“Hotel policy is more important than guests' needs!”

The Berkeley Hotel Pratunam
Ranked #224 of 866 Hotels in Bangkok
“Hotel policy is more important than guests' needs!”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Hotel is good looking and is in a good location, but the cost cutting can ruin their business.

We check in the hotel Oct 20 , we were about 29 in the group and 2 person share a room. , we were given 1 room key per room. I requested for another key ,since me and my room mate might have different time going back to hotel.
The front office agent said she doesn't have the authorization to do that and have to call on the manager, I waited and no manager approach me, our tour guide then spotted a man with coat and tie, and call him, He did not introduce himself but we assumed that he is the manager. He said for the "extra' key, I have to deposit 500 thai baht, because it is the hotel policy, (anybody heard of that policy?) I was stunned because I never heard of such ridiculous policy. What will I do with the Tahi baht after I check out?

The manager was not taking care of us, hotel guests. He was more concerned with the HOTEL POLICY! Imagine how inconvenient for us to wait for each other in the room because we have only 1 key. It took us about 30 min discussion about the key, but in the end I let it go because I don't want to the manager to ruin my vacation.

The room was not well cleaned, it has hairs in the drawers and a hair clip at the coffee table which does not belong to me and my room mate. The slippers were recycled.

The room attendant was great, she had good manners and replenish the amenities in the room.

I was so disappointment with my first encounter that I decided not to stay in the hotel the next time I go to Bangkok.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Having read some of the previous reviews, I was a little skeptical about the hotel. Lobby was rather crowded when we arrived but check in was surprisingly smooth. Met the Front Office Manager there, Ms. Nuchy, who was very professional and speaks excellent English. I personally have no issues with the 2,000 Baht preauthorization they took on my credit card during check in as it is a standard practice in hotels all over the world. This was promptly cancelled upon check out anyway. The rooms look a little tired despite the hotel being very new. Housekeeping tends to miss out on replacing some amenities like bathrobes, towels and toothbrushes but they were promptly delivered after a phone call. Breakfast spread isn't particularly impressive but Bangkok has plenty of food readily available so we weren't too concerned. Concierge was very helpful, offering us a variety of options about what's available around the hotel and hailing us a taxi. The trouble is with coming back as the hotel is rather new so taxi drivers tend to either not know how to get back here or charge a premium (usually 200 Baht) to send us back. The BTS is a fair distance away but we tend to take a taxi everywhere in Bangkok anyway so it wasn't an issue for us. Platinum is within walking distance and the hotel is connected to Palladium Mall if you are into that sort of shopping. The street just outside the hotel very handily turns into a bustling night market with tonnes of food options every night. All in all, I'd rate this as a distinctly average hotel. No major complaints but nothing particular stood out as well. Might not come back again if there are other options available but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to happen if we absolutely had to.

Room Tip: get a room in the main tower as it is much more convenient.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Berkeley pratunam hotel located perfectly in pratunam area, just beside palladium shopping centre and only takes 5 mins to reach platinum fashion mall and pantip plaza.just outside hotel have local food / fashion store everyday start from 5pm. Don't worry about massage shop, plenty of them just around corner from hotel ( foot massage for an hour costs 200 baht , oil massage 400 baht ) hotel offer nice room size with good view.even we stay at north tower but is only 5 mins journey to hotel lobby. Breakfast served daily at floor 11 but same food provided everyday, Basically location in this hotel is good and value for money.but hotel can improve in their service, coz myself in hospitality industry and of course I understand that now days guest is demanding and educated, but I feel that human contact is the most important part to play, even everything goes wrong some where but relationship with guest is good and guest will feel satisfied and happy at the end of the day.berkeley hotel should improve in their service and provide more training to their staff and hiring correct people to work with hotel. I personal feel the service standard is only 3 stars. I booked 2 room ( 1 room is for 2 paxs and 1 room for triple room for 3 nights stay ) and only request for late c/ out till 2 pm for 1 room but I need to request from different person for 3 times, of course approved by request but the night manager is rude and of course I can feel it. I look like a beggar and I just don't disappoint my family member due to late flight and we just hope a shower room after long day shopping.and I can feel it and they ( front office ) really raise up their voice and talk to me. This incident happen with I already get permission to late c/ out when I first day arrived and approved by FO staff when check in . But they just refuse and said no massage was written .secondly I booked a triple room for 3 paxs ( should normal standard room and plus a extra bed ) but room is only have 2 super single bed , and our room only provide 2 bottle water n 2 towel daily. And of course don't have extra bed for 3 days, but I did received 3 breakfast daily. I hope management can give me valid and acceptable reason in this. I no problem to provide my details to hotel and I just wanna clarified this matters. I stay north tower 32 floor 06 and another room 07 from period 16oct to 19oct. Booked through agoda.com and I confirm I pay for triple room with extra bed and only 2 small bed in room.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Terenceyeap
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 October 2013

