Parinda Hotel
US$115
US$179
US$173
Orbitz.com
All reviewsnana plazalife fitness equipmentnana entertainmentphloen chitthe red light districthotel gymthe main roadhotel is locatedrooms are bigquality hotelper nightgreat roomfree shuttleroom servicebts stationother hotelsexcellent hotel
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I was stuck for a place to stay last minute over New Year's Eve and all the hotels I knew were whacking up the prices because it was the busy season. Being a cheapskate I wasn't happy to stay in in hotel with tripled prices, but reservations were few and far between so hotels were able to name their price.

I searched around and found Hotel Parinda on Tripadvisor. The price jumped out at me. It was literally half the cost as other comparable hotels. I think this is because it's brand new and doesn't have a strong following yet. But all the reviews on Tripadvisor were favourable so I thought I'd give it a go.

I was staying in Bangkok for five nights.

Check in was swift and the reservation officer, Charlotte Gonzales (Filipino) spoke perfect English and was very efficient. My one gripe in Thailand (and I am aware of how pampered this makes me sound) is that sometimes Thais don't speak great English and struggle to understand the western mindset so conversation can be stilted and full of misunderstanding. Thais are usually helpful and keen to please but the subtlety of the conversation is often lacking. So when you're tired from a long journey and have questions, to have a perfect English speaker who understands our demanding, whining mentality is a bonus.

My bags were taken to the room which was outstanding; clean, brand new fixtures and fittings and of a very high quality, as is found around the hotel in general. Everything is brand new and sparkling. The bathroom was bigger than my own bedroom at home with a separate bath and shower. The bed was firm and massive. I also had a sofa, a desk and there is a big screen TV showing the usual array of crap programmes. I would have loved to have had more English channels including some premier league TV but I probably wouldn't have left the hotel so it may have been more a blessing than a curse. There was a fridge with drinks supplied.

The floor hallways feel luxurious with deep carpeting (still smelling brand new) and nice dark wood doors and fittings. The room doors are designed to close quietly ensuring no noise pollution enters the room from outside while one is resting. The thick carpeting muffles the sound of other guests even further. I was concerned about noise from the adjoining highway but with the a\c on, a quality double glazed window in place and a further barrier in the thick blackout curtains there was almost zero noise pollution. For someone like me who is a light sleeper this was a relief.

The hotel missed a trick in its design because the pool is on the north of the hotel in the shadow of the building (except before 11am and after 3pm when the extreme ends get some sun). This is okay when it's swelteringly hot and guests just want a dip to cool off but at this time of year (Christmas) it only reaches around 30 degrees C and sitting by the pool catching some rays would be nice. So don't book Hotel Parinda if you plan to bathe all day.

The gym, on the other hand, is exceptionally good. It's massive. Maybe the owner of the hotel is a fitness fanatic? Lifecycle machines for cardio, free weights and exercise machines would leave even dedicated gyms in the shade. Not that I saw anyone using this facility.

The dining area and bar offered a range of seating from bar stools to table and chairs to a raised platform with leatherette bean bags for a more relaxed approach to scoffing and drinking. I tended to slump in the bean bags and read my book over breakfast.

The staff make a half decent cup of espresso which is important. Breakfast in general is average at best. Thai hotels don't understand the anglo-american approach to breakfast. Our obsession with proper sausage and bacon. Our need to well cook our tomatoes and mushrooms and actually toast our bread till it passes the warm floppy stage. These small subtleties bypass Thai chefs who have a fresher, quicker approach to cooking and it shows. The home fried potatoes were rarely cooked through. The sausage was something akin to a hotdog sausage as it is in every Thai breakfast place not owned by an expat who feels as passionately about sausages as I. A businessman could clean up if he were to open a British style sausage factory to supply Bangkok's hotel industry.

The hotel doesn't offer a breakfast buffet as I've seen in other Thai hotels. This isn't a problem but it must ensure the set breakfasts it offers are of a higher standard.

Another gripe is that coffee was expensive. With sales tax and the ubiquitous 10 per cent service charge (which I am informed one has to pay regardless of service) the price of a coffee becomes more expensive than one would pay in London or New York. At breakfast I like a couple of cups and it ended up costing me around six quid. The management could reduce the price.

I was unfortunate to suffer a heavy cold for three of my five nights so I used room service and ate in the restaurant as I bravely struggled to recuperate. The burger and fries I ate was awful. The burger meat was tough and badly minced and the fries were akin to something out of bumper budget mega pack of frozen chips from Tesco's Own brand. I expect home made fries. How hard can it be? Again the chefs would do well to bone up on what the international traveller expects from international low brow cuisine. Get on Youtube for a tutorial or hire a chef trainer for the day to perfect a menu that is acceptable. Having said that I ate the most sublime apple crumble ever. It came with creme Anglaise and vanilla ice cream and was set in a little ramekin. How can the standard between dishes vary so much?

