“Good location with reasonable price ”

The Berkeley Hotel Pratunam
Ranked #219 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is a bit old but location was the reason I chosen this hotel.
I got a room in the corner in north tower and it is really big on 20 floor.
Recommend to people who love Thai style chicken rice (Pink T-Shirt) because it is only 20 meters away. And 5 minutes you will be in Big C or Central World.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 May 2014

From the lobby to the cafe and the rooms there is an air of class and luxury. We stayed at the luxury corner suite and i like the glass walls overlooking the entire city and the pool. Its better at night when all lights are lit up. 2 queen size bed is enough for 4pax but they asked for extra 1500 baht for extra person including buffet breakfast though i didn't ask for additional mattress. Toilet and bath is big and there is even a space for dressing up.
Buffet breakfast has a wide variety of food, i especially like the jndian food and the breads.
We didnt try any of the ammenities coz we are into shopping all day. The hotel has an entrance to the connecting Palladium mall where you can find garments at a reasonable price.
I find the pillows too high it hurts my neck and nape.

Room Tip: North tower is also okay not really far to walk.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank rossManila
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Good location in the Pratunam area, close to the Platinum shopping center and a short walk from the upscale malls in the Sukhumvit area. The mall is also connected to a shopping mall, but its a bit of a dreary place to shop.

Decent sized rooms with the standard 4-star hotel amenities, although there is no iron and ironing board in the room. Rooms are fairly clean, but I spotted a hair in the shower stall right after checking into the room. Note that the hotel is made up of 2 towers, and you will need to walk a bit to get to rooms in the north tower.

Breakfast buffet spread was extensive, but did not change much from day to day. The Asian breakfast options were more interesting than the western ones.

The staff that I encountered at the front desk, restaurant and concierge were all very courteous and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The hotel service is the worst I've seen. For over a month I'm traveling and staying in hotels In Thailand, some high-class hotels and some lower level, but the service level of Berkeley hotel is the lowest.
I was staying in Berkeley six nights. Initially I booked three nights through the Internet (dates 3-6.5.14), and even got booking confirmation.
During the traveling in Thailand, I decided to extend the stay in Bangkok and asked to arrive at the 30.4 (instead of 3 nights, 6 nights). After numerous emails, it was approved.
I arrived to the hotel, at 30 Apr. At first sight, the hotel looks impressive. Then I discover how the room and mostly the shower are not clean.
In my first night, I heard noises near the door appeared from time to time, every 20 minutes, which disturbed my sleep.
The next day I announced that to the reception, they said they would send someone, but ignored and did not sent. The other night I asked for check the noise source. They offer me to replace a room, I agree, but they ignore again and did not replace the room.
On the third night, after returning from a busy day, I discovered that my room is locked.
When I asked about the meaning of that, the man in the reception told me that there is a problem with my payment (that was approved over a month ago) and the payment was not approved. Although I was staying in this hotel f for three days before, they did not bother to tell me that might be an issue fee and just locked my room.
I felt disrespect from the employees in the reception, although they smile all the time.

One more things, is the elevators. There are more than 30 floors in these hotels.
During my staying, a group of visitors were staying in this hotel. Waiting for elevators was very long time.

I would never recommend this hotel and never come back to it.
There are a lot of other hotels in the same area

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank תומר ש
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Good location, friendly staffs and clean room. Will be my choice of hotel the next time I visit Bangkok again. There's like a night market right outside the hotel at night. So if you have not done enough shopping during the day, there's more just at the door step. Very near platinum mall too.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cosyz
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I spent a week here back in September 2013 in a Family Premier (Triple) Room. This hotel has all the trappings of a five-star hotel in terms of the decor and amenities without any reliable service of note (more on this later). Its central location in the Pratunam area also makes it a very accessible hotel for most travellers getting to other parts of Bangkok (as a matter of fact, it's just a 5-minute walk away from the main shopping belt).

Notwithstanding the fact the Family Premier (Triple) Rooms are located in the North Tower (which would involve a transfer of elevators via a connecting walkway to get to the room from the hotel's entrance), the spacious rooms are very nicely decorated and adequately furnished. It certainly provides a comfortable respite from the chaos synonymous with everything else Bangkok has to offer. The presence of a pool (which we had little time to use) also offers a nice touch for travellers who appreciate such facilities in a hotel.

Due to the sheer scale of the hotel, its breakfast buffet spread is very extensive - I found the Western options pretty decent with a good spread. While the variety is hardly changed from day to day, the extensive fare offered compensates for the little change in variety as the options available are at least 5 times what you would reasonably expect of a boutique hotel.

A perplexing feature during my stay entails the way the hotel deposits are calculated at check-in - while most other hotels in Bangkok and other parts of Asia collect a fixed sum, Berkeley Pratunam calculates the deposit on a per night basis. This does not make sense considering the refundable deposit merely serves as a collateral for any potential damage to the room's amenities/equipment which could be assessed during the daily housekeeping.

One area of the hotel I find a complete hit-and-miss is the service rendered as it seems to differ from staff to staff (without the slightest standards set consistently across the hotel) and the quality of service rendered is at the complete discretion of the staff approached.

Examples of atrocious/non-existent service:
- At the made-to-order omelette station at breakfast, you get to pick your ingredients for the chef to cook for you; on my first day, he very willingly went out of the way and acceded to my request of including bacon (which is not actually in the ingredients available at the egg-frying station) in the omelette; on one of the subsequent days, he refused to even cook an omelette with the chosen ingredients placed in front of him (instead pointing to the standard omelettes prepared in advance for guests to help themselves to if they did not wish to wait for their made-to-order omelettes) until I called the manager over
- When the Wifi was not working at the restaurant during breakfast, I was advised by the manager to check with the reception
- When I tried enquiring on directions to certain places at the reception, the manager simply refused to provide any answer and insisted I join a hotel-sanctioned tour instead

Examples of extraordinarily outstanding service:
- There's a porter named Aphisit working the morning shift who would tirelessly and gladly translate my instructions/requests into Thai to help me on directions (he even went the extra mile of advising me on taking public buses - whose signages are predominantly Thai - to get to my destinations)
- The hotel does not have any power sockets that cater to international travellers. When I requested for an adapter one night, a receptionist arranged for an electrician to send one to my room for the duration of my stay. Despite their limited English resulting in the failure to understand the specific adapter I required, the electrician eventually delivered the correct adapter for plugs used in the Commonwealth at the third attempt

In short, this is a hotel suitable for travellers who value its accessibility, recreational facilities like a swimming pool and standard amenities like buffet breakfast coming in the form of self-service food stations without expecting any touch of personalized service (which may not necessarily be bad if you approached the right people as illustrated above, but could be completely disastrous on many other occasions) as I think the Berkeley Pratunam still has some way to go to establishing a reasonable level of service on a consistent basis for a hotel of a similar standing.

Given the price for the overall quality of the facility, Berkeley Pratunam remains a premium choice should I be looking for an accommodation in the Pratunam area.

Room Tip: Request for a room on a high floor if you would like to get a good view of Bangkok's skyline at...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank edtkh
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have to admit that I was very hesitant in choosing this hotel after reading several negative reviews about it here. But the price at the point of booking was too good to pass. My family and I stayed at a deluxe room on the main tower. The room was not too crammed even after adding a third bed. Good selection of channels on TV. Good variety of breakfast with western (bread + cereal) and eastern (fried rice) mix. Most importantly, the hotel is located at a convenient location - walking distance from most shopping malls around the area. All in all, nothing much to complain about and certainly an improvement from the usual hotel that we stay at (bangkok city inn).

Room Tip: Choose the rooms on the main tower.
Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family