“Oh Dear ...Sorry Indians not allowed.”
Review of Maggie Choo's

Maggie Choo's
Ranked #283 of 10,959 Restaurants in Bangkok
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: Chinese, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Silom
Description: Magical underground cabaret full of mystery, romance, jazz, reminiscent of Shanghai 1930. Maggie Choo's was named after Shanghai cabaret owner who fled her hometown in 1931 following the Japanese invasion that tore the city. Shortly after arriving in Bangkok, she found a 19th century Thai Chinese shoe box restaurant crammed into a basement 10 meters below Silom road serving authentic Thai chinese shophouse food. When one day, she discovered behind the walls in the corner of the restaurant an entrance that lead to a derelict 19th century East India company bank built in 1847 used for storing porcelain and spices that the British used to carry back to England for Queen Victoria, her past caught up with her and she converted the old bank into a cabaret, just like when she used to back in Shanghai. Today the cabaret is yet to be revived again...
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Oh Dear ...Sorry Indians not allowed.”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have been to this great theme bar about 6 months ago.. innovative and a nice alternate concept in the Silom end of town. Previously I arrived with Thai friends and we had a great time sitting near the grand piano with the seductive chomsum girls with their provocative fans.. At that time - We had gone to Maggie Choo's after one of my Thai friends had been refused entry to another nightclub IN RCA.. Maggie Choos welcomed us all in on the previous visit and we had a great night and spent big - they had a wonderful Afro-american singer Keithin Carter singing Blues like there was no tomorrow. So I felt safe to invite a tourism writer who I know directly to the venue we were to meet inside. He rang me after the appointed catchup time to say he had been refused entry by staff at the front door.. (sorry sir you cant come in - private club members only) He is Portugese Indian - silver hair and silver moustache you should remember him!. SHAME ON YOU AND THE OWNERS OF MAGGIE CHOOS - my friend is a well known travel blogger and now I guess we can look forward to some additional comment on your discriminatory racial practices.!! Earlier last century they displayed a sign on the Bund in Shanghai .. Dogs and Chinese not allowed... At least you let your singers into the bar - but I guess that sign inspired the current thinking on refusing Indians into your bar. I left the bar and met my friend in Sukhumvit Rd.

• Visited May 2014

• Thai first
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Came here on recommendation from a friend on a Saturday night and let me tell you, it has the whole package! Atmosphere, entertainment, looks, staff and tasty tasty drinks. Thanks for having me, I shall be back and bring friends :)

Visited May 2014
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Amazing Bar”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

It is designed as a former opium den converted to a bar. It has a fantastic theme of chained erotic dancers all over the place including on top of the bar roof etc and with dim lighting makes a great stab the decadence in the opium age. This is definitely one of the better bars I have been too anywhere in the world. A must go.

Visited September 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
“What a great new destination”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Managed to squeeze in a visit last week, this is an incredible journey

finally someone has combined atmosphere/design, with service and a great product

Maggie Choo's is a master piece of design, the authenticity is incredible and the the cocktails are superb, creative in flavour and in design

this is one of the bars you will go to over and over again it is just entertaining in itself, and there is live entertainment too

its hard to say anything bad (not that I need to) but its simply a fantastic place

upon entering your expectations are set, nothing fine dining or fussy just down to earth

I didn't eat this visit but there is a little Chinese eatery at the entrance, great for snacks etc

in the main room you can't eat, just drink and enjoy which is great

a super find and anyone going to Bangkok must put this as a must do visit

Well done guys, I'm sure there will be more popping up soon - heard Iron Fairy is one of yours too, I must go see

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank MBJ400
Frankfurt, Germany
“Best Bar in Town!!!!!”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Every night changing jazz bands and an amazing atmosphere. One would never guess that there is a jewel hidden behind those doors...
A must see!