“Unmissable”

US$80.00*
Private Tour: Jim Thompson House and Suan Pakkad Palace Museum Tour
Ranked #11 of 552 things to do in Bangkok
More attraction details
Owner description: This former home of an American named Jim Thompson, who started the Thai silk industry after World War II, houses a magnificent collection of Asian art and many unique displays.
London
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Unmissable”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The architect and textile designer Jim Thompson loved Bangkok so much that he built himself a house. It is very special and well worth seeing, you can only visit it via an excellent and informative 40 minute guided tour (in english if required). There's a fantastic shop - but if you can bear to wait until leaving prices are cheaper at the airport shops.

2 Thank Nice-Nous

• Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Finally found this place!”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This place is not easy to find (before the time of Google Maps) but I finally managed to visit the place. It's tucked away at the end of a soi near National Stadium BTS.

All trips through the property are guided by tourguides who speak a variety of languages. We have the fortune of having a guide who spoke excellent English and has an exceptional sense of humour. Her punchlines and witty anecdotes kept us laughing away throughout the 35-min tour, which took us through the few different stilt houses that Jim Thompson combined to become his palace in the tropics.

Felt the tour's a tad short but still a very fulfilling experience.

1 Thank ellcrius
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Tour guide Jim Thomson's make fun to my ear :(”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

While I'm deep with Jim Thomson house The tour guide point to me in front of another tourists. She said I have big ear and she laughing??? She said my life was long or short it depend on my ear and try to make everyone continue analized what she just said with my ear! Next room I keeping quiet and keeping space to her but the room was tiny so still not to far from her. Then she bring it to me again she call everyone and start story with my ear again c'mon what a manners I was so up set. I really want to disappear why she did it to me? I told her " I'm sorry I'm not your friend please stop playing with my ear I knew I have big ear but I don't want you to mention it I am your customer ... Please stop and continue your job." About 20 tourist was silent some are looking at her and walk away. This is very bad.

4 Thank totos265
Scotland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Fascinating Story”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We didn't think we would have time to visit Jim Thompson's House but I am glad we did.
The house is situated near the National Stadium & is a short walk from the Skytrain station.
Everyone has to go on a tour & you have to wait until the next tour in your chosen language. If you do have a wait, check out the grounds which have lovely ponds with Koi Carp & turtles as well as flowers & silk buds.
The tour guides are very well informed, providing a detail insight into Jim Thompson's life & where/how he acquired the mass of antiques within his home. It is a beautiful building & I would thoroughly recommend a visit!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank glowworm27
Melbourne, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Jim Thompson House”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Very interssting house with a good story well worth a visit. Very close to MBK Shopping centre and Skytrain. Has a nice restaurant on site as well.