“Familiar, well run, attentive, great breakfast choices”

Eastin Hotel Makkasan
Ranked #198 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Kololi, Gambia
“Familiar, well run, attentive, great breakfast choices”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I have stayed here several times in rooms from the cheapest on offer to the best exec room up in the clouds, all are good value for money. The room booked was a bargain superior this time, was well appointed, large and with a very comfortable bed. There was a little faffing about whilst it was clarified what had actually been booked through Ago'. The bathroom was spacious with plenty of hot water although at 6' tall the bath seemed to me to be better suited to a gnome. The view of the spaghetti junction behind Makkasan provided us with endless amusement at the ceaseless jam of yawnful japanese tin. The breakfast is a great highlight, the omelettes are perfection and can get as close to an 'English breakfast' as is possible in Bkk. The breakfast room is vast and well managed, although its a pity there is no volume control supplied on some of the boisterous guests who delight in bawling out their commands to their 'compatriots' 25 metres distant. The Eastin was full this weekend so I have decanted to the Ramada next door, review to follow...

Room Tip: Book according to your budget, each room unlikely to disappoint.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Durbanville, South Africa
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed at the Eastin with my wife and 2 daughters during a family holiday to Thailand. We arrived early and the staff was extremely helpful and got us to our room as soon as possible - they were busy cleaning it. The room was comfortable , big enough for 4 and very clean. My girls rushed to the pool which was an absolute delight. Not the nicest looking, but practical - long enough to get decent excercise. Gym was good. Very friendly staff everywhere. Breakfast good with wide variety. The hotel is a bit far from the major shopping areas, but we didn't mind the walk as there are many street vendors where you can buy things to eat etc. and there was always a taxi outside the hotel. I can highly recommend this hotel for business people, families or couples. Can't go wrong with the Eastin

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Toward the end of April 2013 I stayed here 4 nights. I think one of the best features of this hotel is the welcoming air conditioned cool air you feel as soon as you open the lobby door. April is Thailand's hottest month and believe me this chilled lobby was a wonderful place to be. Check in was painless, but not quick, friendly too. I stayed on the 27th floor, which was fantastic as I had a corner room (2724) and therefore had views out of two sides. First impressions count and my first impression of this hotel was of one that was clean, modern with well trained staff. Upon entering my room I was not disappointed. It was a large room, by international standards, and had all the fittings one looks for. My room passed my barefoot test with ease, the bed was large, firm and had crisp, clean linen. Plenty of cupboard space, desk to work from, decent size bathroom and an electronic wall safe and mini-bar rounded off a solid 4 star room. Two bottles of complimentary water per day was a nice touch and much needed. The room was excellently serviced each day and I have only two complaints. Firstly, to get the TV to show a normal TV channel is quite a long process, I wished there was a simple shortcut button, but one had to go through the customer page to select TV etc etc; it was a pain. Maybe there was a shortcut that I had not seen, I hope so. Secondly, my shower head decided to burst off the shower pipe midway through my final shower. Looking closely at the head now lying at my feet I could see that someone had tried before to reattach it but it would appear that this little head had other ideas. I pushed it back into position as best I could and continued my shower without further mishap. I must confess that I forgot to inform reception upon checking out; my apologies to the next visitor to 2724. This hotel has a wonderful indoor/outdoor bar on the 23rd floor. It is a must to visit for a nightcap as the views of the Bangkok night skyline are terrific. Their pool is also a welcome attraction, although shade was at a premium, and much needed. Two other points of frustration I need to mention. Their free Wi-Fi; it works like a charm when you are logged in, however, one needs to login multiple times. If you are logged in and keylock your phone, effectively putting in standby mode, then when you wake it you need to login again. If you login in your room and go downstairs and then back into your room, you need to login again. If you move from your room to the lobby you need to login to the lobby hotspot etc. A very irritating setup. We found it easier to eat dinner at restaurants that give you free WiFi as there you only had to login once. Secondly, the check out procedure was long. Leave yourself a good 20 minutes to check out, do not cut it fine. It didn't help that they only had one poor lady on reception at the time we were checking out; I was just glad that we were not in a rush. Would I stay here again if I ever return to Bangkok? Yes. Why? It's a pleasant place to be that offers everything you want in 4 star without charging the earth. While it is a little out of the way, a fun Tuk-tuk ride to just about anywhere is only 50 Baht away.

