“Disappointed, upset and embarrassed!!”

The Continent Hotel Bangkok by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #119 of 871 Hotels in Bangkok
Melaka, Malaysia
“Disappointed, upset and embarrassed!!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I am very disappointed with my stay at The Continent Hotel for 4 nights. I changed my room type to Continent Room upon check in with an additional 400 baht per room night which I think it might be worthy with the Sky benefits and privileges that included in the room rate as I want to have a very enjoyable and relaxing vacation on my first trip to Bangkok. However, things went wrong on my first night to enjoy the Sky Benefits at the Axis & Spin. First of all, I have to remind the servers about my room rate does include the drinks and snacks on the house. However, when I requested Perrier water, the server told me it doesn't include in the benefits package. So, I switched to club soda, instead. After the snack, I had latte on the house, which is nice because I love coffee! On my 2nd night, I was at the Compass at the lobby. Again, I informed the server about my room's benefits package. She served me ice latte and Perrier water on the house without further questions. Unfortunately, in the evening on the same day, I stopped by Axis & Spin to order a cup of hot chocolate, the bartender told me it doesn't include in the benefits package, so he charged me. I wasn't happy but didn't want to question further(they took out from the bill during my check out). On my 3rd night, again, I visited Axis & Spin to have some snack and drinks before my dinner. I asked for latte after snack, but this person with suit replied me it doesn't include in the benefits package, if I want, he will have to charge me, so I quit! I am so confused why they allowed me to have latte on my 1st night but not on my 3rd night. Before my check out, I had sandwich and coffee, again, when I requested for Perrier water, the server told me it is chargeable. So, I quit it! It is not about the money but the principles that the hotel set. If the hotel mentioned in the Benefits Package that guests are entitled for soft drinks/non-alcoholic drinks at all outlets, and snacks, soft drinks & cocktails from 5pm~8pm.. they should mean it fully. In addition, all servers seem to be told differently with the terms and conditions of the drinks menu. The same drink, Perrier water and ice latte, are acceptable and also non-acceptable in the same outlet. I don't drink alcohol. I had Mojito virgin on my 3rd night, but just 1 glass only. The hotel should understand that alcohol costs more expensive than soft drinks or non-alcoholic beverages in general, and why didn't they include a consistent drinks menu in the Benefits Package? I am not happy at all that I paid so much and I didn't get the privilege to enjoy the benefits at all. The receptionists should have issued a special card with benefits privilege in order to allow guests to show to the servers whichever outlets they visit. All outlets should also put up a notice board near the entrance to welcome guests who are entitled for the benefits to enjoy their quality time with complimentary drinks. How much can a guest drink even though is free flow on the house? Be generous with your guests if you REALLY want to make them feel important because they pay so much to stay at your hotel!!! More importantly, I notice every time I consume the snacks and drinks, they open a check. They don't charge me for the food, but the service tax and VAT that on the FOC food I consumed. I don't understand the system at all.. I am upset, disappointed and embarrassed with the overall service. Unlike The Starwood Hotels club room's benefits, once you access the lounge, everyone who works there is happy to serve you any drinks or snacks that are available upon your requests without further questions.. If The Continent Bangkok doesn't have extra space to accommodate guests to enjoy Sky Benefits and Privileges; at least, they should do their best to accommodate their guests' needs with a more consistent menu that do not confuse their staff at all.. I will definitely compare The Continent Hotel Bangkok with other 5 star hotels if they claim themselves as 5 star level. I've stayed in the club rooms in The Westin Hotel and Sheraton Hotels in Singapore and Malaysia, I absolutely understand what 5 star service is up to. I really try to think as many reasons as I can for all the unfortunate events happened during my stay, I can only admit I am in bad luck overall!!

1 Thank Yoke Huey G
GMThecontinenthotel, General Manager at The Continent Hotel Bangkok by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Yoke Huey G
Greetings from The Continent Hotel, Bangkok!
Thanks for your kind review!

Sorry to hear about yours inconvenient with the hotel Sky Rooms benefits.

Normally our guests can book Continent or Sky room from the hotel website or they can upgrade upon check-in (Subject to room availability).

Upon your check-in with your boyfriend, the front-office staff had upgraded your room to Continent room (which is the highest room category at the hotel).

Front office also informs our guests with all benefits that we offer, plus a printed list with all benefits is also provided for guests.
The benefits are incl:

Free daily international breakfast for 2 persons at the Medinii Restaurant.

Daily seasonal fruits basket.
Turn down service.
Complimentary Local calls within Bangkok city only.
Complimentary soft drinks from 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM at all the hotel outlets.
Complimentary drinks from 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM at the Axis and Spin INCL:
Beers
Cocktails
wine
Complimentary (Premium snacks) from 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM at the Axis and Spin
Free WIFI
Early C-in and Late C-out (Subject to Availability).
Daily News paper
Complimentary Laundry foe 2 PCs per day "not incl dry-clean.

At every outlet in the hotel we provide a drinks list that Sky and Continent rooms can order.
All soft drinks are available the whole day for our guests and by next month we’ll also offer free minibar to make it more enjoyable for our guests.

Apologies again if we could meet your expectation and we look forward to seeing you again at The Continent Hotel.

Regards,
Zaki Baz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Excellent value property with slightly smallish but extremely well designed rooms which are modern and tastefully furnished. Location in Asoke is near unbeatable for public transport access. The rest of the property is in great condition and well designed. Pricing on this property was very competitive and is most definitely worth a look in if you need to be around this area in Bangkok.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The rooms are not big, but they are very well layed out, with nice bottom-to-ceiling window, see-through from the shower to the bed (can be easily closed for privacy too) so you can even have a nice view while taking a shower.
The rooms look modern, beds, bathroom and aircondition are very good.

The roof-top swimming pool has a great view as well. There's not that much seats around the swimming pool, but at the time I was there there were not many people using the swimming pool at the same time anyway.

The bar/restaurant has a great view on the city and the swimming pool as well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I searched other similar hotels in the area, but kept coming back to look at the Continent Hotel. I was not disappointed with my stay. Have stayed at other Compass Hospitality properties before but this was the best by far. Well set out rooms, great view from the Continent Room, solid breakfast, and excellent front desk service. Each floor has a personal and cosy feeling with only 7 rooms per floor. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Go for the Sky Privaleges package which comes with booking a Continent Room. The Continent Rooms hav...

1 Thank James D
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

After travelling for three weeks thru Europe it was a delight to arrive at such a luxurious and comfortable hotel at such a reasonable cost. Breakfast was great and the service was also very good. Staff at reception were very helpful. Close to all the main shopping areas and a short BTS ride to MBK! Would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed July 2014
Singapore River, Singapore
Reviewed 18 July 2014

i am business traveller often stay in Continent Hotel.
I'm always feeling welcome by the staff.
i remember counter staff GY, Shaky and Amey, all are great people that keeps me wanting to come back to stay.

-DANIEL

Room Tip: ask for high floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Paris, France
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I went there 2 times since last year.
The place is located in Sukhumvit, very near from everything : shops, BTS and MRT, bars, etc.
The hotel is very good, not too expensive, and has a bar and a swimming-pool in the upper floors (30+) from where you have a wonderful view of the town !

I have to mention that the staff is very kind and very professional. Especially a little lady at front desk called Angie, who has always been very kind, smiling and helpful !
Thanks to her.
I will go back there and nowhere else !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family