“Great Choice for Bangkok”

The Berkeley Hotel Pratunam
Ranked #228 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Lancashire
“Great Choice for Bangkok”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We were given rooms in the north tower which involves a lift from the lobby to floor 11 and then a 2 minute walk past a convention area and the pool to get another lift up to our room. It was a bit baffling at first but you soon orientate yourself.

The room was a corner room with great views over Bangkok. It was very spacious with a comfortable bed and efficient aircon. The bathroom just had a shower but was very nicely appointed - I was unable to get hot water from the handbasin but to be honest, it wasn't a problem and I didn't complain. There was ample hot water in the shower. Wi-Fi worked well and was free.

The pool area was lovely, affording great views from its 11th floor location. As in most hotels, drinks around the pool were quite expensive. Some of our party arranged a trip to the River Kwai through the hotel's booking service and were pleased with their experience.

The hotel is situated close to fashion and IT malls and also close to the river taxis. These are mainly used by Bangkok workers and residents and can be quite baffling to visitors. They go quite speedily and pull up side curtains during travel to protect passengers from the spray but that also means that if you're a stranger, you don't know where you are! The river taxi is very convenient to visit Jim Thompson's house and they are a very inexpensive way of getting around quickly - just be prepared to end up somewhere you hadn't planned - all part of the fun in exploring a new city.

The hotel is fairly new and the lobby area is large and well appointed. We didn't book breakfasts as we ate out in the malls and other places so can't comment on the food although the restaurant looked very nice.

If visiting Bangkok in the future, I would definitely look at re-visiting The Berkeley.

Room Tip: Higher rooms will have better views.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank thaliman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Poznan, Poland
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I've stayed only one night in the hotel, the North Tower. I don't mind walking between towers, it took just about three minutes to get from the reception to the room on 35th floor.
Staff was polite, but very official so you didn't feel like in Thailand really.
Rooms are really nice, big, clean and modern. Bathroom is awesome. However, I didn't have warm water while I stayed what was a bit strange for 5* hotel...
It's quite cold in the room (cold means nice in that case) without even turning on the aircon so I was curious how was that possible.
Pool is small and doesn't look that amazing as on their photos. It's also open in very strange hourse and was closed after 7pm what makes it useless for people who want to enjoy a bit of the city.
It's also great location for shopping, but a bit far away from the right touristic city center. You need to remember that taxis usually does not want to use meter and they will charge you five times more than they should to get to any attraction. I tried to catch the taxi with meter, then any that could took me to the river, but it took me 40 minutes and I failed (even having about 2 months experience in that area)...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Very big hotel.Stayed @ the north tower 34 th floor so it takes some time to get to the lobby area.Rooms Ok but I have seen better once for sure.Spa was awesome.Bit expensive but at least no hanki panki.Hardcore shopping just around the corner.

• Stayed April 2014
Ocean Grove, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed 3 nights in the main tower, service was great, rooms were clean. The pool was lovely. We hired a private driver at the information counter on the 11th floor, to take us on a day tour. It was a good day, just be careful they do exaggerate a bit when it comes to what they can do for you, however all in all a good day

Room Tip: We stayed in the main tower on the 19th floor, no traffic noise at all.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Theshortestview
Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We spent 3 nights in North Tower on the 21st floor. We didn´t mind walking between buildings. Because of the size of the hotel the staff in reception was very official. They just did their job without real kindness. The men in corridors were more friendly!
We were there on the election day, so there were no alcohol sold in the hotel, it was a bit odd.
The location is good, you can even walk to the big shopping centres.
We had huge rooms without breakfast, so we bought it every morning. It´s worth paying.

Room Tip: The rooms are big enough for the family, who have two small kids. The beds and the room were huge. O...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I found the hotel nice and clean.
However we were given a room on the 33rd floor which meant we had to walk a long way between two towers and take two lifts to get to the ground floor.
I wouldn't stay at this hotel again because of this.
It is close to Platinum shopping mall which is great but I probably would stay at the Novotel on top of Platinum next time.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Tracyc4
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed there for 5 nights and seriously if not for Ms Attitaya from the front office who provided excellent services, I would have checked out all 3 rooms at day 1. Services rendered was so bad that makes me wonder if I am in a 4* hotel or a 2* hostel.

Called the telephone operator to request for a bottle opener and it took 5 calls to finally pick up my call. Instead of transferring me to the room service dept, they simply gave me an extension to dial. It took room service 20 minutes to send the opener up and the room service guy told me to hurry up with the opener. I told him politely that I intend to leave it in the room and he told me another guest is waiting for it and they only have 1 to pass around. WOW!

Water temperature was either too hot or too cold. It's impossible to get it to the right temperature. After checking with the other 2 rooms, we realized that this problem is not only for 1 room. Called the duty manager to feedback about this and her response actually stunned all of us. She told us that she would send her housekeeping staff to teach us how to use the shower as we don't know how to use the shower head. I kindly informed her that this is not the first time I checked in to a hotel and definitely not the first time I am using a normal shower head.

Excellent location for shopping as it's near to all the shopping area like Platinum mall, centralworld, pratunam night market. There's also a mini night market just outside the hotel which is enjoyable. A good hotel if you don't care about the services.

A special thanks to Ms Attitaya for the lovely arrangement as this trip is for my parents wedding anniversary.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ben5252

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels