“A nice hotel,But suffers from exterior noise” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Continent Hotel Bangkok by Compass Hospitality

The Continent Hotel Bangkok by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #99 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Chalais, France
“A nice hotel,But suffers from exterior noise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

This is a nice hotel,nice staff,good food,lovely decor. The hotel is well appointed and set in a good location with Asoke BST just 200 metres away, BUT even on the 27th Floor the noise from ground level including the BST (Sky Train) is unbelievable, this continues right through the night,even with the curtains shut the noise and vibration are very noticable.
In fairness to the Hotel staff they offerred to move me, but a swift recky to another room on another floor soon told me that this would make no differrence at all, so I stayed put. This and the overly loud background music (Most of which is banal Techno crap more fitting to a night club than a hotel) is the only other annoyance.
The room size are under for an Asian hotel,quite small more like a European hotel.
Some staff are ok but most tend to make it up as they go along,it seems the manager and Fairy were the only two that were switched on.

Room Tip: For the same rate you could find a much better hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMThecontinenthotel, General Manager at The Continent Hotel Bangkok by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Paul E,
Greetings from The Continent Hotel, Bangkok!
Thanks for your kind review.
Sorry for the bad experience that you had with us during your stay.
Your room has been fixed and no noise anymore. For sure, higher floor is better due to Bangkok is very busy city.
Lobby and corridor music will be turned off at 11pm and ON at 11am and it will be very well controlled to avoid noise or any inconvenient for our guests.
Thanks for your valuable comments and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Best regards,
Zaki Baz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Gamba, Gabn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Perfectly adequate, but scope for improvement; manager needs to intervene for some easy fixes.

Continent Hotel in Bangkok is well located at the Asoke intersection right next to Sky Train access stairs. Staff are friendly and motivated. Décor is modern and tasteful, but I suspect it will quickly date.

Rooms are small but well appointed. Lights switches are clearly labeled and easy to locate. Curtains are proper blackout but I struggled to get my room dark though; the room and bathroom night lights, flashing phone charge indicator, red thermostat and iPod clock radio all needed extinguishing. Neither my iPod classic nor iPhone 4 would work on the dock. Rooms feature a marvelous large TV, but the signal is reduced so the image is not sharp. A listing of the TV stations would be useful.

Room 1702 shower smelt slightly moldy and the water pressure, while adequate, didn’t deliver the luxurious hot shower I’d have preferred. Towels are plentiful, thick and high quality.

The mini bar coffee facility and bathroom amenity draws were helpfully left ajar on arrival. Locating them would be a challenge otherwise.

Despite three attempts and clearly offering to pay, I was defeated in having a morning newspaper delivered to my room both mornings I was there. Ridiculous for a hotel so well located for business customers.

Breakfast is typical hotel buffet style, the venue is the impressive main restaurant with floor to ceiling windows but the loud jazz music seems inappropriate at breakfast time and somewhat spoilt my enjoyment. Like hotels the world over the toaster is awful, after passing my bread through two excruciatingly slow cycles, rescuing it twice from the slide it was still pale and completely untoasted. Why not just have the staff bring us toast? Oh, and the yoghurt is completely lost amongst the salad dressings. All effortless things to solve. Hint, try sitting in the small alcove in the corner.

There are only two guest elevators, so allow time for them to arrive. Card access is required and guests seem to struggle with the confusing button layout for selecting the floors. Outside guests are welcome to the restaurants and bar.

Free throttled Internet is a welcome touch and faster access is available for a fee.

In balance a hotel worth considering for your Bangkok stay, but there is so much choice here. Intervention from the manager could make the hotel even better and help differentiate it from the competitors.

Continent team, let us know here when you have attended to these minor issues and I’ll try you again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Standard room size and may not be big enough for guests who are shopaholics...they may need to manage the room space accordingly. Superb location, right next to Asok BTS and a few minutes walk to Terminal 21 mall. As for bathroom toiletries (shower gel, shampoo), do bring your own. Generally a clean and tidy hotel with friendly staff! Will stay there again the next round.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

My first experience with this hotel in Bangkok. Very impressed by the hotel staff and hotel rooms.

Staffs like Ice, Gy, Eve, Faii and Mac are well commended for their good altitude, friendliness and being helpful.

I will defintely recommend this to others and will choose this hotel for my future stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank CALM888
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

We booked for an 8 night stay in Bangkok, we are Thai ourselves. I will make these as point form to make it clear.

1. Upon our landing at Suvannabhum airport, I called to reception in seeking for the best route for the taxi. Responses over the phone were "I don't know", and when I asked for confirmation on the exact street no, the response was "23 Sukhumvit road". I couldn't hear him as he was mumbling so I had to ask again and the response was more of a sarcastic and ignorant tone "23 Sukhumvit road". Note again we are Thai.

2. Upon arrival at the front desk on 01/10/2013, I confirmed on our requested highest floor possible & non-smoking, I got the response as a nod of the head rather than yes/no.

3. The front desk staff gave me a sheet of paper to sign confirming the stay, the paper written room '2605' which is for level 26. We were given level 25 but as shown on the keycard. When I queried about this error, again I was given the silent but rather arrogant look, he then simply use the pen and crossed out the room number and looked at me. At this point me and my wife were already not satisfied with the service being the 'reception/customer service front desk'.

4. On 02/10/2013 (basically the following day), both our key cards were not active for some reason, the lift took so the restaurant on level 35 and the restaurant manager was kind enough to take us down to the reception and advise of the issues. The restaurant manager also said 'apologized' to us both.

5. At this time, I noticed couple of staffs at the front desk was chatting and giggling which I find a bit unprofessional for a 5 star hotel. Once I walked over to the counter, the group breakaway and left with a girl who was just about to pretending to be busy??

6. They fixed it by inserting both of our keycards to the machine, when I asked 'what's wrong with our cards?', the response was 'I don't know'. My wife also asked 'will this happened again?', there was on response..

7. Another one, we also received a random call looking for 'hooker'?? the call came through our room's phone. I hung up since.

8. Last night we brought our friend over for a chat and whilst I walked in I was asked for the keycard and not a friendly look at all..

We are still staying here and do not want to think about what we'll find out next.

We never received any smiles or greetings when we enter the hotel.

The maid & restaurant staffs were nice. Front desk staffs require extensive training on how to perform at least to the competitive level being a 5 star hotel.

We are on our first night and already not happy at all.

Had we not paid for the hotel we would have moved out.

I declare all above statements are true and correct and hope the management gets this feedback and check through your CCTV to support this matter.

Regards,
Nara Barameetham

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank em7nara
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Just nice hotel as the location was perfect..straight from the airport to the hotel in no time..But found the reception crowded and the staff not well trained..Took some time to check in but they were polite and helpful..Rooms were neat and chic , bathroom good ..went to the axis bar but found it a bit closed..All in all a nice hotel in Bangkok with good location but we have had a better stay..

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BD R
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

It is just two mins walk thru the flyover from ASOK BTS station. Shopping mall Terminal 21 and some cozy spa is just nearby. We received warm and nice service from front desk, concierge and F&B staffs. Thanks for the upgrade to continent room so i could enjoy the bath every night in my birthday trip. Great variety of choice in buffet breakfast and nice atmosphere to enjoy my breakfast. The swimming pool on the roof is nice but too small.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends