“Passing through Bangkok”

Ranked #54 of 667 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Auckland
“Passing through Bangkok”
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Our first visit to Thailand and we decided to see Bangkok. Friends recommended the Khao San area as it has a great vibe and many sights to see..

This was the best accommodation to make the lost of our trip. Located only 50m from the end of Khao San rd but no noise from it. Right on top of a great restaurant and lots of market stalls and food places very close.

Rooms were a great size, most comfortable beds and pillows with crisp white sheets, great after a long hot day!

Roof top bar and pool which was always empty so we had the place to ourselves. Another oasis away from the hustle bustle of the city

Bathrooms nice and clean and come with soaps/shampoo etc

Staff always friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was included and you could choose 2 mains, plus tea/coffee and a juice. had lots of options from American style bacon & eggs to pancakes to noodles. We tried everything and it was all excellent. Right next to a Starbucks as well for those who want a taste of familiarity.

Overall excellent accommodation, great location, amenities, service.
Would 100% stay again!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights. Very clean and spacious. Pool and bar major plus! Live music and restaurant at night.
We enjoyed just spending time at the hotel relaxing, and getting away from the noisy smelly Khao San Road.

• Stayed December 2013
Cork
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We had provisionally booked this hotel for 3 nights but ended up staying for four. Centrally located within walking distance of the Grand Palace, Wat pho and Kho San Road to name a few of Bangkok's star attractions. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are charming and spacious in a traditional Thai style. Bathroom was large and shower was great. It is quite at night despite being a minute from the lively Kho San road. Only fault I could find is that it is pricy in comparison to other Hotels nearby.

Room Tip: A nice hotel if you're just getting off a Long Haul flight
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

My partner and I decided to have a change from our usual area of town and stayed at Ban Chart based on a recommendation from a colleague. He rated the hotel highly apart from one bad experience that he didn't think would be repeated. It was exactly as he described it. The rooms are stylishly decorated, the bathrooms are very well equipped with good quality solid fixtures and fittings, although the shower is rather weak, and an excellent provision of shower gels, shampoos etc that belong in a much more expensive hotel. There is a little bit of noise at night but really not enough to disturb you unless you're a very light sleeper. The lack of curtains over the window in the door was a little annoying because it meant I woke when it got light but none of these very minor issues would have stopped me returning to this well equipped hotel.

The BIG NEGATIVE. My partner is Thai and when checking in I asked if she needed to write her name and details as well as mine, I had been the one to make the booking, the staff said this was not necessary. We went out in the evening and when I stayed out to watch the end of the football my partner returned to the room. She asked for the key and was refused it. She was told her name was not listed and giving my name was insufficient. Unfortunately her phone battery was dead and this meant she had to trek back across town to where I was so we could go back together. The following morning when checking out I asked to speak to the manager but he/she was not available.

Or experiences were very similar to my colleagues, in his case it was his partner, who is also Thai, who had checked in first but again when she returned to the hotel without him she was denied entry. He too asked to speak to the manager and was not able to.

The repetition of this experience leads me to conclude that this is a policy, discriminating against Thai women, rather than isolated incidents. You hear of this in cheap guesthouses but not when paying almost £50 per night. Since I had specifically asked the question on check in, to avoid the problem my friend faced, there can be no excuse.

I am extremely disappointed and will not use the hotel again. My partner found the experience quite humiliating and felt she was being treated like a prostitute. I will warn the many friends who ask me for advice on where to stay in Bangkok that this is one to avoid.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex C
Baan Chart K, Manager at Baan Chart, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear Alex C,

First of all, thank you very much for your review detailing your experience while staying with us.
We regret and feel sorry that our services did not meet your expectation.

In particular, we are alarmed by your information indicating about discriminating against Thai women, Please be informed that this is absolutely against the hotel’s policy and the management does not accept such deviation from our standard procedure.

And as investigated your case, we have found a copy of your partner’s id in our profile, it might be some misunderstanding between our staff and your partner.

Therefore, we would highly appreciate more information on this particular incident (description or name of staff). Kindly send the information to info@baanchart.com We thank you for your kind cooperation as we would like to make certain that such incident will never be repeated in the future.

All your valuable comments have been addressed with our team and taken very seriously.
We appreciate you bringing some important aspects of the hotel to our attention.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences caused. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and show our improvements.

Laceby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This hotel is in the centre of the Khaosan district, literally 2 minutes from each of the '3' busy streets and opposite the taxi/tuk-tuk rank. It has the advantage of being very quiet at night, a rarity for the area. The staff are pleasant and helpful. It is on the more expensive side at about Baht 1750 per night. The hotel has excellently fitted out rooms although a little on the small side. The only downside is the lack of a hot water tap, requiring the wet shaver to have to stretch the shower head around the cubicle door into the sink. The TV only had Thai channels, a bit of a nuisance for anyone wanting to catch up with the news in English.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
england
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I have stayed at Baan Chart on my last two visits to bangkok and next time I'm in bangkok I'll stay again, both the owner and staff are extremely helpful and friendly, the hotel is very clean, tidy and modern, and is perfect if your looking to stay near khaosan road as it is about 1 min walk from khaosan, which is great because you don't get the noise from the bars and clubs etc... Personally I couldn't fault Baan Chart but if I had to think of some negative things that other people may not like, all I can think of is that the hotel is opposite a main road which some customers may not like the noise of the traffic (this did not bother me as the noise wasn't too loud) and the only other thing I can think of is that some people may find the rooms a bit small, personally I liked the size of the rooms, for me they are not too small and not too big (both of these things didn't bother me at all, I'm just trying to find some negative comments ) on the whole this is a great place to stay, I've recommended it a couple of times in the past, and no one has complained, I'll be staying again in the future..

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank danny_c_84England
Baan Chart K, Manager at Baan Chart, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear danny_c_84England,

Thank you very much for your time sharing your experiences and being very kind recommended us to Tripadvisor,com. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and be sure that we will share your compliments with our staff.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We were so disappointed of Baan Chart Hotel for many reasons:
- Too noisy. Door of guest room are not suitable at all for outdoor corridor. Same as a simple wood door of closet, the noise comes true directly! We had asked to change for rooms more in the back. The reception said to us that they were full and they cannot. So we said to them, that we had just checked on AGODA and saw rooms available...! So they were a little bit uncomfortable and we were able to change for one room only.
- We had booked 2 rooms for 3 nights by AGODA and wanted to cancel the 2 second nights because of the noise. The reception was totally not helpfully and even arrogant saying that they can do nothing for us. And it was not possible to talk to management team. So we have no choice to stay and not able to sleep for 3 nights.
- We felt that it was big effort for staff to serve breakfast (no smile)with limited menu: only fried meals, no fruits or yogurt.
- And we asked the reception to call a taxi with meters for airport. And on the way to airport, the taxi driver told us that he won't put meters as he had a "deal/agreement" with the bellman of the Baan Chart !! So we had to pay a fixed amount without our agreement !

As we go often to BKK and we are in businesses hotel in Vietnam, we love to try new hotel boutiques. But, we will never go back to Baan Chart and for sure we won't recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gildas F
Baan Chart K, Manager at Baan Chart, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We regret and feel sorry that our services and facilities did not meet your expectation.
In particular, we are alarmed by your information indicating about taxi over charged. Please be informed that this is absolutely against the hotel’s policy and the management does not accept such deviation from our standard procedure. Therefore, we would highly appreciate more information on this particular incident (description or name of staff). Kindly send the information to info@baanchart.com