Room Tip: 2724 with a fixed shower head is a winner
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 8 May 2013

i had stayed in bangkok many times this is the best hotel. i have stayed in eastin over 4 times
The staff are very friendly and helpful.The hotel is very clean and hygenic.The food has a good spread and variety the family is safe ,children loves the place.Overall i guess it's the best place to stay in bangkok. We stated there for 10 days and it was really superb.We stayed on the 12 th
floor room no; 1211.

Room Tip: overall all rooms are good.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank shanjeev j
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed for 5 days during the Labour day weekend. Not impressed at all but okay enough to stay for a few days. Longer than 5 days you'll lose motivation to wake up for the same breakfast every single day.
Few pointers;
Pro:
1) within walking distance to pratunam, platinum & Big C.
2) nearby train is the airport link and bts phaya thai(one station away connecting with the airport link.
3) 7-eleven, massage parlour, cafes with free wifi are nearby.

Con:
1) Stayed at room 2422, so I can only comment the wifi connection in my room. It sucks, not consistent most of the time. And we keep having to reenter the password and login which we were given like coupons at the reception counter. Problem is, these coupons are not the similar.. It is like a lucky draw! Some would give you 1 day pass or 7 days. You will only know upon login! C'mon! It was frustrating!
Ps: Wifi in its lobby & coffee shop are wayyyyyy better.

2)Get the cab from airport instead of arranging it with hotel.
We were charged 1100BHT per way from DMK. Apparently it didn't happen upon arrival so we hired a cab from airport, cost us 800BHT and we got a Mercedes! Quite a new one and clean! We took the transfer from Eastin-DMK. Guess what it was just a Toyota Avanza. A total rip off. 300BHT difference!

3) If you are a Muslim, it's going to be a challenge to find Halal food nearby. I couldn't find any Halal Thai food.However, there are Indian & Arab restaurants. Compared to Malaysia, it is easy to trust but here in Bangkok I am not sure since there were no certificates visible except for the typical Halal signage.

So my point is, you can ge better value elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013
EMB_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Makkasan, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear Artfingers,
Greetings from Eastin Makkasan Bangkok.
I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is essential in ensuring that we rectify any problems as they occur and maintain our high standards.
It was a pleasure to read that you found our location convenient for both shopping and making Bangkok accessible with our proximity to the BTS and Airport Link.
May I sincerely apologize for the aspects of your stay that did not live up to your expectations.
I regret that you considered our breakfast to be lacking in variety as other reviewers have mentioned the wide selection of dishes we provide, including western, Indian, Japanese, Thai and a large choice of bakery items, fruits, salads, yoghurts etc.
Thank you for informing us about the strength of the Wi-Fi in your room. Our IT department has now rectified the problem. Unfortunately we have no record of a complaint of this nature during your stay as we would taken care of this while you were in residence.
I must further apologize that you considered THB 1,100 to be a “total-rip” off for our new outsourced vehicle to take you to the airport as in many cases we are cheaper than our competitors in this regard. We also guarantee that the transportation we provide through the outsource company is fully insured and maintained and the driver fully licensed and regulated for the safety and well-being of our guests which is something we cannot guarantee with a taxi from outside the hotel.
I would like to end by saying that it was a delight to serve you and on your next trip to Bangkok we hope you reconsider and choose to stay with us again.

Best regards,
Chutima Kaewta Fortescue
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

It's a very good hotel.Bit far from center bur for 100 baht per person cab gets you everiwhere.Very helpfull staff everytime helping me with tv problem . It's a good price and everything went ok.Stayed 3 nights

• Stayed May 2013
George, South Africa
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We stayed at the Eastin Makassan in Bangkok for 3 nights. Our room on the 27th floor had a magnificent view of the city that never sleeps. Rooms were lovely and staff most accommodating, looking after our luggage for a whole day as our flight was only at 1 am in the morning. Hotel also located close to skytrain station to the airport.

Room Tip: Higher floors beautiful view of city
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends