“They are not ready yet”

Singapore, Singapore
“They are not ready yet”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Staff
Only one or two staff able to speak english. Check in process is slow. Shortage of manpower in the whole hotel.

Housekeeping
Housekeeping did not clear the dustbin from day 1 to day 5 when we check out.

Room
All the furniture are new and in good condition. Room is big compare to other hotel. But long walk if stay at north tower.

Request for iron, the house keeping replied will be in one month later. That it, never provide any alternative solution. We request for travel adaptor, reception ask us to buy from 7-11. Therefore, please remember to bring yours.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 August 2013

After reading all the reviews on tripadvisor I was not looking forward to staying here. However, I was quite surprised when I got there. Although no concierge was there to open the door, the checkout did not take half an hr, more like 10 minutes? Reception staff were friendly. Paid a $3000baht deposit which we were told we would get back at the end of the stay. Was told to come back at 3pm as rooms were not ready. We were fine with that. They also upgraded us to two rooms instead of a family room since the other room was not ready yet.

A lot of markets are nearby which is good for cheap shopping. Tuktuks and taxi's readily available. Platinum mall is a few seconds walk.

The concierge was very friendly & took our luggage up. Even showed us how to turn on the aircon. Aircon is noisy if you leave it on high, but when you switch it to low it is very quiet.

Breakfast has a variety of food, however it does not change everyday.
Housekeeping is done late evening, but everything is replenished and they mop/vacuum the floor tidily. The sink has no hot water but the shower does. Shower sometimes changes temperature.

Hotel has nice decor, rooms are clean. Found some power plugs in the desk as well which was good. They supplied a hairdryer but would have been nice to have a power plug in the bathroom.

Overall I thought the hotel was pretty good compared to the other reviews... until...we checked out. Checkout process took awhile.. we asked for our $3000baht deposit back and the receptionist told us that our $3000 baht was used up for the extra bed each night...She printed out a sheet with the cost of the extra bed each night which coincidentally totalled to $3000. But we had already prepaid for the extra bed in the booking, and they upgraded us due to the fact their room was not ready. Therefore we argued back and she disappeared to talk to someone before re-appearing to let us know she'll give us the money back. No apologies were made.
Then when we were about to leave she ran up to us and said we drunk one of the mineral water's..... totally untrue as we bought our own mineral water & never touched theirs. Did not end up paying for it since we didn't drink it..but was quite unimpressed with how they tried to swindle more money from us at the end.

Overall the stay was good until we checked out.

4 Thank jj1227
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

The hotel located in probably the most buzy area of bangkok. Central World is just 5 to 10 mins walk, and streets are full with stalls everything you will ever need, so you'll get both hi-so and lo-so life blended at the same place. The mall next to it is a half dead mall, so it a wasted. The hotel is busy, the lift is spacious but confusing as only the lift which you press the button will respond so you may need to call by press the lift button on which lift comes closure to you. The room is clean but the window on the outer side was not.

• Stayed August 2013
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed in Berkeley from the 22nd Aug till 26th Aug in the North Tower.

Good: near Platinum Fashion Mall, Pantip Mall and Palladium. nice food across the road, there are also two 7-11 nearby. stable internet connection in room. nice hotel room and hotel outlook.

Bad: shower stall drainage was choked resulting in flooding of the bathroom, housekeeping standard wasnt consistent (there were days that some amenities and towels were not replenished and when i requested for them, they asked why). front desk was quite messy but the check in and check out time didnt take too long. quite a distance away from Chidlom BTS (have to squeeze through crowds of people to and fro). Not well-known among taxi drivers (they know where Palladum is but they dont know the hotel).

Overall there are many things to improve on. i dont think the whole hotel is fully operational yet as i still see them doing minor renovations in some areas. Just dont expect a 5 star standard when staying here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BerniceAw
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel from 17 to 24 Aug. Initially, I was impressed with the size of the rooms given, and also the toiletries provided in the toilet. However, the housekeeping did not attend to my room on the second and fourth day.
On the second day, I came bavk from Chatuchak at about 1pm, and found the room not made. I called housekeeping twice, who promised to send someone that never came, called the front office that nobody picked up, and then called the concierge who promised to call the front office. In the end, when I left at about 4.30pm, I spoke to the Manager on duty at the front desk, who promised to look into this.
my room was finally made when I came back after dinner.
Third day was ok, as the room was made when I came back in the afternoon.
However, same thing happenedon the fourth day. No housekeeping until late evening. End up I just asked for new towels when the housekeeping came. After they have left, I realised the garbages were not cleared. When I went out for dinner that night, I spoke to the receptionist, who promised to look into this. However, when I came back that night, the trash were still there.
I gave up calling them, and the next morning, just before leaving the hotel, I left a note for the manager, complaining about the housekeeping, and how the toiletries were not replenished.
I woukd say that the housekeepibg had improved after that, although for a couple of days, the team came in the evening. At leadt the trash got removed, toiletries replenished, and towels changed.
Generally, I would attribute this to the lack of manpower. However, this should not translate to problems or inconveniences to the customers.
Another grouse would be why can't the hotel ensure that the taxis in their hotel use the meter, like MBK Centre, instead of telling the customers the 'fixed' price (at least 2 to 300 bahts minimum)?
By the way, many taxi drivers do not know this hotel, even after I hv showed them the paper from the hotel in thai.
Location wise, this hotel is very near to Pratunam, Platinum Shopping Centre, and Pantip Plaza. Next door is Palladium Shopping World.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Andy_C99
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 23 August 2013

