“A little bit of luxury for a great price!”

The Berkeley Hotel Pratunam
Ranked #231 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“A little bit of luxury for a great price!”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights at the end of our 6 week trip in South East Asia- and it was very luxurious, especially as we got a great deal on Agoda for around £38 per night,
The rooms were very spacious with a really modern bathroom, the pool was amazing with plenty of sun loungers for everyone and a great view.
Only thing I would say is breakfast was definitely a little pricey for what it was- worth just having a stroll outwith the hotel for food, as there is a lot of cheaper/better options around.
Staff are super, super friendly and go out of their way to help.
All in all a great stay in Bangkok and would return if I got a deal like this again!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ashleigh123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed there for 3 nights and I must say it was definitely a good deal for a 5* hotel... pros first - we are veggies and the hotel chef took proper care of it - there was an Indian chef who served us delicious Indian food - so an extra star for that. Rooms were spacious, clean. The view was good with a huge glass looking over the baiyoke sky hotel and the market below. We requested for a higher floor and were given a room on the 31st.
On the flip side, the property is actually 5* but the rooms / services need to be spruced up - our room though big had a/c humming noise with it all the time - we requested for a room change but it was like we'll shift you tomorrow all the time ... then the warm / lukewarm water would take ages to find its way to the taps / shower... definitely needs attention.

However, overall a good stay - I'd go back and stay at this property again. 4.5*s

Room Tip: If you are a veggie, this should be one of the few 5*'s around. Yes, take a higher floor prefer...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kapil K
Singapore
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights in family suite room(11611) main tower and room was huge and clean. Housekeeping supply adapter and staff are friendly and helpful. Only problem is the shower, water is very cold or very hot at times

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Kololi, Gambia
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We moved from a very satisfactory corner suite on floor 22 (main tower) as it contained two smaller beds to a Luxury room (main tower) on floor 23 to secure the single, larger bed we required. The price difference was small however the gap in facilities is huge. We moved our own bags between floor 22 & 23 (without any assistance offered), through the sauna hot corridors to the new (uncooled) room which left us both wringing wet. 5*? Really? Everything about this hotel is usually excellent, from the range at breakfast, politeness and efficiency of staff to cleanliness of the room, however on this occasion the exceptions compel me to write an advisory to others. The new room allocated to us on floor 23 (we appear to be the sole occupants of floor 23), had not been cooled prior to our occupation, and, as it catches the sun on its full length windows throughout the day is difficult to keep cool. With the curtains fully drawn at all times, the thermostat set to its minimum of 5 degrees & the fan on maximum the air conditioning struggles to lower the room below 24.3 degrees C (75.74' degrees F) courtesy of my precision t-touch watch resting on the table here. There is no respite from the fridge which cannot cool drinks below tepid (same issue on 22 & 23 floors). In fairness to the hotel management, following my three complaints, and a subsequent visit by an 'engineer' they offered us an alternative room however we declined as we had no proof (or faith) that it would be any better and we didn't wish to move our bags again to another boiling hot room through the sauna like corridors. I would not reject this hotel however (it is mostly v.f.m) but I would recommend to other customers that they be assertive in demanding a room that can be properly cooled, whatever price they pay. I would however avoid floor 23 entirely until its cooling issues are resolved. I hope the hotel management take note that '5*' and 'cool' must go hand in hand in all respects and take the necessary corrective actions asap.

Room Tip: Corner suites are vast, well equipped, but two beds are unnecessary for most couples and are smaller...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Reviewed 16 March 2014

As my previous experience of Thailand in the 1990s was pretty bad. This first trips since then has really open my eyes to how much it has improved itself.

First was the experience when I arrived at the hotel lobby via cab from the airport Don Mueang.
The hotel lobby was grand and spacious, the staff were ready our arrival and greeted us as we got off the cab. The bell boy was quick to assist us with our bags and the counter staff were quick to check us into our room. The time it took for us to get our keys were less than 10 minutes and we checked in ahead of time. Hotel lobby staff were always there to greet and assist you.

