“The greatest vegetarian food and buffet”

May Kaidee Tanao - Vegetarian Restaurant
Ranked #150 of 12,102 Restaurants in Bangkok
Price range: US$3 - US$5
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Banglamphu
Description: We offer a menu of over 50 Thai vegetarian and vegan dishes, including Tom Yam soup, Pad Thai, green curry, Isaan recipes, stir fry and cold food such as our famous fresh spring rolls.
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Love this place. Keep coming back whenever in Bangkok. Such lovely food with great fresh ingredients and delicious blends of flavours. The Saturday night buffet for 150 bhat is great value. Come with an empty stomach!

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

We were in Bangkok for 4 days and 3 nights. Visited this restaurant for 3 times in a row. Food is great in general, it would be even better if it was more consistent ( I ordered black sticky rice with mango as dessert for two times. It ended up coming in huge difference in mango portion) and more staff who speaks English.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Turned up, seated and ordered In a timely fashion. I got the massaman curry, girlfriend got the veggie soup.

Unfortunately my girlfriend found a hair in the soup after only 3 spoonfulls.

It was a huge disappointment and the meal couldn't be finished. The reason I'm giving it 3 stars and not 2 is because my massaman curry was absolutely fantastic! But the hair just destroyed the meal, and we can't look past it.

I would say this could happen to anyone, but I would still recommend this place on the basis of my curry.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Absolutely amazing vegetarian food. Friendly staff and a very good menu, with classics and some special stuff. All my friends (inlc non-veggies) agree this is great. The also do a reputable cooking school.

2  Thank Axel P
Reviewed 9 May 2014

After our first day struggling to find a vegan friendly food joint, we summoned the mighty power of Mr. Google himself. Staying close to Khoa San Road we found a review for May Kaidee. So on wards we went.

Now the first of our (my girlfriend and I) was steamed noodles with curry. Now this was a nice, vegan dish, but was maybe a little to overbearing with the taste of aniseed in the dish, none the less enjoyed it all.

Second we had Curried rice and veg. Now this was supposed to have vegetarian sausage in it, but unless it was a paste, I did not see or taste any! None-the-less, the dish itself was well portioned and tasty. It certainly filled a whole. As a side I also had the tempura vegetables, these were just lovely. In fact all the veg in all the dishes were cooked to perfection, al dente.

Finally, now this was a hell of a finally... we had the Black Sticky rice with coconut milk and mango!!! This was a 'taste sensation'. Now personally I don't think that phrase should ever be used, and maybe it was the heat, but those were the words that left my mouth after every lingering mouthful. Delicious!

Overall, including a large bottle of Chang and a fresh coconut drink our bill came to 480TB, which is £8.70 to us to Brits. Now I know we could find places and eat cheaper, but why bother for these prices. The street stalls scare me to eat from and I fear for those that do, as the food is out in the searing heat for hours, rice, noodles, meat, veg, all of it. I would expect to be ill from it all at only 100TB a dish, I'll pass thanks.

May Kaidee gets a 2 thumbs from us. Not outstanding, but with value for money and the dessert in contention, give it a go.