This is my review and I hope its helpful to other travelers.

Booking.
I had booked the hotel thru agoda. Got a very good deal at Baht 2070 for Premier Room. Without breakfast. Excellent value for money.

Check in / Out:
The staff are not up to the mark and need a lot of training. After argument their greetings looks artificial.

We reached at 9 am and the girl at the check in counter straightaway denied the room. She did not checked up the availability of the room and told us to come at 2 pm. Its very normal that when a room is ready, the hotels generally allow the early check in. Anyway we did not needed the room. Told her to finish off the check-in process so that we need not waste or time at the time of real check in. We gave them deposit, kept our bags at the concierge headed to the Grand Palace.

Came back at 3 PM. Room was given straightaway but in North Tower, where as we wanted in Main Tower. Its better to take room in Main Tower, else you need to change the lift on 11th floor and then walk to North Tower, take another lift and then reach your floor / room. A bit of in convenience, but was ok.

Check out was swift and was done in no more than 5 minutes.

Rooms:
I was provided Premier Room on the 27th floor. Nice room, good ambiance and very inviting. It had the following basic things: Swim Robes, Slippers, Hair dryer, Room safe, LCD television, mini bar, coffee/tea maker, Tea, Coffee, Sugar Sachets, 2 Water bottles, Refrigerator, Sofa with table, Free LAN and WiFi access.

Room service was bad and was never done on time. Also there was no socket to use the Indian plugs.

The Hotel has a swimming pool on the 11 th floor which was very nice. It was with jacuzzi but the water was spilling out.

Not sure if the hotel has other facilities like Gym, Suana as we did not had time to explore.

Location:
Good location @ Pratunam - Good for shopping.

Distances from:
Palladium Shopping Mall - 20 Seconds walk.
Klong Pier (Canal ride to Grand Palace, & many others) - 3 Minutes walk
Airport Rail Link Ratchaprarop station - 10 Minutes walk
Ratchathewi BTS Station - 15 Minutes walk
Chidlom BTS Station - 20 Minutes walk
Don Muang Airport - 30-35 Minutes by Car
Suvarnabhumi Airport - 45- 60 Minutes by Car.

Will I stay again and recommend to others.
Sure if they keep the same price. If they increase, hmm lot of options nearby.

If my review was helpful please give an Helpful vote.

Room Tip: High Floor Room @ Main Tower should be better as you need to walk a lot if you take room at North T...
16 Thank sanjeev_abhish
Molde, Norway
Reviewed 23 August 2013

A taxi driver recommended this hotel as we hadn´t ordered a hotel for our return stay in Bangkok after our trip to North East of Thailand. Berkeley had introduction offers through Agoda.com. We ordered a Family room with 3 beds at a good price, 2,600 THB incl. breakfast. The check-in was kind of slow and a lot of waiting. Quite a few people standing in line. We were told our room wasn´t read even when we arrived after 2 PM. We had to wait an hour so we went for a meal. Even at 3 PM our room wasn´t ready so we waited for another while. Finally the clerk told me they couldn´t get the room ready so we were upgraded free of charge to a larger corner suite. The lobby area was big and nice, so were the staff even though things moved slowly. Our suite was large, with 2 king size beds. Great view from the window over the Pratunam area. Even though the room initially looked like a blast, it wasn´t that clean, and the interior in the bathroom was well-used and appeared old. There ere not enough lights and lamps in the suite either, so it was kind of dark. The pool area was great and a big plus. So was the breakfast, lots of Thai and International food. Staff were all around very nice and polite. I can´t complain since we got a great deal for such a big room, but you just didn´t get the feeling of a 5 star hotel. I know they are experiencing hickups in their starting period, but cleaning, lights, wifi were absolutely not good enough. Since they are new, I bet they will get better, but they need to improve in various areas to warrant a 5-star rating

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family