“Excellent Food, Long Wait, Not Cheap, Worth the Experience.”
Review of Raan Jay Fai

Raan Jay Fai
Ranked #720 of 13,014 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Ban Bat
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Had a full day planned on Raan Jay Fai's side of town which included, a visit to the Grand Palace, Wat Arun, and Wat Pho. Our first stop was the Grand Palace, and then we broke for lunch. The Grand Palace would be the last attraction we would see as the roughly 3 hour wait at Raan Jay Fai consumed the entire day ; however was an experience well worth it all. We arrived via taxi from the Grand Palace at about 1:45pm for their opening at 2:30pm, where we were able to get our names on the waiting list at # 7, as # 2 said they had been there waiting since 11am. My wife who is a "must eat on time person" was surprisingly motivated to wait and led our charge in waiting the unknown period. Be advised this is a very small street side place so at opening they called #'s 1-5 plus 1 email reservation and the place was filled. A nervous energy fills the place as if you are 60 seconds late to your call you may be out of luck as the hostess is very efficient. The mood also intensifies as Jay Fai emerges from their back alley prepping area, and begins to fire up her charcoal fired woks. The droves of onlookers also arrive just wanting to get a glimpse of her. From that point we waited possible another 1.5 hours to be seated and ordered quickly as we had so long to read over the menu. By that point the list was somewhere around 25 I felt for those folks. Nonetheless we ordered the Tom Yum Goon, Drunken Noodles, Crab Omlette, and Basil Chicken, and a few Chang's and soda water to wash it down. The food took another hour to come, as Jay Fai cooks all the main dishes herself and the assistants just help with prep work. Every dish was fantastic and the quality of the food was by far the best we had in Thailand witj very large portions. FYI this is not cheap as the entire meal was just short of $100 usd. Not typical in Bangkok under any circumstances, but worth the experience if you can afford it. As you know Y.O.L.O (you only live once). The feel good story of the day was a Swedish man who had to catch a flight home in a few hours, but just stopped by to try his luck and was #10 on the list. Given the time of his flight his chances were slim, but #2 had ordered so much food that they gave him a free $30 crab Omlette which he gladly accepted and went on his merry way. Everyone had a great laugh at his luck. Great time!

Date of visit: July 2018
3  Thank jbones718Brooklyn

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Is the food good? Yes. Is it so much better than the stalls 20 meters away? Not for me. Prices are 5-8 times higher and you just don’t know when it’s going to be your turn. Saying it’s 1 to 6 hours wait is not professional by any standard. Never to repeat the experience.

7  Thank Francesco V
Reviewed 19 August 2018

My Foremost Advice: DO NOT visit with an empty stomach or when you are very hungry.

We arrived confidently without a prior reservation, partly because the coordinator among us had the wrong contact number. We walked in at 1:45pm, saw that it only opens at 2:30pm, joined the queue at 6th spot on the list, and still waited for the next 2.5 hours.

But I must say it is the best street food I have ever tasted in Bangkok after visiting the city for the past 30 years, and it is also one of the most expensive. The 4 of us spent 4,780thb on about 7 dishes.
Food setting tells how and why it deserves Michelin Award. Although every dish tasted delicious, but only 2 to 3 were extremely awesome to us. Ingredients were fresh and generous. For example, we had the first Seafood Kway Teow (noodles/pasta) which saw the ingredients more than noodles. It could be called Kway Teow Seafood instead.
90% of the diners were foreigners. While waiting, we saw 1 in every 10 dropped the queue and walked away.
I'd strongly recommend to try at least once. But I probably won't return unless I need to impress someone or my bring my family for a revisit, because the queue is really a dread.

Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

Definitely one of a kind crab egg omelette I’ve ever tasted. We went late at night and got the last seats. Waited for an hour for the food to be served, because apparently there’s only one chef cooking, none other than the Jay Fai herself. She’s really dedicated to her cooking and I think it’s a well deserved michelin star award for her.
Definitely worth visiting when u’re in Thailand.

1  Thank esuw
Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

Reserved online way advance but was confirmed only by 8.30pm. Arrived earlier and waited for an hour before finally seated. Took another 45mins for the foods to be served. Overall only the crabmeat omelette was nice and the rest just norm Thai’s foods standard. It was really hot and humid inside the restaurant. Will be great if it is air-condition.