“Even just for the Crab Omelette it is worth the wait. ”
Review of Raan Jay Fai

Raan Jay Fai
Ranked #827 of 12,544 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My colleague book months ahead for us to ensure there and yet we waited 20mins for the seat and 20mins for the food. I had long wanted to visit this place even before it was give a Michelin star. My diary has never permit until this visit.

The Crab Omelette is a class a above. I am not to describe much about it except to say it is a dish made in heaven for mortals like us.

Tomyum us the other dish that totally delights me. The balance of flavours which is subtle yet mersmerizing - is something you cannot find anywhere in the world. My best TomYum ever.

We also ordered the dried porridge and flat noodles. They are good but one can get over with the Crab Omelette and the TomYum

Make a booking. Go there 30mins earlier, order your dish while you wait. Don't miss this chance. Worth it.

2  Thank tpsze

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We got in touch with them thru email and we were booked at their opening slot. Once we got there, there were already 25 groups of people on the walk in list. Don’t walk in, email and reserve. Thank me after.

Once they opened shop, we were seated. We ordered Crab Omelette, Seafood Noodles, Tom Yum Kung (shrimp) and White Rice.

Crab Omelette was packed with fresh crab meat. Definitely worth it. Tasted great!

Seafood Noodles was great too. The seafood outnumbered the noodles. Seafood was fresh, huge and tasty.

Tom Yum was average.

Overall it was an awesome experience and we’ll definitely go back.

Staff were not as welcoming except the one that greeted us. But hey, we came for the food and it didn’t disappoint.

Thanks again for the great meal Jay Fai! Until next time! :)

2  Thank Pocholo N
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We ate at the restaurant after making a late afternoon reservation via their email address several months before our visit.
The restaurant is easy to find and is on a main street about a mile walk out of Chinatown. The restaurant was also easy to spot as it had a crowd of tourists and prospective diners outside it jostling for position.
We arrived for our reservation early and quickly learnt the crowds were mainly people who had just turned up and were waiting for their turn in ‘walk up’ book.
No staff acknowledged us, smiled or attempted to differentiate us from the mob outside.
It got to approximately 10-15 minutes after our allotted time and I ended up forcing myself in to the attention of a waitress who was doing her best to avoid eye contact with anyone.
The staff were all very busy, they were rude and went to great lengths to avoid questions, conversation or eye contact.
On first glances the restaurant appears to be struggling under the weight of its own success. Staff including Jay Fai did not look happy to be there, there seemed to be an underlying resentment and palpable contempt for diners. Jay Fai was segregated away behind partitions (presumably due to tourists getting in her way and distracting her in the past). Do not expect any interaction or smiles - she was just busy doing her thing and looking like she wanted to be somewhere else.
We were eventually seated at our table, 15 minutes later we ordered some beers and our food. In this interaction we at least got a smile from one member of staff before she rushed off.
We ordered one crab omelette, one portion of drunken noodles with prawns and one bowl of tom yum soup with prawns.
Service was staggered and we received our items about 10 minutes apart - however that said it took some 40 thirsty minutes or so for our first dish to arrive. During this time staff walked by avoiding eye contact and avoiding attempts to politely ask for their attention for drinks service. One waitress even looked at us both, then our empty beers, then our empty glasses and walked off.

The food was absolutely delicious;
The crab omelette was piled full of sweet, perfectly cooked crab meat, it was decadent tasting but not too rich and was also served with a chilli dip that was a perfect accompaniment.
The drunken noodles were fantastic, perfectly cooked with huge juicy prawns, fierce fragrant spice and amazing cooked stir fried vegetables and greens.
The tom yum was very authentic, was fiercely hot and spicy and had a fragrance unlike any other tom yum or other Thai dish I’ve ever tasted. I like spicy food but actually had to leave some of the broth as my mouth and head were practically on fire.

As other reviews suggest the restaurant is extremely expensive when compared to restaurants of similar food, style and comfort level. For three dishes between two people and 4 Singha beers we paid approximately 3000 Baht.
The food tasted like it was worth the money and the incredibly large succulent seafood used can’t be cheap however it did leave me wondering where the money goes in a restaurant with no air conditioning, not enough staff, an obviously unhappy and segregated chef and one toilet with no taps or soap.

I’m glad we came and just like most people; I’ve wanted to eat at the restaurant since seeing it featured on Somebody Feed Phil. However I would strongly advise you to only book in advance. Also come expecting terrible service and unfriendliness and then it will at least not be a surprise.

1  Thank Daniel H
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Had a full day planned on Raan Jay Fai's side of town which included, a visit to the Grand Palace, Wat Arun, and Wat Pho. Our first stop was the Grand Palace, and then we broke for lunch. The Grand Palace would be the last attraction we would see as the roughly 3 hour wait at Raan Jay Fai consumed the entire day ; however was an experience well worth it all. We arrived via taxi from the Grand Palace at about 1:45pm for their opening at 2:30pm, where we were able to get our names on the waiting list at # 7, as # 2 said they had been there waiting since 11am. My wife who is a "must eat on time person" was surprisingly motivated to wait and led our charge in waiting the unknown period. Be advised this is a very small street side place so at opening they called #'s 1-5 plus 1 email reservation and the place was filled. A nervous energy fills the place as if you are 60 seconds late to your call you may be out of luck as the hostess is very efficient. The mood also intensifies as Jay Fai emerges from their back alley prepping area, and begins to fire up her charcoal fired woks. The droves of onlookers also arrive just wanting to get a glimpse of her. From that point we waited possible another 1.5 hours to be seated and ordered quickly as we had so long to read over the menu. By that point the list was somewhere around 25 I felt for those folks. Nonetheless we ordered the Tom Yum Goon, Drunken Noodles, Crab Omlette, and Basil Chicken, and a few Chang's and soda water to wash it down. The food took another hour to come, as Jay Fai cooks all the main dishes herself and the assistants just help with prep work. Every dish was fantastic and the quality of the food was by far the best we had in Thailand witj very large portions. FYI this is not cheap as the entire meal was just short of $100 usd. Not typical in Bangkok under any circumstances, but worth the experience if you can afford it. As you know Y.O.L.O (you only live once). The feel good story of the day was a Swedish man who had to catch a flight home in a few hours, but just stopped by to try his luck and was #10 on the list. Given the time of his flight his chances were slim, but #2 had ordered so much food that they gave him a free $30 crab Omlette which he gladly accepted and went on his merry way. Everyone had a great laugh at his luck. Great time!

2  Thank jbones718Brooklyn
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Is the food good? Yes. Is it so much better than the stalls 20 meters away? Not for me. Prices are 5-8 times higher and you just don’t know when it’s going to be your turn. Saying it’s 1 to 6 hours wait is not professional by any standard. Never to repeat the experience.

5  Thank Francesco V