At check-in, I was told that there is a compulsory deposit of Bahts 3,000 which is refundable upon check-out. Why?...in case guests destroy or take things from the room...that's a lot of money. Staff, though helpful, are not friendly. Ask a second question, they frown. Room was covered with dust, especially the bathtub, coffee cups, kettle, etc and seemed like it has not been used for a while. Even after asking first the front desk, then the housekeeping to clean bath-tub, nothing was done for the whole 4 days I stayed there. However, must say that the location is great and will most likely stay here again on my next trip.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Pros:
1. Big room
2. Great location, just diagonally across Platinum, and 10-15 minutes brisk walk to Central World and Siam Paragon.

Cons:
1. We have same breakfast menu everyday.
2. Non metered taxi
3. We need to pay 15 baht for ice cubes
4. Curtain is not blind proof

Perhaps this hotel has improved by leap and bounds. They clean our room, exchange the towels, and provide bottled water for us. Check in and check out process only take 5-10 minutes.

I give 5 stars for the value as we got the hotel with 60% discount on Agoda. Else, I will just give 3 stars for the value. Will stay at the hotel again if there are promotions

Room Tip: if it's possible, ask for the main tower room so that you don't need to transfer to north to...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Theresia86
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Berkeley Hotel for 4 nights in view of it's strategic location. The rooms are big and clean save for some problems with the shower and air-conditioning system (hard to adjust), and there is no housekeeping service on the second last night which we can still live with it.

The thing that really got on my nerve is that how can the hotel staff put us into a scam!!!??? Shouldn't they be helping the hotel guests?! When we made enquiry about the famous nam thong and som boon seafood restaurant, the front desk girl Kate actually told us not to go there as it is 'far and expensive', and recommend to us Pratunam Seafood which is 'mid range and nice'. The truth is the price is outrageous and it is a scam after we check trip advisor review.

How can one stay at a hotel where you cannot trust the staff??!!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Lee S

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Klang, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I had travel to Bangkok from 14 October to 17 October 2013 and had stay in The Berkeley Hotel Pratunam during that period. Overall it is a very nice stay. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The hotel is very new and modern. The design is very classic. the room is very spacious and completed with all the facilities you can think about. The hotel is located in the middle of shopping area. There is few shopping mall in nearby area. Very convenient for those who love shopping. Overall me and my partner have pleasant stay with this hotel.
It just a few points i want to comment.
1. The hotel is at quite a distance from the sky train station (nearest is about 2 km away). We have to walk to station, crossing a very busy road with heavy traffic. Plus the air in Bangkok is very dirty due to the heavy transport. End up we need to take quite a lot of trip with taxis or "Tuk Tuk".
2. The buffet breakfast is nice, but the choice is very limited. Plus they serve the same menu every morning. Kind of boring................
If you don't mind walking to sky train station then this hotel is a nice choice..............

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple