I hope, will satisfy you. I just regret that this change didn't happen during the stay you have spent with us.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
SebastienHMI2, Manager at Mercure Bangkok Siam, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014