“Drinks, Dining and Dancers with a View”

Shangri La Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #6,195 of 10,918 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown / Yaowarat
Millstone, New Jersey
“Drinks, Dining and Dancers with a View”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We had beautiful drinks while looking out over the river and then enjoyed a beautiful dinner. The meal was followed by traditional Thai dance performers. What a beautiful way to end the day! We loved it!

Visited June 2014

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Jerusalem, Israel
“Prices go up - food stays the same.”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We used to go here all of the time when there was a branch in the Silom Complex. Now that's gone so we visited the location next to Chong Nonsi BTS. We hadn't been there in a year. It just doesn't have what it used to have....food is still pretty good, but the prices are getting higher and higher. Several bus tour groups coming in. The pork dumplings are pretty good and the sweet/sour chicken is usually good - but sometimes misses the mark.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Grawburg
Bangkok, Thailand
“A place to avoid absolutely !”
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Went for lunch yesterday March 7. A group of 5. Our main order a Peking Duck. After having been presented the whole fowl, we finally got only roasted skin wrapped in pancake, and carbon grilled (sharp )bones ( or breaded, actually difficult to know what we were eating). The impolite butler has refused to let us go with the invoice: all dishes were charged Large: Total THB 4100. A scandal.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Trouilhat P
Bogota, Colombia
“Great food, though pricey for thai standards”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

While walking through Bangkok's Chinatown, we entered this place because it looked clean and had several other groups dining in it. I must say, it is NOT cheap if compared to other restaurants in Thailand which serve equally good food, but it was a nice break and a good place to have chinese food. Excellent fried rice, delicious pork ribs (seasoned with garlic and chilli, among other ingredients), tender sweet and sour beef and a very good spicy soup with tofu. About 60USD for a lunch for 2 people.

• Visited December 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
“They robbed me there!”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I still remember the old time when my dad brought me there. It's a great place for the Chinese-Thai like me.

I was at Shangri-la with my friend yesterday, just two persons. I was making the worst mistake by asking the head waiter to recommend me the food for the night. He was so damn kind to offer me Shrimp in XO Sauce, Curry Crab, and the steam fish. The food was ok. Nothing special to comment here.

But the big surprise came when the bill come. The total amount was 12,000 baht (400 USD) for two people for just three dishes. The worst part was the unfinished steamed fish. It costed me 5,000 baht (180 USD). Only for the normal steamed fish! I did the worst mistake not asking him what it cost, but according to the menu, it should not be more than 600 baht. They explained that the one I order is the special fish from Australia. I really don't want that. I just want the normal steam fish in the menu. Also, the prawn was more expensive that the menu (2000 baht from 600 baht).

I really was stunning by the price. However, as I was with the customer, I could not show my flowing tear. But I really recommend to all of you who want to go there not to make the same mistake like me. There are so many Chinese restaurant in Bangkok that can give the better dishes in the much much lower price. And I don't want anyone to be robbed like me again.

Even if you want to spend so much money. You can better go to better Chinese restaurant in the hotel in Thailand. I'm sure that they can offer something better. (I was sitting to the aquarium area. It's not fancy at all.)

I wait already for two day before I wrote this review. So I think that my anger is already gone. Just the pure fact here.

By the way, the branch I went was in Silom road (close to Thaniya road). Don't go there, unless you want to be a fool!

• Visited September 2013