Second was the location, it situated at the crossroads where the cheap bargains are found and the high end retails are located. Just a walk across the road and you will enter the shopping area of your desire.

Last or the down side was the room, the cleanliness of the bed were quite good but the shower seems to be lacking a little more. Stain marks can be seen all over the place (water marks, stained because of the air conditioning). Little fruit flies seen flying around in the shower area. Beds aren't that comfortable as those five star hotels.

Although their housekeeping isn't up to the mark of a five star hotel, I would find it being a great stay, as the hotel is new and their staff are very helpful. Overall given it's location near to famous markets, food eatery and shopping district. I would say the overall rating of this property is very good.

Room Tip: Higher floors facing the shopping area would be a better choice. We had our rooms facing the opposit...
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This hotel is supposed to be a 5 star hotel, but trust me - it is definitely not a 5 star hotel. Do not get tempted by the swimming pool and the pictures of the rooms, because that is the only good about this hotel. The service all around is terrible (closer to a 0 star hotel).

So what did disappoint us so much? Well here it is:
1) We arrived on a Friday, on Saturday our room was not cleaned at all (we thought it was a bit weird, but ignored the fact), it was not cleaned on Sunday (I went down to the reception and complained about the service quality and they cleaned it afterwards), it was also not cleaned on Monday (I went again down to the reception and complained - they had no apology for such a bad supposedly 5 star service). I guess they started to understand that I request from them to clean the room every day and it was cleaned on Tuesday. But ... this is definitely not acceptable.
2) The room itself was in sort of a bad shape when we arrived - the phone in the room did not work (had to go down to the reception and ask to fix it), and not all lights in the room were working. The phone in the bathroom was fixed to the wall with a tape (weird).
3) The cleaning staff was not up to the task of replacing dirty spoons that we placed in the sink (they just put them back next to the tea cups). This I would definitely not expect from a 5 star hotel. They also were not up to the task of removing empty shower gel and shampoo bottles from the bathroom.
4) They serve remains from the previous day in the breakfast. How do I know it? Well... we went down to have breakfast on our last day quite early (at 7 AM) and when I tried to take some cooked eggs they were stuck to the pan. As the pan was half empty and we were almost the first ones having breakfast, it must have been from the day before. One of the staff members noticed that I tried to scrape the eggs off quite demonstratively and replaced the pan with “fresher” eggs. But … because of this incident I would give 0 stars to this hotel. Food from the day before cannot be a standard in such a hotel.
5) Check-out – be assured that you will need at least 15 minutes for that as they send someone to your room to check if you haven't stolen anything.
6) The doormen – do not accept their offer of getting a taxi from them. They have some sort of a cartel going on with the taxi drivers next to the hotel entrance. If you don't want to get ripped off, walk out of the hotel and catch a taxi going by on the street. This way you will save money.
7) The staff barely speaks English – be prepared for that as well. And … the hotel does not have a policy for apologising for the terrible service they offer.
So … our verdict – STAY AWAY if you want to fully enjoy your vacation or stay in Bangkok.

Room Tip: STAY AWAY - this hotel is not worth the stay. But if you happen to be there, be sure to stay in the...
2 Thank Marcis P
Johor Bahru
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I had make a room booking in Dec 2013 for stay in Feb 2014 through the hotel website but subsequently decided to cancel the booking in Jan 2014 due to the protest in BKK. It seems like the hotel has outsourced the website booking process to a travel agency - Blue House Travel Co. Ltd. which is also known as "hotels2thailand.com". For your information,I have yet to receive the refund until today which is 2 months later. Despite my numerous emails to the reservation officer, the only reply is " the refund is in the process". Therefore, I strongly recommend to those who is interested in this hotel, please don't book through the hotel website, in case you want to cancel the booking, you may end up losing 7% of the total deposit as the cancellation fee or the whole sum that you have paid! Just like me!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family