I ordered pancakes for breakfast and would have liked more than an ounce of syrup on the pancakes. Without the moisture of this liquid it was like eating cotton wool.

Okay so I'm griping about the food, but if the hotel wants to capitalise on its investment in what is such a lovely dining/bar are with friendly helpful staff it would do well to improve the menu.

Other things. The hotel offers a free shuttle service to the underground if you don't want to walk. I would say it's only 15 minutes to the sky train and 25 to the underground but the option is there.

The hotel is about 10 minutes from Sukhumvit Road and unless you take a little detour you will pass the red light district of Nana Plaza which sits on the corner of Suhumvit and Soi 4. I didn't mind this as I'm a single bloke and like looking at hot Thai ladies and not so hot Thai ladyboys and it never feels threatening or unsafe, but a traveller with more prudish sensibilities might do better to stay elsewhere. The restaurants on Soi 4 are below average but I would recommend trying some street food( served from semi mobile gas fired carts) as this is where the workers sit and scoff so it's going to be authentic at least.

The hotel is also five minutes jog from a massive local park. You have to cut through a neighbourhood which is interesting but once at the park you can run and walk in an oasis of calm in this frenetic city.

On my last morning I asked the receptionist (not Ms Gonzales) to order me a taxi for the airport. The taxi that turned up was old and rickety, much like its driver who 'forgot' to turn on his meter. It is law that the meter has to be turned on but many drivers prefer not to so they can try and charge a higher price at journey's end. I think it does the Parinda a disservice to allow guests to end their stay with this experience. A dedicated list of preferred taxi drivers with good vehicles and a willingness to use the meter without argument would be a step up.

There is little I can find negative about the Parinda. It is a new hotel that is still finding its feet but if the service I received is anything to go by it will be a success.

One last thing, on my return to London I received an email from Ms Gonzales explaining that when I paid my bill she forgot to return my bank card. She awaited instructions. I asked her to dispose of my card which she emailed back to say she had done.

Room Tip: The view isn't anything spectacular from any room but the north facing rooms (overlooking the pool) offer a vista of Bangkok and the highway which looks kind of cool at night.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Darren H
Siripong_Charoensub, Manager at Parinda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Greetings from Parinda Hotel!

Thank you for your time for giving us your review. We appreciate your kind comment for our facilities and hotel as well. We will continue to work on improving our service and hope you can visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

The hotel is located in a quite location only a 3 minute walk to a busy road full of taxis, bars and restaurants and not too far from the bts nana rail station which will zoom you to most of the places you will want to see.

Ive stayed at erawan , Hilton, shereton hotels in Bangkok but parinda beats them on service , price and a good nights sleep.

my wife and daughter loved this hotel and will be staying here again in 2014

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank redbull883

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed in Nov 2013 as a duo.
I live in Hawaii, this far surpasses anything i have experienced in Hawaii. One word comes to mind.... Heavenly.
We have stayed at Anantara Satorn several times in the past and Parinda compares very favorably indeed!
Why?
(1)Quiet, clean, cool, spacious rooms.....
(2)Incredibly Comfortable Bed and pillows
(3)One of the best really hot water bath and showers this side of the China sea. If you enjoy a really hot water, this is the place.
(4) a huge room full of State of art exercise equipment .
(5) pleasant, service minded staff
(6)A wide variety of restaurants and cafes on both sides of the 12 minute walkway to the train station or Nana.
By the way, when you do get near Sukhumvit Rd look for the Bangkok Baking company.You won't regret it, fantastic breads cakes sandwiches and coffee!
(7)One final point....We were lucky enough to take our evening bath as the sun was in the process of setting. The view thru the bathrooms huge picture window is something to remember.

Room Tip: Premium corner Suite was the best value because of the 2 large rooms with balcony and the spacious bath and shower with its picture window. The sunset and night views were...like something only seen in movies.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank allthekingsbears

Reviewed 15 December 2013

One of the best hotels in Bangkok for the price you pay. The rooms are contemporary and spacious. Everything is brand new and kept very clean. There is also a flat screen TV in the room. It's a bargain for the price. The only caveat is the location is a bit fat from the BTS. Otherwise no complaints.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Siripong_Charoensub, Manager at Parinda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Mr. Sir,

Thank you for your time for giving us your review. We appreciate your kind comment for our rooms and hotel price as well. We will continue to work on improving our service and hope you can visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

This hotel had lovely large and well decorated rooms that were super clean. It was really an oasis from the crazy bar area of Bangkok. Fortunately the air conditioner made the room sound proof. The hotel provided free car service to the local skytrain station The restaurant needs a little better trained staff.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Siripong_Charoensub, Manager at Parinda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Sir/Madame,

Greetingd from Parinda Hotel!